Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your weekly fitness regime? Share goals, give advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday - sprints on stationary bike in the morning, upper body lifting + dead lift in evening
    Tuesday - 3 mile slow run with my dog
    Wednesday - abs/core work and some leg work, mostly body weight with some walking lunges with weights
    Thursday - 3 mile slow run with my dog in the a.m., upper body lifting + dead lift in evening
    Friday - rest day, which is sometimes active with running errands, etc.
    Saturday - 5 or 6 mile slow run with my dog
    Sunday - abs/core work and some leg work

I also go for 15-20 minute walks at lunchtime when I can. I'm very much a "routine" person.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Monday thru Friday I go to Crossfit. We just did a month of following the main site workouts, so each day I did some extra lifting, mainly squats. I also walk 15-20 minutes at lunch. Weekends I go horseback riding.

I've seen a big change in my fitness in the past month. Everything is easier and I look/feel harder and more toned. I also sleep better. I personally enjoy how hard CF is as my body gets used to things quickly. I also recover quickly.

Of all things, my back is getting stronger and stronger, which is awesome. I still do assisted pullups and at this point pullups are easier than chin ups. I still feel like a cripple when I go riding. I mean, we did this ridiculous WOD- 90 155lb dead lifts coupled with 90 burpees and my back felt OK, but then 20 minutes on my horse and I'm in pain.

It actually makes me kind of sad that I can go do CF 5 days a week with minor aches and pains, but riding is becoming increasingly painful. I have no idea what the disconnect is.

In terms of shaping my body and getting me fit, CF is the most effective thing I have tried - better than running, P90X, Insanity, regular gym etc.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        @DoraV - how long have you been on this regimen, and has it worked so far? I think most people here would suggest lifting heavier versus more reps. I also question the effectiveness of Cross Fit - I'm doing a gym class that is modelled on it, and I'm going to drop it soon in favour of lifting heavy.
        I started crossfit in January and Olympic lifting in July. I'm definitely lifting heavy (for me) at the oly lifting classes (tuesday & thursday) and fairly heavy (60-90%) at crossfit (mon-wed-fri). I'm not sure how effective crossfit is for others but for me it's been great. I'm getting stronger and my body is changing, my waist is smaller. My husband who started with me but had no weight to lose looks amazing, you can really see the definition all over his body.

My goal is to lose 10-15 lbs of fat while getting stronger. But losing weight at my age is no small feat.
        F 45 5'5"
        SW 177
        CW 141

Comment

I am going through a slight transition b/c we have just had a wee buba (one week old today).

I am tailoring workouts around time with family but allowing me to work out often.

So im leaning towards:

3x proprioception workouts a week (I also use this style of training with my clients)

2-3 bike workouts (I have hills near by and we have a continued love/hate relationship).

1-2 rowing workouts (depending on weather and how many bike workouts I get.

I have also considered John Littles Max Pyramid protocol which calls for 1 session in the gym a week (that's all you can take), which would allow me more time on the bike etc but we will see.

Richard
          It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
            Monday thru Friday I go to Crossfit. We just did a month of following the main site workouts, so each day I did some extra lifting, mainly squats. I also walk 15-20 minutes at lunch. Weekends I go horseback riding.

I've seen a big change in my fitness in the past month. Everything is easier and I look/feel harder and more toned. I also sleep better. I personally enjoy how hard CF is as my body gets used to things quickly. I also recover quickly.

Of all things, my back is getting stronger and stronger, which is awesome. I still do assisted pullups and at this point pullups are easier than chin ups. I still feel like a cripple when I go riding. I mean, we did this ridiculous WOD- 90 155lb dead lifts coupled with 90 burpees and my back felt OK, but then 20 minutes on my horse and I'm in pain.

It actually makes me kind of sad that I can go do CF 5 days a week with minor aches and pains, but riding is becoming increasingly painful. I have no idea what the disconnect is.

In terms of shaping my body and getting me fit, CF is the most effective thing I have tried - better than running, P90X, Insanity, regular gym etc.
            Originally posted by DoraV View Post
            I started crossfit in January and Olympic lifting in July. I'm definitely lifting heavy (for me) at the oly lifting classes (tuesday & thursday) and fairly heavy (60-90%) at crossfit (mon-wed-fri). I'm not sure how effective crossfit is for others but for me it's been great. I'm getting stronger and my body is changing, my waist is smaller. My husband who started with me but had no weight to lose looks amazing, you can really see the definition all over his body.

My goal is to lose 10-15 lbs of fat while getting stronger. But losing weight at my age is no small feat.
            Sorry, just group quoting as in a rush...

Okay, I'm certainly no expert on all this, but I'd like to share my experience over the last three months for what it's worth.

initially started working out moderately - sprinting, walking, swimming, going to a cross fit style class at the gym once a week. Felt great, and as my fitness levels rose I started doing more and more intense exercise like the cross fit style class.

Pretty much instantly, I noticed a big change in my arms. I've always had thin arms, but suddenly they were starting to look really bulky. I thought it was muscle, and that the fat would come off. Then I thought I might be retaining water in them. Now, after two months of intense workouts, I realise that it's fat.

