Tabata?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabata?

Any one have an opinion on it? I'm wondering since its high intensity, and mark only prescribes short intense workouts, I think this could be ideal?
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

I do it once a week. It fits as your "sprint" session.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
      I do it once a week. It fits as your "sprint" session.
      Nice so I can only do Tabata and I'm set?
      Big brains discuss ideas
      -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

I dunno what you want out of training, but this is what I do to stay strong and metabolically fit:

2x/week lift heavy
        1x/week tabata
        bike or walk to work and home 3-5 days a week and take one longer hike on the weekend.

Comment

I dunno what you want out of training, but this is what I do to stay strong and metabolically fit:

2x/week lift heavy
          1x/week tabata
          bike or walk to work and home 3-5 days a week and take one longer hike on the weekend.
          I just want to get lean dude. Like a crossfit dude. Well. Kinda. Not that ripped because I know you gotta do a lot of their movements and I don't have the equipment for that. I have 4 kettlebells though!
          Big brains discuss ideas
          -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by btownshreds View Post
            I just want to get lean dude. Like a crossfit dude. Well. Kinda. Not that ripped because I know you gotta do a lot of their movements and I don't have the equipment for that. I have 4 kettlebells though!
            Keep saying dude. That might help. Seriously..listen to NH. Or google some stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
              Keep saying dude. That might help. Seriously..listen to NH. Or google some stuff.

Keep sayin?
              Big brains discuss ideas
              -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post

Nm. Jerk haha. Good one.
                Big brains discuss ideas
                -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

Here is a good article that supports Neckhammer's suggestion and also an adjustment to Tabata. Do 1 x 4 minute sprint.

Single Sprint Effective and Time-Efficient Way to Build Fitness

Comment

2x/week lift heavy
                    1x/week tabata
                    This is exactly what I do too. Great results.
                    "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

It was recommended to me that sprint intervals more like 23 seconds on and 1.5 - 2 minutes off would be more effective and that they ought to be done 2x a week for maximum fitness benefits (enhanced cardio fitness plus fat loss if you eat right.) I believe it was recommended to me to rest longer between each interval so that each interval could be done at an intensity that will actually provide a benefit for me. I've been doing that rather than the shorter tabatas and it seems a little easier to do a max effort on those final sprints whereas with the tabatas those max efforts get pretty weak for me by the 2nd half.

I just returned from a 2-week backpack trip. We hiked about 120 miles and I felt strong and fit as I ever have. I've been strength training 2x a week, sprints 1x - 2x a week (worked my way up to 2x a week), a day hike once a week or less plus taking walks at lunch. So I'm a believer that you don't have to do a ton of slogging low intensity cardio to be fit enough to haul a pack up steep mountain passes and enjoy every minute of it.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Ha, I have just realised I do Tabata once a week :-)
                        I had to google what is means, as I have never heard about it before...

Comment

I started a Tabata routine a while back, and man! This is not sprinting, after 2 or 3 sprints, you cannot sprint any more, you're just trying but you cannot. So instead, I sprint at irregular intervals, I give myself a chance to really sprint every time I run so the recovery between each sprint is much longer than 10 secs.

Comment

tabata is the definition of the interval - 20 second on and 10 seconds rest

You can do other exercises besides sprints. One of the hardest workouts I have ever done was a tabata sprint where I went 100% on every interval. I was laying on the ground for 20 minutes after. That's a hard thing to duplicate when you already know the pain you are about to experience.

If you are in the gym - try front squat tabata. Go light. Don't dog it on the first sets. They hurt.

Other things - slam balls tabatas, jump rope double unders, KB swings as fast as possible with an active lowering phase (strong hip drive going up, actively stop the bell at head level and using the lats, actively pull the bell down and get your stuff out of the way at the bottom. Repeat). KB Snatches, air squats, There are many options. I prefer exercises to stimulate that anaerobic load. Pushups are not a good one for that. Once your pushup is gone - it's gone for awhile. Pullups are the same.

Another good workout for isolation is "death by <fill in the blank>" 1 rep the first minute and rest the remainder of that minute. 2 reps the second minute, 3 the next minute, etc until you can't do the required reps in the 1 minute. Those are great for all kinds of things and you get quite a few reps in without realizing it.
                            Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Comment

Tabata was founded in Japan by Izumi Tabata. He conducted tests on two groups of athletes; comparing moderate high intensity training with high intensity interval training.

The results were that the athletes training in high intensity interval training improved their aerobic systems as well as their anaerobic system. The athletes who did the moderate high intensity training only improved their aerobic system and had little to no increase in their anaerobic system.

Any exercise can be incorporated into the Tabata training. However the basic outline of the Tabata training method are as follows:
                              • 4 minutes long (whole Tabata Session)
                              • 20 seconds of intense training
                              • 10 seconds of rest
                              • Total of 8 sessions or rounds

Any other timings is not Tabata, but HIIT - High Intesity Interval Training. People usually said that they are doing Tabata, but it is just some sort of HIIT. Even, if You are working in proper timings, Tabata assume very high intensities during those 20 sec.

Currently, I'm doing 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) Fitness666 progressions and 2 days a week HIIT and I'm working toward Tabata. I choose 2 exercises (Jumping Jacks and Butt Kicks) and started with 8 rounds per exercise of each with 10 sec work and 20 sec rest. Every time I workout, I just add another round until I reach 16 rounds per exerceises. Next week I will start with again 8 rounds per exercise but each round will consist of 15 sec work and 15 sec rest. And again, I will add one more round every time I workout until I reach 16 rounds. Then I will (hopefully) start with Tabata - 8 rounds per exercise with 20 sec work and 10 sec rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X