Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF, weight loss, then weight gain. What's going on?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IF, weight loss, then weight gain. What's going on?!

    I've been doing IF, 16/8 with an eating window of noon to 8PM. With this I do intense body weight exercises 4 days a week at 5AM. I take some MCT oil with my coffee before breaking my fast. I then go for a 2-3 mile walk at 4PM and snack after, last meal ends before 8PM. Long slow bike rides on the weekends, sprints every 10 days or so.
    I eat 100% primal and take in 40-60g of carbs a day. Not much stress, plenty of sleep, and never low on energy!

    Looking at the scale my weight fluctuates from 156-162 every couple days, is this normal? Will the number eventually stabilize? I heard upping carbs may help, any feedback on that? I am 5'11", 27, male, looking to drop body fat and get around 152lbs.

    Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

  • #2
    At the end of the day your total calorie consumption counts for a lot. If you're at an equilibrium and no longer burning fat, you may have to start eating a little less... Changing macros while consuming the same number of calories won't help much.

    Comment


    • #3
      You sound just like me :-)

      Im about 5'9 though, 158 to 161 lean
      Same 16/8, same exercise.
      Same low stress


      My weight variation can come for eating more on higher Carb days, less on lower Carb days.
      Also water retention from salty foods - eg if I eat too much fetta cheese and olives (salt) tonight I'll be 1 to 2 pounds heavier in the morning ( water retention) - I lose it as quick as I gain.

      152 - You trying to get ripped? Are you carrying enough muscle?

      Comment


      • #4
        I am trying to lean out and get more definition. I see results in the mirror but the scale throws me off.

        I did some googling, looks like massive salads may contribute to water retention. I'm going to cut back a bit and see how it works.

        Comment


        • #5
          Out of interest do you know your daily caloric intake, might not be the salads you need to look at?

          Comment


          • #6
            I think it is the volume of salad I'm eating.

            My intakes vary from 2,200-3,000 calories a day, protein 120-160 grams a day, fat 100-200 grams a day.

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe reduce the fat intake - if you provide your body enough fat in food - why would it need to look at fat stores for energy

              Water retention is just water and is lost quick - who cares what the scales say - its more what the mirror shows.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
                152 - You trying to get ripped? Are you carrying enough muscle?
                I agree that that sounds really light for your height. I am also 5'11" (and 27 y/o). In my early twenties (before I started weight training) I weighed in around 145. Now I'm right around 170 and I think I look more defined than ever, especially (surprisingly) my abs. My abs had less definition when I was lighter just because there was less muscle there. I'm not saying you should not lose weight (I remember a Leangains post where Martin posited that it was better to get super lean before bulking) but you might not achieve the look you are after without adding some muscle. Good luck with whatever approach you choose.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sprint more, possibly some longer sprints. and be on the lookout for the usual culprits (nuts, dairy, too much fruit, salts etc.)

                  I too do IF M-F, however, over the weekends I tend to gain weight, as much as 10LBS sometimes. It usually drops off by Wed the next week.

                  Against the advice of the PB and this board, I like to weigh myself often, if for no other reason than to get a bead on my natural fluctuations.

                  I usually drop about 2-3 lbs overnight, before my morning constitutional. I usually lose an additional 2-3 lbs during the day, which I gain back after dinner and even more when I work out and drink lots of water. If I skip 2 or more work outs, I usually lean out pretty well, and feel great, which is why I tend to take a break form workouts every 6-10 weeks, just to make sure and avoid injury and to refresh.

                  At present I am 5'11", 46yo, and weigh in at 173-182lbs which is about 10% BF

                  You seem pretty lean already. One common thing I read is that muscle gain sometimes offsets fat loss-but I tend to dismiss it because unless you are male and less than 15% BF then it is extremely difficult to gain more than 2lbs/month in muscle while fat loss can occur much more rapidly. In tour case however, this might be the case, since it would appear that you have nowhere to go for more fat loss, and given your size and age, might be more prone to faster muscle gain than say, someone my age.

                  Be patient, in a few years things will change and you will start to naturally thicken up as we males tend to do in our 30s.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jiggyz View Post
                    Sprint more, possibly some longer sprints. and be on the lookout for the usual culprits (nuts, dairy, too much fruit, salts etc.)

                    I too do IF M-F, however, over the weekends I tend to gain weight, as much as 10LBS sometimes. It usually drops off by Wed the next week.