I'm pretty sure that all the intense cardio, and high rep at low weight actually gave me more body fat than when I started. I didn't really notice because my hips and legs are slimming up, but I kept noticing that my face was "puffy" after workouts, and then there was the arm thing...

Also, Magnoila - the horse riding. Since starting these workouts, my yoga has suffered A LOT. I'm stronger, but my mobility is completely shot, compared to what it used to be - particularly in the hips. That could be why riding has become painful for you.

This was my workout for the last two months.

Mon: Lifting + 1km treadmill walking @incline
            Tues: Power Pump class (similar to Cross Fit) - one hour: intense; teaching yoga: 75 mins.
            Wed: Step aerobics - 30 mins: very intense (cardio); lifting dumbbells and core work: 30 mins: intense.
            Thurs: 90 mins yoga (intense)
            Fri: Swimming (currently 726 metres = .45 miles)
            Sat: Power Pump- one hour: very intense (cardio + lifting + core); Dance aerobics - one hour: moderate intensity (cardio)
            Sun: Day off / walk.

Looking at it now I can see I was overdoing it, with the wrong kind of stuff. I'm changing it up now - taking out all the cross fit style stuff, and the aerobics, replacing with swimming, heavier lifting and more yoga. We see what that does...
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Also, Magnoila - the horse riding. Since starting these workouts, my yoga has suffered A LOT. I'm stronger, but my mobility is completely shot, compared to what it used to be - particularly in the hips. That could be why riding has become painful for you.
              Riding has been painful for me for years. It's just been like a line for probably 6 years getting worse and worse. My flexibility/mobility is as good as it has ever been.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Here is a typical week for me.
                Monday- "push" day. Bench press, squat, overhead press, dips. 3x5 on the bp, ohp and squat. 3 sets of dips to failure
                Tuesday-boxing
                Wednesday-"pull" day. Deadlift, rows, pullups/chinups. DL is 3-4 warmup sets with 1 final heavy set. Rows are heavy db rows, 3-6 reps. And pullups are usually 8 sets to failure. 2 pullups, 2 close grip pullups, 2 neutral grip, 2 chinups
                Thursday-boxing
                Friday-rest day
                Saturday-mountain biking/hiking/kayaking/jogging/skiing
                Sunday-mountain biking/hiking/kayaking/jogging/skiing

I also try to throw in yoga once a week, sometimes twice
                My wife and I also walk the dogs 2.5 miles nearly every day
                And I spend a lot of time in the fall and winter bowhunting.
                Last edited by not on the rug; 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I love lifting and suck at running. This is what I do. It's not perfect, but it is organized in a way that works for me.
                  Monday - Lifting Legs/Abs
                  Tuesday - Walking usually 3-4 miles, whatever I can fit in at lunch.
                  Wednesday -Lifting Arms/Shoulders
                  Thursday - Walking again
                  Friday - Lifting Chest/Back
                  Saturday - Sprints on my elliptical for about 20 minutes. 1 minute very fast then 2 minute cool downs. Then I chase my eldest daughter around a playground.
                  Sunday - Pancakes! (coconut flour) rest, housework (sometimes intense dusting!)

I also play shows about once a week so I get 1-2 hours of pretty decent cardio running around a stage like a monkey.

Comment

I take Krav Maga, my Krav gym also has a 2x weekly fitness/conditioning class that I take advantage of. Average week looks like this.

Monday : Krav Maga Tech 60mins + 60mins Conditioning

Tuesday : Krav Maga Tech 120mins

Wednesday : 60mins conditioning

Thursday : sometimes rest, somtimes 120mins Krav maga tech

Friday : Sometimes rest, sometimes 60mins Sparring + 60mins Krav maga tech

Saturday/Sunday : Rest/Hiking.

Been pretty good for the last 1.5years this way. Have gotten up to Level 3 (orange belt, 4 hour test to do so!) Lost around 160lbs doing so.

Comment

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: lower body weights and 30-60 mins of biking or swimming

Tuesday: upper body weights and bike sprints

Thursday: upper body weights and couple hours of playing softball (6 months of the year anyway)

Saturday/Sunday: outdoor activity like hiking, canoeing, swimming, hunting, fishing

Along with diet it's working quite well. Losing fat, gaining muscle (or at least its starting to appear) getting stronger, getting smaller, and feel great.

Comment

I am enrolled in martial art classes at John Wilson Delco Brazilian jiu-jitsu learning karate and self defense techniques. I attend these classes 5 days a week from last 6 months. Since then, i have noticed many changes in my physical health like stamina and flexibility i would suggest others to join such a program where you get to learn something different and interesting.
                        Last edited by Stella20; 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Mon: Rest-perhaps some bike ridding with kids or walking around, fooling around on the slackline.

Tues: PB Fitness 2 X the 4 Primal Essential movements, + some bar dips, + some incline pushups, +some extra pushups durring the day, since I suck at pushups.

