20 rep squats.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 rep squats.....

So today I figured I would mix up my leg workout a bit so I decided to try 20 rep squats.....
    I almost threw up at the up at the end of 20th rep.... if you are looking for a killer leg workout... look them up...
    they are defiantly something I will be adding to my workout routine more often....

Any body else done these before?

ouch..

I'm actually going the other way for the next 2.5 weeks.. I've been using low weight with high reps.. now I'm trying to bulk up.. low reps, high weight

Comment

I used to do those along with 100 rep leg presses. Good to mix those in. Olympic speed skater Eric Heiden included 15 minute squats with 225 lbs in his training, and had 29 in. thighs. He claimed he never squatted more than 300 lbs.

Comment

Can you walk today?

Comment

I don't know ... what would a typical modern Grok person need 29" thighs for? My thighs are huge already, and I would rather want them to shrink.
          MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

primalclubber- how did you do 100 afterwards!?!? i had a tough enough time doing my 12-10-8-8. I could not picture doing 100.... did you do a reverse pyramid or just a lot of sets. dont tell me you did 100 in row!

and arthurb999- my legs are sore, but they really only bother me when I am going up stairs, or start to stand up. But it is a good sore, so I cannot complain about it.

I am looking forward to doing these again soon!

Comment

Originally posted by GrockinOut View Post
              primalclubber- how did you do 100 afterwards!?!? i had a tough enough time doing my 12-10-8-8. I could not picture doing 100.... did you do a reverse pyramid or just a lot of sets. dont tell me you did 100 in row!

I am looking forward to doing these again soon!
              I meant that these two leg workouts was part of my regimen. It was either one or the other, not in the same workout nor in the same week even. The 100 repper was one all out set, never released tension. Took up to 10 minutes to do. You don't need a lot of weight, I think I only used 4 plates. I only did it once or twice a month, or when the memory of the ordeal fades. I tried a 20-rep squat with 225 lbs once (weighed 180 at the time) and it took over ten minutes to do, never racking it. Never again.

Eric Heiden happened to use those genetically freaky 29" thighs to win 5 speed skating gold medals at the Winter Olympics at Lake Placid in 1980, along with a successful stint as a professional cyclist afterwards. I saw him at a road race in SF in the mid-80's. No, he wasn't your average grokker. I just used him as an example that high volume sets can be effective and have been used in the past successfully.
              Last edited by primalclubber; 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrockinOut View Post
                So today I figured I would mix up my leg workout a bit so I decided to try 20 rep squats.....
                I almost threw up at the up at the end of 20th rep.... if you are looking for a killer leg workout... look them up...
                they are defiantly something I will be adding to my workout routine more often....

Any body else done these before?
                That's called a widow-maker. Sometimes I'll finished up my squat workout with 20 reps @ 315 pounds.

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
                I don't know ... what would a typical modern Grok person need 29" thighs for? My thighs are huge already, and I would rather want them to shrink.
                31" thighs here and I'm hoping they stay that way. Most people here want to look like Mark Sisson, some don't, me included. I like being big, sorry.
                I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

^ I fully agree that legs should be trained along with the rest of the body. BTW: I'm only getting into squatting ... I've been using the leg press before and managed to do 10x660lbs (already adjusted for angle etc). Ironically I'm not even training for that ... maybe my long history of cycling (mountain bike) caused my quads to atrophy. But seriously: How often do you need to be able to lift 660lbs in real life? I'd rather trade that strength for increased endurance (I *suck* at distance running).
                  MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Damn it I cannot weight until my foot is healed so I can do the infamous 20 rep squats. It will be the first thing I do when I get back in the game.
                    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by Jokaman70 View Post
                      That's called a widow-maker. Sometimes I'll finished up my squat workout with 20 reps @ 315 pounds.

