Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your weekly fitness regime? Share goals, give advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    As I have aged I have changed my goals when it comes to conditioning and exercise. I was of the "lift bit, eat big to get big" philosophy and while I did improve my strength and did gain some size I also gained a lot of fat. Lifting heavy also was bothering my back, knees and shoulders.

    My lifting routine now is a full body circuit consisting of push/pull exercises.

    That being said:

    Monday - 60 minutes of Muay Thai followed by 60 minutes of Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

    Tuesday - 60 minutes Muay Thai/Full body circuit.

    Wed - 60 minutes Jiu Jitsu

    Thur - 60 minutes Muay Thai/Full body circuit.

    Fri - Date night with wife or 60 minutes Jiu Jitsu

    Sat - Muay Thai/open mat (could be Jiu Jitsu could be Muay Thai

    Sun- Full Body circuit.

    Comment


    • #32
      Starting 5x5 for next 10 weeks :

      Lift more every time I lift heavy on 5x5

      Lift heavy 4x a week / sprint or row x1-2 a week, & alot of dog walking

      Deadlifts / push press / back squat & bench press .

      Then accessory work on the various parts I'm working that day.

      Goal before Xmas :
      Squat & deadlift : BW x2 = 162.5kg for 1rep.
      Bench : 100kg x 5 . (Just started working chest)
      Push press : 80kg x 5


      From London England UK

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Fenduh View Post
        As I have aged I have changed my goals when it comes to conditioning and exercise. I was of the "lift bit, eat big to get big" philosophy and while I did improve my strength and did gain some size I also gained a lot of fat. Lifting heavy also was bothering my back, knees and shoulders.

        My lifting routine now is a full body circuit consisting of push/pull exercises.

        That being said:

        Monday - 60 minutes of Muay Thai followed by 60 minutes of Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

        Tuesday - 60 minutes Muay Thai/Full body circuit.

        Wed - 60 minutes Jiu Jitsu

        Thur - 60 minutes Muay Thai/Full body circuit.

        Fri - Date night with wife or 60 minutes Jiu Jitsu

        Sat - Muay Thai/open mat (could be Jiu Jitsu could be Muay Thai

        Sun- Full Body circuit.

        I see your also in MA. Where about do you Muay Thai?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
          I see your also in MA. Where about do you Muay Thai?
          Cape Cod Fighting Alliance in Wareham (I'm from the Cape)

          Home | Cape Cod Fighting Alliance

          I also train Jiu Jitsu in Hyannis at the Daniel Gracie school.

          https://www.facebook.com/danielgraciecapecod

          All this MMA training was really my mid-life crisis. I just wanted to try something different from the usual weight lifting and hour a day on the elliptical. I'm actually in the best shape of my life (at 50) and since spring when I went Primal I am more vascular than ever with a six pack.

          I highly recommend some form of kickboxing for training if you want to get into shape. Look at the UFC fighters...they are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. (Don't google Roy Nelson...he's an exception)

          And ladies...knowing self defense doesn't hurt either.
          Last edited by Fenduh; 09-06-2013, 06:29 AM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Bodyweight only for several months now.

            I have been using the Madbarz.com routines, which I think are great.

            Monday - Lots of pullups, chinups, inverted rows for back and biceps.

            Wednesday - Leg workout, single leg squats, jump squats, box jumps, lunges, calf work

            Friday - For chest, shoulders and triceps, rounds of various styles of pushups and dips.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Fenduh View Post
              Cape Cod Fighting Alliance in Wareham (I'm from the Cape)

              [url=http://www.capecodfighting.com]
              I highly recommend some form of kickboxing for training if you want to get into shape. Look at the UFC fighters...they are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. (Don't google Roy Nelson...he's an exception)
              I do the same, but never recommend cardio "kickboxing", you should have a live opponent at some point.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                I do the same, but never recommend cardio "kickboxing", you should have a live opponent at some point.
                I will do cardio classes for, well, cardio but also take the MMA/ Muay Thai classes in which we spar. I'm no match for these kids half my age but I do make them work.

                I notice you're from Lawrence...you ever make it down to Sityodtong to train?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Fenduh View Post
                  I will do cardio classes for, well, cardio but also take the MMA/ Muay Thai classes in which we spar. I'm no match for these kids half my age but I do make them work.