                    Against the advice of the PB and this board, I like to weigh myself often, if for no other reason than to get a bead on my natural fluctuations.

                    I usually drop about 2-3 lbs overnight, before my morning constitutional. I usually lose an additional 2-3 lbs during the day, which I gain back after dinner and even more when I work out and drink lots of water. If I skip 2 or more work outs, I usually lean out pretty well, and feel great, which is why I tend to take a break form workouts every 6-10 weeks, just to make sure and avoid injury and to refresh.

                    At present I am 5'11", 46yo, and weigh in at 173-182lbs which is about 10% BF

                    You seem pretty lean already. One common thing I read is that muscle gain sometimes offsets fat loss-but I tend to dismiss it because unless you are male and less than 15% BF then it is extremely difficult to gain more than 2lbs/month in muscle while fat loss can occur much more rapidly. In tour case however, this might be the case, since it would appear that you have nowhere to go for more fat loss, and given your size and age, might be more prone to faster muscle gain than say, someone my age.

                    Be patient, in a few years things will change and you will start to naturally thicken up as we males tend to do in our 30s.
                    Thanks for your input, couple of questions, if you don't mind. What's your carb intake like? Any refeeds or loading? I've heard the "thicken" up term before, but it was meant more for fattening up, based on the SAD. Would a primal based diet and exercises mean this "thickening" will be more geared toward muscle gains?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So I think I determined the source of the weight fluctuation. I have been using homemade canned tomatoes. There's about 2 tablespoons of salt per jar (the preservative). That along with the additional salt from other foods started to add up.

                      On a side note, a body builder friend mentioned certain vegetables can add to the "bloat" weight gain. Vegetables he included are broccoli, cabbages, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, anything that can make you gassy.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Primal_BK View Post
                        Thanks for your input, couple of questions, if you don't mind. What's your carb intake like? Any refeeds or loading? I've heard the "thicken" up term before, but it was meant more for fattening up, based on the SAD. Would a primal based diet and exercises mean this "thickening" will be more geared toward muscle gains?
                        I really don't track my carb intake, or any intake for that matter. I just try to avoid the processed stuff and eat clean. I sometimes over do it on the nuts, dairy, smoothies, and beer/wine. I would say its generally less than 150 g/day. No powders or supplements other than fish oil.

                        During the week, I work out in the evenings in a fasted state with nothing but coffee/coconut oil for breakfast. My workouts are simple, pretty much PBF at baseline, plus an extra sprint session 8 X 100 plus 3-4 X 400 in lieu of play session which I never seem to have time for, other than playing with my kids-nothing cool like paddle boarding, frisbee, kayaking etc.

                        The thickening I speak off is pretty common in a lot of male mammals. Your shoulders/hips tend to get broader and you limbs a little thicker-not necessarily fat but not necessarily muscle either-just general maturation-other stuff happens too, like ear/eyebrow hair-but that usually comes a little later.

                        Try the extra sprinting, say two total sessions per week and work up to some 400m. In the past when I worked up 8 X 400, 2-3 times per week, it shredded the fat and maintained the muscle very well-and that was on a SAD, so I would imagine on Primal it would be even more beneficial at those levels, which BTW I plan on working up to in the next month or so, since I too am looking to drop another 5lbs of fat-don't really care about the extra muscle right now.

                        Just don't over do it and stay injury free-that's the most important thing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks man!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I agree with what Iron Fireling has to say on this. It is very important to have a grip on your calorie consumption. I would suggest you lowering your calorie intake.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't mean to come across as rude but I might so I apologize. These types of posts really bother me as a professional. Why in god's name do you want to be so skinny? 152 pounds at 5'11"? That's ridiculous. Why don't you forget about counting calories or for god sakes lowering your caloric intake and lift something heavy?

                              All this talk about IF being the new miracle cure is just bullshit. Let me tell you a secret. Abs on a skinny guy don't count! Gain some muscle lift some weights gain some testosterone and get strong! Then your abs will count!

                              Sorry for the rant but seriously! We were never meant to starve our bodies. Doing so disrupts your metabolic balance. IF is something that should only be attempted for short periods of time with someone who already has metabolic balance not someone who's looking for a quick fix to loose 10 pounds when you are already under weight.

                              OMG I think my head is going to explode!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X