Muscle fatigue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenbeast View Post
    thanks for that, good to read something that is inline with how i'm trained/am training
    ???
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by adam204 View Post
      Hi all,
      As mentioned in a previous post, I have started lifting heavy with the bar and also dumbbell work and I have started sprint sessions every 10 days and running at low pace in between weight training days. The problem is I feel as though my muscles are not recovering very quickly, that achy soreness after a weight session seems to linger for days. Could it be a lack of protein? Any ideas? Or is just I am not used to so much training and also that I have neved lifted weights before?
      Thanks in advance,
      Adam.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
      Good morning. DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is something that everyone will experience and will typically stay for 2-3 days depending on what you do for your active recovery.

Here are a few things that will help:

Water. Drink lots of water all day, during your workout and after. If your goal is to gain weight and not loose you can supplement water during your workout with coconut water. This will help replenish your electrolytes.

Dynamic warm up. Prepare your body for the load first so before you do your warm up sets start by opening the joints and warming the muscles. This prepares the body for the added stressors.

Warm up sets. At least 2 sets of 3-4 prior to your working sets. If you're going to be bench pressing 115 pounds for your working set, your first warm up should be 4 reps at approximately 50% of your working weight and your second set should be 75% of your working weight. Remember these are just warm up sets. They're not meant to tax your strength heavily.

Stretching. After your workout your muscles are shorter than when they started so now is the time to increase your range of motion. Stretch to tension, not to pain, for 10-15 seconds on each stretch. And stretch the whole body.

Eat a good carb meal with protein. If you're not worried about weight lost and are looking to gain muscle, eat your big carb meal directly after working out. This will help replenish glycogen and begin the healing process.

The day after. Repeat.

Your body will adjust and your muscle soreness will minimize but you're adding a stressor that your body is not used too. If you're finding that your really sore, take a day off and just do a dynamic warm up plus some body weight exercises then get back to it!

Comment

I've found progress is irregular, and a sudden unanticipated gain in reps will be followed by muscle soreness.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          ???
          sorry was it intended to teach me the error of my ways?

It seem to align roughly with what i do, regarding training for strength, doing large movements to stimulate whole body responses, etc...

Comment

sorry was it intended to teach me the error of my ways?

It seem to align roughly with what i do, regarding training for strength, doing large movements to stimulate whole body responses, etc...
            It was intended as a suggestion that you evaluate your programming and decide whether it's in line with your goals. Doesn't seem like 2 sets/month (one main lift and one assistance exercise) is in line with the general concepts of the article, but if you think you found some common ground with your program, and you're happy with your progress, then great.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

yeah i'm happy with progress, i don't want to spend any more money on training than i do and i still put 5% on at every visit.

I am considering dropping the assistance as it's currently not progressing, the squats seemingly take too much out of me as i do them first. Once i'm maintaining the squats (soon) i will perhaps bring them back or maybe add in bench press.
              Last edited by Greenbeast; 08-23-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

yeah i'm happy with progress, i don't want to spend any more money on training than i do and i still put 5% on at every visit.

I am considering dropping the assistance as it's currently not progressing, the squats seemingly take too much out of me as i do them first. Once i'm maintaining the squats (soon) i will perhaps bring them back or maybe add in bench press.
                You're doing 1 exercise once a month and you require a trainer?
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

he has the gear and is cheaper than a gym

Comment

Well, considering you only go once a month, I'd hope it would be. Mind sharing your current lifts and bodyweight?
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

i weigh 68kg and last squat was 195kg

Comment

i weigh 68kg and last squat was 195kg
                        That's competitive. Ever think of signing up for a competition?
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

no not particularly, that's not my bag

also they're guided, so i dont have to worry about the balance, etc... Some might say i'm missing out on part of the point (the article you posted suggested as much) but it feels strong and safe, so i'm happy
                          Last edited by Greenbeast; 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

no not particularly, that's not my bag
                            [redacted] editing in response to your editing. doesn't sound like you're actually squatting, so nevermind.
                            Last edited by RichMahogany; 08-23-2013, 01:57 PM.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

If you are squatting that kind of weight for 6 reps, your 1RM max is flirting with the raw world record in certain federations. And that's without cutting weight (comparing you to the 148 lb class). Even without dehydrating yourself down to 132, you'd be guaranteed to win most any competition you entered.
                              i know exactly what you are suggesting

Comment

A little bit of soreness is pretty normal when you train hard. But it should come down to a really manageable level once your body acclimates to the stress. If you're under-eating protein stop doing that. And epsom salt baths are great. But if you're adequately nutritionizing yourself, it's just because you're new to the lifting. Increase the stress slowly but surely and you'll be fine in no time.
                                I have started to take a protein omly shake on my lifting days. One in the morning, one before lifting and one straight after lifting plus my evening meal. I also eat plenty of eggs and meat. Should I be taking the shake every day though? to build up a base protein level?

Comment

Working...
                                X