                  I notice you're from Lawrence...you ever make it down to Sityodtong to train?
                  I've never been, but been thinking of cross-training at some point. Where I take Krav Maga, my instructor holds belts in multiple styles of MA, so the quality of instruction I get is quite good. We spar both stand up and ground, with people of all shapes and sizes. Tuesday and thursday night classes usually end with some sort of sparring, and I also go to the Friday fight class.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                    my instructor holds belts in multiple styles of MA, so the quality of instruction I get is quite good.
                    Not trying to start an argument, but this doesn't necessarily follow logically.
                    The Champagne of Beards

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Not trying to start an argument, but this doesn't necessarily follow logically.
                      I know what your saying, but a lot of Krav instructors are just that, Krav instructors and add nothing else.

                      Example: When we do ground work, my instructor having BJJ experience can add "watch out for this/that" instead of just showing us the defense/move, and leaving it at that.

                      Same for clinch work, we learn knees/elbows and such, but also "dirty boxing" using shoulders and biceps to strike and make space that isn't specifically in Krav maga.
                      Last edited by WeldingHank; 09-06-2013, 10:17 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                        I know what your saying, but a lot of Krav instructors are just that, Krav instructors and add nothing else.

                        Example: When we do ground work, my instructor having BJJ experience can add "watch out for this/that" instead of just showing us the defense/move, and leaving it at that.

                        Same for clinch work, we learn knees/elbows and such, but also "dirty boxing" using shoulders and biceps to strike and make space that isn't specifically in Krav maga.
                        Again, I'm not disparaging your instructor in any way. Just pointing out that the fallacy that "many black belts" makes someone knowledgeable/quality.
                        The Champagne of Beards

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Current regimen is pretty scattered due to work. Some days I have all the time in the world to train, others I am squeezing it on a lunch break in the middle of a 24 hour shift + on call.

                          Workouts
                          - 2 days of upper body "benchmark lifts" => Deadlift, Bench, Clean, Military Press, Weighted Pull-up + accessory messing around
                          - 2 days of completely insane => Usually a competitive Crossfit routine heavy in lower body, Squats, sprints, etc. This is usually proceeded by rock climbing, with swimming plus Jacuzzi after to not be a sore mess.
                          - 1 often very long hike on the weekends. Sometimes it is rowing, others a race, anything that is hard and fun. Usually done fasted.
                          - Every day is a lot of general house work. I live off-grid and fall is here up north, so it's been splitting wood, getting food up for harvest, cleaning rabbits, etc.

                          Diet
                          - Fasting at least 16 hours most days, occasionally less, often more.
                          - I don't count cals and never will again. I eat real food, occasional tortillas (gasp!), and a ton of game meats. Tonight is venison stew, and I raise rabbits for meat. (Hint: Winter is expensive for them)
                          - BCAA and creatine are the only supps, plus Knox gelatin I've taken since my vegan days.

                          Results
                          -Bench is up to 290, close to the goal I set five years ago to one day bench 300. Squat is about 390-415, depending on whether I use a shoulder girdle. Clean sucks. Weighted pull up is up to 70lbs. All of these have seen gains in the past year. 40lbs to bench, 20 to pull-up, clean only 10.
                          - BF% is higher for me right now at about 11%, per hospital water measurements. Summer means a ton of fruit that I have no portion control with. Once fall is full-swing I will be on mostly venison and rabbit, then almost no fruit left at all by January or so. I am always my lowest BF around March. Weight is 185lbs now.
                          - Energy levels are always good for me. It's a gift I guess.

                          Overall, I don't regiment my routine that much. I have found that something inside me dies to weigh out my meat for the night on a little scale to get exact numbers....workout wise, again, I only REALLY track two days of big lifts. The other two I pretty much go to the gym and run myself into the ground over about 2 hours. For me unregimented enthusiasm has always trumped tasteless record keeping.

                          Any questions, just ask
                          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I have been sticking with body weight exercises and programming for quite some time and have seen great results. This shift was primarily due to traveling for work. I am going to be shifting up a little and start following this website's programming GYM ALT - HOME. It's pretty much what I have been doing movement wise and so far the programming looks pretty good.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X