Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strength workout.....Will it get me good results?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength workout.....Will it get me good results?

I have a medicine ball which weighs about 12kgs and the other day during my workout I decided to do over head throws from one side of this field to another, about 50 - 100 metres long, I would do slight variations where I would slam the medicine ball straight down from an overhead position and then attempt to throw it as far as possible forward (still in the overhead position). Another variation was throwing it forward using an underarm throw etc.

Will this give me good results in terms of muscle tone and definition?

I play basketball so from a functional fitness point of view it will help with passing as I will have more strength when passing overhead and more power, but is there something I could add in for even better results?

Originally posted by steven.kelly View Post
    I have a medicine ball which weighs about 12kgs and the other day during my workout I decided to do over head throws from one side of this field to another, about 50 - 100 metres long, I would do slight variations where I would slam the medicine ball straight down from an overhead position and then attempt to throw it as far as possible forward (still in the overhead position). Another variation was throwing it forward using an underarm throw etc.

Will this give me good results in terms of muscle tone and definition?

I play basketball so from a functional fitness point of view it will help with passing as I will have more strength when passing overhead and more power, but is there something I could add in for even better results?
    Stronger muscles are toned muscles. Definition is more a result of low body fat percentage. You should do a proper strength training program and forget this medicine ball silliness.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Stronger muscles are toned muscles. Definition is more a result of low body fat percentage. You should do a proper strength training program and forget this medicine ball silliness.

But you'd agree, surely, that it's better than nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbeast View Post
        Love this

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbeast View Post
          In a completely untrained individual, riding your bicycle a few hours a week will increase your bench press strength. Does that mean that bicycling is a good exercise for upper body strength? Is it better than nothing? I suppose. That's a damn low standard though.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'd like it as a conditioning workout done on top of even the most basic progressive strength workout.

As far as results in strength or 'tone' I bet you'd see improvement for a month or so then you just be doing the same thing over and over without strength results.
            Last edited by bcbcbc2; 09-12-2013, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
              the most basic progressive strength workout.
              Yes. Do this.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

In a completely untrained individual, riding your bicycle a few hours a week will increase your bench press strength. Does that mean that bicycling is a good exercise for upper body strength? Is it better than nothing? I suppose. That's a damn low standard though.

I was just throwing the guy a bone, of course i would not advocate low level strength training. But it'd be adding moving and throwing to a walk around the field

Comment

Couldn't have put it any better myself !

Comment

Define a strength training program and what things it may involve

Comment

Squats, Presses, Deadlift, etc... at a reasonable percentage of your maximum strength

Time-proven to give strength gains.

Comment

Originally posted by steven.kelly View Post
                        Define a strength training program and what things it may involve
                        An effective strength-training program? In my opinion, it would have to focus on barbell squats, and also include deadlifts, presses, bench presses, probably chin-ups... Just google "novice linear progression" and pick anything that pops up, especially if it's Starting Strength.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

1. move a challenging resistance
                          2. wait at least 2 days
                          3. increase the resistance slightly
                          4. goto 1

iron is the easy way to progress resistance
                          free weights for basic compounds is best
                          machines are inferior but way better than nothing
                          a competent beginner bodybuilding workout is just fine if you're so inclined
                          but the advanced split bb stuff is retarded unless you actually are an advanced bb
                          bodyweight can work but is trickier to progress

Comment

A proper strength training program is one which concentrates solely on compound movements programmed in a linear or progressive manner. Ideally the compound movements selected should incorporate as many major muscles as possible. For that very reason, the dead lift, squat, and press will be your best choices when using a barbell. The pistol, 1-arm push up, and close grip pull up along with their associated progressions will be your best choices when using body weight.

The key is incorporating these movements with effective programming.

Comment

I've heard about you are your own gym, as anyone tried this or rate it?

Comment

Working...
                              X