No announcement yet.

Do you stretch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to stretch, but then my joints moved too far and I hurt myself doing simple things like walking too fast. So I quit. Better now.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by colobb View Post
      stretching is like doing bicep curls instead of chin-ups.
      Uh, no. I have no problem with mobility as well as stretching, and foam rolling etc is part of my routine, but there are plenty of reasons to stretch, especially if you have a sports-specific reason to do so. Mobility is great, but if my muscles are tight when I hit the ice, I'll tear something.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
        Uh, no. I have no problem with mobility as well as stretching, and foam rolling etc is part of my routine, but there are plenty of reasons to stretch, especially if you have a sports-specific reason to do so. Mobility is great, but if my muscles are tight when I hit the ice, I'll tear something.
        Thats where a dynamic (sport specific) warmup comes in. Stretching, or even a ton of mobility prior to working out or sports isn't the best idea, unless there is a glaring mobility disfunction.

Comment

Ya know I just stated that I don't "stretch", but I suppose thats not completely correct. I do spend a few minutes a day in the squat (grok squat if you like), and yes this is to stretch. I also randomly lean way back in my chair while spreading my arms wide and breathing deep. All manners of movements that I don't call "stretching" because its not a 3x/each side hold for a ten count maneuver.... but it is stretching. So I'd like to change my answer. Yes I stretch everyday several times a day and I do yoga 1-2x/week and I practice full ROM lifts on both machines and with freeweights 2x/week. There. That seems a bit more accurate

Comment

Ya know I just stated that I don't "stretch", but I suppose thats not completely correct. I do spend a few minutes a day in the squat (grok squat if you like), and yes this is to stretch. I also randomly lean way back in my chair while spreading my arms wide and breathing deep. All manners of movements that I don't call "stretching" because its not a 3x/each side hold for a ten count maneuver.... but it is stretching. So I'd like to change my answer. Yes I stretch everyday several times a day and I do yoga 1-2x/week and I practice full ROM lifts on both machines and with freeweights 2x/week. There. That seems a bit more accurate
            Snap, yeah - I do those too. I guess they technically are stretches! I also hang after my chin-ups sometimes.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Originally posted by diene View Post
              Stretching is no longer "in." The thing to do now is mobility exercises a la Kelly Starrett.
              Yeah, this. Most of my improvements in mobility came from yoga (aka static stretching) bbut, saying that, it was my only form of fitness at that point, so maybe mobility exercises would have been even more effective. I'm certainly noticing that lifting is helping my flexibility! Maybe a combo of everything is needed for balance...

Originally posted by colobb View Post
              stretching is like doing bicep curls instead of chin-ups. My view on flexibility has changes dramatically after reading 'Becoming a Supple Leopard'. It gives a unique perspective on our horrible posture and mobility of modern people. He focuses on poses that mobilize joints not specific muscles. Some are very similar to yoga, but more directed towards peoples postural disfunction's.

MobilityWOD | All human beings should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves.
              Thanks for the link Colobb! I've seen supple leopard being discussed a few times round here: time to check it out

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              Well like I said meditation in motion really. Sitting quietly and attempting to meditate doesn't quite suit me. So focusing on the breath in conjunction with movement really quiets my mind much better.
              Oops, missed that first time! I completely agree with that. Sitting and meditating isn't for me. I like to focus on the sensations of the body as I practice yoga - you completely leave your mind behind when you do that.
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
              X