Wed: Sprint 10 150m uphill, 2 X 400m uphill.
                          Thursday: Same as Tuesday

Fri: Rest like Monday

Sat: Same as Tuesday/Thursday

Sun: Sprint 8 X 150m uphill, 5-8 X 400m uphill.

No adult play usually just horse around with the kids, go for a walk, etc.

Comment

Typical week:
                            Sunday: Competition Team Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Hard, intense training, 90 minutes)
                            Monday: Squat, Press, Rotating: Deadlift/Powerclean/Back ext, Chin-ups (weighted)
                            Tuesday: Recovery workout (Assistant-teaching the kids' jiu jitsu class)
                            Wednesday: Jiu Jitsu advanced class, 90 minutes mixed instruction/training
                            Thursday: Squat, Bench, Rotating: Deadlift/Powerclean/Back ext, Chin-ups (weighted)
                            Friday: Jiu Jitsu Open Mat: Friendly (but intense) training, 75 minutes
                            Saturday: Jiu Jitsu class, 90 minutes, mixed instruction/training

Sometimes I skip Saturday when I'm real beat up. And every 3rd squat day is a light day at 80% of the previous heavy squat day.

I walk to and from work (and home for lunch) 0.5 miles each way most weekdays. Standing desk in the office.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

CrossFit WOD 5 times a week, could be everything (metcons or more weightlifting), olympic lifting sessions about 3 times a week (c&j, snatch), some mobility work and some gymnastics (handstands currently). And trying to walk as much as possible. And 2 a days are possible. Or technique first, then a WOD (I have at least 1 rest day every week).

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                                Damn! That's some crazy ass WOD!

@DoraV - how long have you been on this regimen, and has it worked so far? I think most people here would suggest lifting heavier versus more reps. I also question the effectiveness of Cross Fit - I'm doing a gym class that is modelled on it, and I'm going to drop it soon in favour of lifting heavy.

Sorry, just group quoting as in a rush...

Okay, I'm certainly no expert on all this, but I'd like to share my experience over the last three months for what it's worth.

initially started working out moderately - sprinting, walking, swimming, going to a cross fit style class at the gym once a week. Felt great, and as my fitness levels rose I started doing more and more intense exercise like the cross fit style class.

Pretty much instantly, I noticed a big change in my arms. I've always had thin arms, but suddenly they were starting to look really bulky. I thought it was muscle, and that the fat would come off. Then I thought I might be retaining water in them. Now, after two months of intense workouts, I realise that it's fat.

I'm pretty sure that all the intense cardio, and high rep at low weight actually gave me more body fat than when I started. I didn't really notice because my hips and legs are slimming up, but I kept noticing that my face was "puffy" after workouts, and then there was the arm thing...

This was my workout for the last two months.

Mon: Lifting + 1km treadmill walking @incline
                                Tues: Power Pump class (similar to Cross Fit) - one hour: intense; teaching yoga: 75 mins.
                                Wed: Step aerobics - 30 mins: very intense (cardio); lifting dumbbells and core work: 30 mins: intense.
                                Thurs: 90 mins yoga (intense)
                                Fri: Swimming (currently 726 metres = .45 miles)
                                Sat: Power Pump- one hour: very intense (cardio + lifting + core); Dance aerobics - one hour: moderate intensity (cardio)
                                Sun: Day off / walk.

Looking at it now I can see I was overdoing it, with the wrong kind of stuff. I'm changing it up now - taking out all the cross fit style stuff, and the aerobics, replacing with swimming, heavier lifting and more yoga. We see what that does...

YB--whatever made you think that crossfit = high reps at low weight? Because of the metcons (WODs)? Well, crossfit metcons are usually very high intensity, and, yes, some metcons involve high rep Oly lifts (or high rep regular lifts--like the 90 deadlifts Magnolia did). But the metcons are conditioning workouts--high intensity, short duration. They are for conditioning, not building muscle or strength (at least building muscle/strength is not the point of metcons). Metcons also happen after the main lift. Most crossfit boxes (I'm guessing cuz my box is like that and so is Magnolia's) have 2 days per week that is just lifting, no WOD. Also, we very rarely have metcons that exceed 20 minutes. A lot of times they are 15 minutes or less.

When we lift at crossfit, we lift heavy. My coach uses a 5-3-1 protocol for max effort lifts. Sometimes the accessory lifts will be lighter weight and higher rep, but the main lift is always heavy and low rep.

Oh, and it's normal for flexibility to decrease when you start putting on a lot of muscle. That's why stretching, yoga, and mobility work are so important.

I crossfit 4-5 times a week, do HIIT on the treadmill once a week, and if I only crossfit 4 times in any given week, I'll have another day of intervals on the treadmill but not as high intensity as the HIIT day and with some kind of other workout in between the intervals (basically a made-up crossfit-style WOD---on Tuesday, for example, I did 0.25-mile intervals on the treadmill and max effort incline pushups in between). I also take yoga and pilates classes whenever I can make it, usually 2-3 times a week. Hula-hooping a couples times a week, and maybe the elliptical sometimes (only because I'm still not doing longer runs due to plantar fasciitis).

I love, love, love, love, LOVE^10 crossfit.

My journal

Comment

Working...
                                X