31" thighs here and I'm hoping they stay that way. Most people here want to look like Mark Sisson, some don't, me included. I like being big, sorry.
                      I used to want to be big - "black and huge" to be exact (any GWAR fans?) I spent a good number of years as a 5'-10" 215lb bodybuilder. It sucked now that I look back on it. I really like being lighter these days at 186 lbs. Clothes fit much, much better (I still have trouble finding clothes though because of the large difference between chest and waist measurements) and I don't feel like a lumbering hulk.
                      My photography:
                      http://www.swiftimages.net

Comment

Agreed with Jokaman: The Widowmaker

It's called the Widowmaker because you're actually supposed to be using your 10 rep max to start and moving on from there. Using a "light" weight really isn't the original idea. On the other hand, if you are doing a 20 repper as the last set or something, then you probably won't be able to do your 10 rep max anyway. I still think it should be moderately heavy though, at least heavy enough so that @ 20 reps your lungs are on fire.

'Super Squats' was written to be done for ~6 weeks, workouts 2-3 times per week with a 20 repper every training day. You start with your 10 rep max and increase the weight from there.

@Mike: Again, not everyone wants to be small and "fit". Some people want to be big. Not everyone gives a shit about function. I've seen that argument a lot: "ZOMG it's not functional" to which the response by the bigger, stronger person usually answering the comment by someone small and weak "I don't care, and you're still small".

It could be argued that Olyympic lifting isn't all that great either, but I like doing it. Some people don't want to be just average bro. Some us lift, grunt, yell and otherwise look like we are murderously possessed when we train. Again, not everyone wants to be average.
                        Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

Fury I love your attitude.

You have defined goals of what you want your body to be and a plan to get there.

Are you following much of Pavel Tsatsouline's concepts?

Comment

Originally posted by Fury22 View Post
                            Agreed with Jokaman: The Widowmaker

@Mike: Again, not everyone wants to be small and "fit". Some people want to be big. Not everyone gives a shit about function. I've seen that argument a lot: "ZOMG it's not functional" to which the response by the bigger, stronger person usually answering the comment by someone small and weak "I don't care, and you're still small".

It could be argued that Olyympic lifting isn't all that great either, but I like doing it. Some people don't want to be just average bro. Some us lift, grunt, yell and otherwise look like we are murderously possessed when we train. Again, not everyone wants to be average.

Bigger doesn't always equal stronger. But I agree, training hard is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Vick View Post
                              Fury I love your attitude.

You have defined goals of what you want your body to be and a plan to get there.

Are you following much of Pavel Tsatsouline's concepts?
                              Thanks man! TBH I've never read much of his stuff, just what's available online. I want to read Power to the People just to get an idea of how exactly his systems work, and because it's been used by others to make similar training systems for different areas of fitness.

Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
                              Bigger doesn't always equal stronger. But I agree, training hard is awesome
                              Totally agree and I never said it did. There's a lot of guys out there who are huge but not anywhere near as strong as they look, but then again they probably don't care. For bodybuilding, no one really cares how much you can deadlift, just how you look onstage and how you present your physique there. In powerlifting and weightlifting, no one cares how you look, just how much you can lift. Strongman as well, although recently there has been a turn towards more aethestic strongmen for the marketing factor. Back in the day, most strongmen were fat and really unpleasing to look at, whereas now most are still enormous but much easier on the eyes (take Marius Pudzianowski, Phil Phister, even the Scandanavians like Magnus or Sven Karlsen). But overall it's all about what you want. Outside of MDA, a lot of guys (and sometimes girls) want to be bigger or stronger than average and stronger/bigger than necessary.

That's why I hate it when people start whining about it not being functional or whatever, since it's usually small and weak people doing the complaining. I'm not big, at all. In the least. 5'11" ~165 last time I checked (maybe about 170 now), but I'm still pretty strong and usually anybody who does weightlifting stands out (most people have never seen it in person outside of the Reverse Power Curls in high school (usually called hang cleans there). Is it necessary?? No. Would I be better off now as a 2nd Lieutenant (as of yesterday!!) to do something that may translate better in military fitness? Probably. But I like it, so I'll do it regardless of real world application.

Although it could be said that O'lifting does have a good bit of real world translation.
                              Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

Working...
                              X