How to improve lung capacity for cardio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve lung capacity for cardio

I've been trying to do some short jogs (2-3 miles) once a week or so but my problem is my lack of lung capacity. The truth is, I don't like running but my husband does it regularly and wants me to go with him when I can. I hate holding him up though because when I have to stop, he stops too. Also, I'm gearing up for a Big Climb (climbing up 69 story building) later in the year and want to be more prepared than last year so I can beat my time. What recommendations do you have to build lung capacity? What is the best breathing technique?

It doesn't sound like your problem is breathing technique. But just needing to put some mileage on your running shoes. Sprints will help. Doing stair climbs will help the most for you Big Climb.

Comment

It sounds like lack of conditioning, which gradually gets built up overtime. You also have to make sure you are well hydrated and your electrolytes(sodium, potassium, maybe magnesium too) are balanced. If you are on a very low-carb diet, those get depleted quickly. Also, it could be quite challenging to built and maintain conditioning without getting sufficient carbs. Don't know if that's how you eat, though.

Comment

Thanks Graycat! I am doing low carb right now - anywhere from 30-50 a day. So on days that I jog, I should include more carbs it sounds like. Also, should I include a magnesium supplement?

Comment

Originally posted by jodi29 View Post
          So on days that I jog, I should include more carbs it sounds like. Also, should I include a magnesium supplement?
          Back when I used to eat low-carb, I couldn't run unless I had at least 100g of carbs the previous day. I'm an early morning, fasted state exerciser. For you, some full sodium broth about an hour pre-workout can really help too.
          Magnesium citrate supplement is beneficial to just about anyone, as most people are deficient. I take 500mg. at bed time. It helps with sleep and regularity as well.

Comment

Thanks so much! Going to buy some magnesium tonight

Comment

tabata treadmill hill sprints are very effective at increasing V02 max

5-10 min warm-up

set incline to high
              set speed to med-high (start with 50-80% of normal running speed)
              sprint 20 seconds
              jump off rest 10 seconds
              repeat 8 times, takes 4 min
              walk 5-10 min for recovery

if you are 100% exhausted at the end of 4 min then you’re doing it right
              Scale incline and speed as needed to finish but still be giving 90-100% effort

Comment

I've also found that the Viking Warrior Conditioning protocol (15 sec hard/15 sec rest -- 80 rounds/40 minutes - you will have to work your way up to it) has done wonders for me. I use it for all kinds of exercises, not just KB snatches. I like a pushup/squat couplet: 15 sec pushups, 15 sec rest, 15 sec squats, 15 sec rest. Most I've ever done is a bit over 20 min - but even though I'm wiped out, I come back stronger. And I have better overall strength, "body confidence" and movement. Only running will train your body to do a lot of running - but overall conditioning helps a lot.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I take 500mg. at bed time. It helps with sleep and regularity as well.

Comment

Bicycling helped me improve my cardio for running. It's much easier for me and much more fun. I now cycle to work and am trying to run 3x a week (for the Couch to 5k program).
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Tell your husband to run on his own. This is why running sucks as a group exercise.

Try working your aerobic system. That means you should be going slowly enough that you just barely feel out of breath, or even that you have no problem breathing. That might be a fast walk for you at this point. If you feel like you can't breathe enough air, your body has shifted into anaerobic mode, which is going to wear you down a lot faster.

Or get some rollerblades or a bike and go with your husband.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                          Tell your husband to run on his own. This is why running sucks as a group exercise.

Try working your aerobic system. That means you should be going slowly enough that you just barely feel out of breath, or even that you have no problem breathing. That might be a fast walk for you at this point. If you feel like you can't breathe enough air, your body has shifted into anaerobic mode, which is going to wear you down a lot faster.

Or get some rollerblades or a bike and go with your husband.
                          Love this advice! When he pushes me to keep going, I tell him to go ahead of me but he refuses. Now when he says he's going for a run I just go to the gym. After about 10 minutes of running, I feel like I can't breathe very well and that's when I stop. I will try to start out very slow and then work my way up from there.

Comment

Show him these articles and tell him you don't need to run !

http://baye.com/high-intensity-stren...-and-fat-loss/

You Don’t Know HIT Part 2: “Cardio” And Fat Loss | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Comment

Wow those articles are great! Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                              X