Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to make sprinting fun?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
    Also, maybe you aren't actually sprinting. In a real sprint, you feel like your feet have vaporized and you've just sprouted wings, like the rest of the planet is frozen and you have conquered time and space. You start wondering if you're going to generate a sonic rainboom, and then you notice the pounding in your chest, start facing reality, and revv it down just before your heart explodes. Then you lay in the grass panting and gasping, noticing the sparkles in your vision as they throb and appear and disappear, and realize if a prey animal found you now, you'd have no chance of fighting it off because your whole body feels like lead weights. Have you really run that hard and not enjoyed it?
    Yeah, make sure the bear/Old Schhhhhhool/lion knows he's not allowed to eat/maim/eviscerate you during your rest intervals.
    The Champagne of Beards

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      Also, maybe you aren't actually sprinting. In a real sprint, you feel like your feet have vaporized and you've just sprouted wings, like the rest of the planet is frozen and you have conquered time and space. You start wondering if you're going to generate a sonic rainboom, and then you notice the pounding in your chest, start facing reality, and revv it down just before your heart explodes. Then you lay in the grass panting and gasping, noticing the sparkles in your vision as they throb and appear and disappear, and realize if a prey animal found you now, you'd have no chance of fighting it off because your whole body feels like lead weights. Have you really run that hard and not enjoyed it?
      I have wondered about that. Dr. Mercola says to use a heart rate monitor while sprinting to make sure your heart rate is in the right range to be sure that you are expending enough effort so that you know that you are really sprinting and will get results. I did get the HRM but haven't figured out how to use it yet.

      Comment


      • #18
        How to make sprinting fun? It's not fun for me, so I just don't do them. Yes, a primal law breaker here. Catch me if you can. Oh wait, I don't sprint, so catching me should be easy...

        Comment


        • #19
          Watch the Rocky 4 training scene before sprinting.

          Comment


          • #20
            Go to a crowded place and scream like an 8 year old whilst sprinting. It's fun to get others sprinting with you.

            Or you could just jump up as high as you can and cushion your landing by squating ass to grass for sets of twenty. That can be fun in an oh my god this sucks one of way.

            Comment


            • #21
              No.

              Obviously, that's my opinion. I hate sprinting. In fact, I think "hate" is not a strong enough term. Just my two cents.

              The end.

              Comment


              • #22
                I don't think you need a heart rate monitor for sprinting. You are supposed to go as all-out hard as you possibly can. And then just a little bit harder than that. The beeping of a heart rate monitor isn't going to change anything because you aren't going to slow down.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  Sprinting sucks. No getting around it. You might consider using a tabata timer. Then the total sprint session including rest is only a little over 4 minutes. I find it is safest to use an exercise bike so you don't have to worry about tripping and falling and you can close your eyes during the sprint.

                  Mark says every 7 - 10 days is enough but I have seen recommendations of 2x a week, too.
                  I have heard of this Tabatha workout and the shortness of it is really appealing. I will try this as well. Thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
                    Watch the Rocky 4 training scene before sprinting.
                    Wow, I like that. I am going to try to find that clip on YouTube. That could work.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
                      Wow, I like that. I am going to try to find that clip on YouTube. That could work.
                      You have to fight Ivan Drago afterwards, it's part of the deal.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
                        Watch the Rocky 4 training scene before sprinting.
                        It might even work to just listen to the soundtrack while doing the sprinting. I am going to try it. I have always found the soundtrack to be really motivating.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          A) track your times, and try to beat them.
                          B) if you're in the Bay Area, there are a few meetup groups that do track workouts. Sprinting with other folks could motivate. I know there used to be one at Berkeley High on Thursday nights.
                          C) tabata treadmill.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I don't think you need a heart rate monitor for sprinting. You are supposed to go as all-out hard as you possibly can. And then just a little bit harder than that. The beeping of a heart rate monitor isn't going to change anything because you aren't going to slow down.
                            I was going to ask about why in the world you'd need a monitor for maximum exertion. I mean, you're running so fast the trees look like a muddy wall. You're already putting the pedal to the metal. What good would a monitor be? There's nothing more to give!
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              tabata treadmill hill sprints are very effective at increasing V02 max

                              5-10 min warm-up

                              set incline to high
                              set speed to med-high (start with 50-80% of normal running speed)
                              sprint 20 seconds
                              jump off rest 10 seconds
                              repeat 8 times, takes 4 min
                              walk 5-10 min for recovery

                              if you are 100% exhausted at the end of 4 min then you’re doing it right
                              Scale incline and speed as needed to finish but still be giving 90-100% effort

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                                I was going to ask about why in the world you'd need a monitor for maximum exertion. I mean, you're running so fast the trees look like a muddy wall. You're already putting the pedal to the metal. What good would a monitor be? There's nothing more to give!
                                I think the point of it is to know for sure that you are doing it right. Dr. Mercola has this certain formula which is something like 220 - your age = where you max heart rate should be. He said that you should be within 10 beats of that number throughout your whole 20 minute workout. What he says is to warm up for 3 mins, sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds going all out, then exercising moderately for 90 seconds and then 30 secs all out, then 90 secs of moderate, repeating the whole thing 8 times. He is saying that your heart rate should never drop below 10 beats of the number in the formula even when you are doing the moderate part of it. So I should probably take it out of the box and read through it to make sure I am doing it right. Since I am using a mini trampoline which probably isn't ideal, my heart rate might not be getting high enough. But like I said, I need for this to be convenient and somewhat fun or I just won't do it, and I come up with every excuse imaginable not to do it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X