Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rippetoe's New Article on High-Rep Olympic Lifting

The Fallacy of High-Rep Olympic Lifting

One of my many complaints against programs like CrossFit, explained by Rippetoe himself. Good read, especially if you're doing this kind of stuff.

Well, this is why I use really light weights whenever we do WODs that involve high rep Olympic lifts. So even if my form starts to break down (or sucks to begin with--which is more likely the case), the likelihood of injury is fairly low.

To be honest, I don't especially like Olympic lifting--it's just too complicated for a beginner like me. But I put up with it and just use light weights and focus on technique because I love crossfit. And crossfit involves Olympic lifts.

At my box, we don't do the high-rep Oly lift WODs that frequently--maybe a couple times a month.

My journal

Comment

Also, I disagree that you should work on strength exclusively before starting to improve conditioning. I think conditioning is important, and I'm okay with working on both simultaneously, even if it means that the strength gains will be a bit slower because of interference from the conditioning workouts. (But, then again, I used to run almost exclusively so I'm heavily biased in favor of endurance training.) That said, I also don't think that high-rep Oly lifts are great for conditioning. Sprints, burpees, wall balls, and prowler are all superior. I hate the prowler though. Like really hate it. I think I may hate it more than burpees, which is difficult to believe.

My journal

Comment

Lol....

Here's what you need to know...

High-rep snatches or clean and jerks can be done safely by very experienced Olympic lifters. But they wouldn't do them anyway because there's no purpose.

The average person who does high-rep Olympic lifts is a walking encyclopedia of bad, unsafe, and unproductive form.

Snatches and clean and jerks, as technique-dependent lifts, fall apart easily in the presence of fatigue.

There's a time for conditioning, but there are better ways to do it than to perform the Olympic lifts like a jackass.

I didn't read past the above yet.... but, dudes got a point. Hell those lifts are too technical for me to perform low rep, let alone for time! But, hey I'm not a CF'er and anything more technical than a deadlift is currently beyond my expertise level.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          anything more technical than a deadlift is currently beyond my expertise level.
          Yeah, but the prescription for that is clear, and it's neither hundreds of sloppy snatches (see what I did there?) nor more cowbell.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Yeah, but the prescription for that is clear, and it's neither hundreds of sloppy snatches (see what I did there?) nor more cowbell.
            I've suddenly got a hankering for an open faced roast beef sandwich.... Weird?

Comment

I've suddenly got a hankering for an open faced roast beef sandwich.... Weird?
              And we've officially sullied another thread with our filthy minds and dirty double entendres.

Congrats! Job well done.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

And we've officially sullied another thread with our filthy minds and dirty double entendres.

Congrats! Job well done.
                Oh, It ain't over yet... The title says "Rippitoe" in it, so there is yet the obligatory Gorbag comment yet to come

Comment

Oh, It ain't over yet... The title says "Rippitoe" in it, so there is yet the obligatory Gorbag comment yet to come
                  True. Can't wait for Crazy Uncle Gorby to drop by and add his opinion.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

True. Can't wait for Crazy Uncle Gorby to drop by and add his opinion.
                    He's just hiding behind the beef curtains.

Comment

Hey, I kind of agree that doing high reps Olympic lift beyond fatigue probably is not the smartest things to do! But the article is as usually spouted by the same Rippetoe nonsense as always, like this:

Conditioning" is the use of high-intensity, longer-duration glycolytic exercise to elevate heart rate and respiration rate for the purpose of adapting to this type of work. Conditioning is a type of stress to which the body quickly adapts.
                      You know this is true if you've been paying attention. It doesn't take an already-strong person more than three or four weeks to get back into very good condition if he has somehow lost it.”

Yeah, except that main bulk of Rippetoes followers have never ever gained any strength endurance in the first place, so there is little or nothing to regain! Walking around with all that fat blubber after hundreds of gallons of milk, trying to decrease ROM on their limbs and torso as much as possible to cheat up the weight on their main lifts!

RIP should try to gain some strength endurance for himself to see how easy it really is, he seem to need some of it…
                      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Three cheers for uncle Gorbag!

I like that... being in my mid thirties, he is kinda the right age for it too

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                          He's just hiding behind the beef curtains.
                          This is why we can't have nice things.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                            Yeah, except that main bulk of Rippetoes followers have never ever gained any strength endurance in the first place, so there is little or nothing to regain! Walking around with all that fat blubber after hundreds of gallons of milk, trying to decrease ROM on their limbs and torso as much as possible to cheat up the weight on their main lifts!

RIP should try to gain some strength endurance for himself to see how easy it really is, he seem to need some of it…
                            Dude can bust out a set of 20 strict chin-ups at ~220 lbs in his mid-50's. You think he lacks strength endurance?

GOMAD's for skinny 15-18 year olds. And it's true that some people (myself included) have a damningly hard time gaining muscle mass without putting on some fat as well. Didn't all your 1960's bodybuilder heroes advocate the bulk and cut?

It's not really controversial to tell skinny kids to overeat while they are training with heavy weights for the first time, bro. You just have some weird, yet uninformed Rippetoe anti-boner.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Dude can bust out a set of 20 strict chin-ups at ~220 lbs in his mid-50's. You think he lacks strength endurance?
                              One single all out set to failure of 18 reps with supinated grip for more biceps assistance and sloppy form is hardly strength endurance in my book Rich! But OK, I'll give him credit for at least trying though, but that video is at least 3 years old. He is still wrong about that strength endurance comes that easy if you just can lift some heavy ass weights first...

GOMAD's for skinny 15-18 year olds. And it's true that some people (myself included) have a damningly hard time gaining muscle mass without putting on some fat as well. Didn't all your 1960's bodybuilder heroes advocate the bulk and cut?

It's not really controversial to tell skinny kids to overeat while they are training with heavy weights for the first time, bro. You just have some weird, yet uninformed Rippetoe anti-boner.
                              I do not have any "bodybuilding heroes", and doing retarded bulking/cutting is not my cup of tea either! I gained muscle on milk myself from the age of 15, so I am not against that at all, but using excessive body fat as a "method" to lift more is not a good idea unless you are a hardcore power-lifter wannabe. Lifting more is not necessary correlated to real strength either, unless you actually grow de facto muscles in the process. The Rippetoe strategy of making a heavy weight as light as possible by using the whole body, benching with butt contractions, shortening ROM etc. is not the most effective to grow real strength IMO, but it may be effective to cheat up the weight, if that’s important for you...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X