gaining mass on paleo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quikky View Post
    The worst is the choice to be weak in the pursuit of low body fat. I know a guy who is 5'10", who frequently asks me about strength training. My response is that he needs to work with barbells and eat more. He doesn't want to gain weight. He weighs 158lb and squats 130lb x 5.
    Yeah, that's just plain pathetically weak. What size clothes does he wear? XS-tall? Eww.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Hey, I'm like 5'10" and 157 or so, but I'm not small and pathetically weak! Not much body fat, but that's just how I roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
        Hey, I'm like 5'10" and 157 or so, but I'm not small and pathetically weak! Not much body fat, but that's just how I roll.
        I'm 5'7 and 159, probably closer to 15% than 20, and I squat in the low 300's for sets of 5 across. 130 lbs isn't even 1 plate. Anybody who makes me look strong by comparison is a weak sister indeed.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          I'm 5'7 and 159, probably closer to 15% than 20, and I squat in the low 300's for sets of 5 across. 130 lbs isn't even 1 plate. Anybody who makes me look strong by comparison is a weak sister indeed.
          We sometimes (he doesn't lift often) lift in the same gym, and I work in with him when he is doing squats to do my overhead press warm-up. It's just silly.

Another dude I know used to lift with me, and he went from 130lb to ~141lb in bodyweight. At that point he decided he was too fat, stopped lifting completely, stopped eating like before, and just switched to cardio. He is fairly short, but to think you're fat as a 141lb man is... WTF! He finished his strength training with a 105lb bench press (1RM), which of course, makes him too strong.

I just don't get how in a grown man's head, it makes sense to be as strong as an athletic teenage girl, just to have low body fat around the stomach. Nevermind the fact that you need your girlfriend's/wife's help to carry a heavy box, hey, you have abz.

Comment

We sometimes (he doesn't lift often) lift in the same gym, and I work in with him when he is doing squats to do my overhead press warm-up. It's just silly.

Another dude I know used to lift with me, and he went from 130lb to ~141lb in bodyweight. At that point he decided he was too fat, stopped lifting completely, stopped eating like before, and just switched to cardio. He is fairly short, but to think you're fat as a 141lb man is... WTF! He finished his strength training with a 105lb bench press (1RM), which of course, makes him too strong.

I just don't get how in a grown man's head, it makes sense to be as strong as an athletic teenage girl, just to have low body fat around the stomach. Nevermind the fact that you need your girlfriend's/wife's help to carry a heavy box, hey, you have abz.
            Keep these stories coming. I'm feeling strong reading them.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'll be the first to admit that I'm still a bit chubby. With the small amount of weight training I have been doing, my limbs have filled out decently, but I still carry some fat through the belly, chest, neck. That's why I want to start lifting heavy and put on muscle to sort of balance myself out.

From what I'm hearing, continuing to eat paleo, adding good carbs, and the occasional cheat day will suit my nutritional needs?
              Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Comment

I guess I should add that I don't want to look like a bodybuilder or anything, but I would like to look like someone that works out when I'm wearing a suit. (if that makes sense)

Comment

If you are 6'2, 225 is pretty good bench mark. My amateur estimation is that men should aim to be around 3lbs per inch of height for strength/utility purposes. So a short 5' guy should be around 180lbs, and a big guy at 7' should be around 252lbs. A 75 inch 6'3 guy will be filled out well at 225lbs. If you are a guy like RichMahogany and compete in a fighting sport that requires a weight class, it's probably optimal to be less. 15% body fat is also probably the gold standard for year round utility purposes. Allows for enough strength and size to handle your affairs, but you can still take your shirt off at the beach without scaring the children (provided you aren't as pale as Casper).

If carrying a couple extra pounds for the goal of strength loses you a potential mate, find a better one.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    Keep these stories coming. I'm feeling strong reading them.
                    How about the Gym Douche of the Year award recipient:

I had a squat, bench, chin workout day. I was at a big commercial gym working out with my friend, using the squat rack. We finished with the squats, and it was time for bench.

This gym has three flat benches, two of which were in use. The one in the middle had a guy sitting on it, with no weight on the bar. We decided to wait a bit to see if he's starting to warm up. He got up and started doing fast half-curls (from bottom to 90 degrees) with the bar. I glanced at my friend. Let's ask this gentleman about the bench...

"Hey, are you using the bench?"
                    "Yes"
                    "Are you going to bench?"
                    "No, I am doing supersets"
                    "...Okay... How many sets do you have left"
                    "Two"
                    "..."

Get this, he then gets up from the bench where he was doing his half-curls, walks over to the chest press machine, and starts doing fast half presses on the machine! For this, he gets the Gym Douche of the Year award.

I later saw him do fast half-shrugs with 225lb and wrist straps. He's awesome.

Comment

3 lbs per inch is a pretty common standard for maximizing leverages on the joints, Dickson, so you're right on target there. I'm currently pushing the bodyfat to 16-20% (well, trying to) as a temporary measure to facilitate muscle gains, but I agree, I'd be happy "walking around" in the 15% range when I get my body weight up to a decent level.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Personally I don't care much about my size; I just want to be big enough to scare off the powerlifter guys when doing dumbbell curl inside the power rack...
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, at 6'3 240 and about 22% body fat, hoping to get sub-20. I've been very slowly cutting for about 2 months, and now that I've upped the carbs and cut the fat I am getting there without losing my hard earned gains.

Also, Jer3728, I assumed since RM and Quikky were posting it had already been prescribed, but Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe would be the perfect book for you. Don't try to just figure it out via the internet, buy it and learn the lifts. Your diet plus some milk should quickly fill out your suit nicely.

I started SS much like you, around ~215lbs of bodyweight. Admittedly, my diet of Fast Food and milk made me fatter. However, my body fat % stayed roughly the same, and I gained nearly 20lbs of LBM in 8 months. It was a bad ratio of fat gain for sure, but now I realize it was worth taking a pathetic untrained 95lb squat up towards a respectable number.
                          Last edited by Dickson; 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM. Reason: I originally wrote "diet of McDonalds and milk", but I have to be honest: I didn't discriminate

Comment

Thanks Dickson, just ordered it on Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by Jer37208 View Post
                              Thanks Dickson, just ordered it on Amazon
                              Good decision.

Comment

Good decision.
                                +1. No matter what Gorbag says.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X