Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leangains - Martin's protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leangains - Martin's protocol

    Hey,

    It seems like Martin vanished from the face of the earth. His blog wasn't updated for ages.

    Does anybody know what protocol does he use for his clients? I found some hints in the comments section, but it's not really clear:

    Fuckarounditis | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

    Does anyone follow his IF method / macro cycling for T and R days? Working out fasted on BCAA?

    Thanks

  • #2
    His blog has all that info, he has a FAQ and getting started type post from memory

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea but not exact workout... or did I miss it?

      Comment


      • #4
        Martin does offer personal training services and as far I know that's where he would offer specific workout advice. While he has threatened to produce a book; none is available from him that I am aware of. He does advocate books like Beyond Brawn which offer a good sound approach to standard lifting technique.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Davidil View Post
          Yea but not exact workout... or did I miss it?
          He did some work with the guy from Free the Animal blog, discusses training plan there.

          Look up Andy Morgan from rippedbody.jp , he has training posts re leangains

          Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

          Comment


          • #7
            He doesn't offer any specific routines. But through his literature and seeing some of the workouts he's had his clients doing, you can gather that he's a big fan of sets of 5 for example. He likes the reverse pyramid training though.

            He also mentioned in there somewhere that he'll typically use full body 3 times per week for clients that are newbies or our of shape, then eventually progress to each body part as little as twice or even once per week for more advanced trainees. It makes sense because if you're out of shape you need both the work and practice and you can get away with a higher frequency because you aren't strong enough yet to require more rest days. When you're lifting heavier (because you're stronger), it makes sense that you'd need more days to recover.

            So that's simple enough. Right? Realize there is no perfect routine and as long as you keep it simple it will do. Personally I tried working out with different variations of 5x5 all last year and it gave me great results. My experience told me that results come slowly but surely with that method. You end up peaking and having to cycle back through. But after enough cycles, you end up stronger again. It just takes time and patience. Just lift heavy and be progressive and you should be just fine.

            I never did the eating part specifically the way he says. But I did use intermittent fasting and it does help A LOT to get rid of the fat and keep it off. The thing you have to realize with the leangains eating protocol, is that there isn't any proof for the necessities for some of what he does to make it work. So while it is "supposed" to be a more rational approach than other typical old school bodybuilding practices such as 6 meals per day, and it is a step back from excessive compulsive dieting, it still has you doing things that are unnecessary without the actual proof that it works or is necessary.

            With that being said, you very well could just train hard and cut calories as necessary, and you'd likely get the same results. That's the simple truth. If you can do that and stick to it for a few months, you'll surely see results. If you can't, then you won't. Simple as that.

            And as a side note, fasting helps A LOT in reducing calories and providing a more flexible diet. That's why I do it. And in my opinion, that should be the #1 premise of all the intermittent fasting literature that is actually science based. An additional note from Brad Pilon's literature is that you don't need the massive amounts of protein that is typically touted in bodybuilding communities. 60-120 grams per day is good for muscle growth. Any less (on average, meaning you can miss a day) hinders the growth process, and any more doesn't provide any additional benefit even if you're on steroids. But that doesn't mean for health, just muscle growth. The positive thing to note however is the satiating affect of protein, and that's a good thing.

            I hope that helps. Lift hard, be progressive, eat less if you have to, and you'll be set with a good body. Simple as that.

            Comment


            • #8
              Hey, thanks mate.

              I don't understand how you can do 5x5, how do you adjust the weights and know when to add more?

              You do the big three plus chines only or anything else?

              Comment


              • #9
                If I could meet any one guy in the fitness community and buy him a big Ribeye, it would be Martin Berkham....for me, he is the most straight-forward, non snake-oil salesman of anyone out there. Doesn't care to get rich, get notoriety, or anything else. Just integrity and confidence of his message, and I admire that. He has helped me immensely.

                For the diet, the .jp site does a great job of going through the macros. Outside of that, I do 3 big workouts a week, targeted to different areas, with a few accessory movements. Like him though, I am a minimalist. I generally workout in a short window, hate going to an AC building to supposedly get more healthy, do a lot of outdoor work, etc. Anyway, looks like this:

                #1: Bench (3,4,5 in reps with decreasing weight,benchmark lift), weighted tri dips, weighted/inclined pushups
                #2: Weighted chins (benchmark), biceps, military shoulder press, front shoulder raises
                #3: Squats (benchmark), weighted glute/ham raises, calf extensions

                About every 10 days or so I will do a deadlift in place of one benchmark....deadlift is a treat to be enjoyed
                "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

                Comment


                • #10
                  Thanks, I'll get back to this soon. Meanwhile I calculated my macros, if you have any comments before I start it would be great:

                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1288813

                  Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    yes.His blog has all that info, he has a FAQ and getting started type post from memory

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      I had a lot of success in the past with Pavels Power To The People protocol, hot very strong with that

                      I think that a program with

                      Deadlift
                      Squat
                      Bench press
                      Weighted chinup
                      Military press

                      Is all you need, maybe enen less

                      I tend to do 3 sets of 4-6 reps, increase weight when 3x6 achieved.

                      I did like pavels cyclical progressoons though, look it up if u haven't already

                      Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Davidil View Post
                        Hey, thanks mate.

                        I don't understand how you can do 5x5, how do you adjust the weights and know when to add more?
                        Use the first 4 sets as warm ups, and work up to a top set of 5 reps.

                        Let your first workout be easy. Then work your way slowly over many workouts eventually to weight that is hard. TAKE YOUR TIME.

                        Eventually you might get to some workouts where you can only do 4 or 3 reps. That's ok. Stick with the same weight and try again on the next workout.

                        If you get to the point of burnout, you'll know it. It happens to me periodically. Pretty much what happens is I'll work my way up to a top weight over several weeks or a few months, and suddenly my strength will drop. If I can't progress from there, usually I'll just drop the weight and start all over again and cycle back through. Then when I peak, I'll usually end up stronger on the next cycle.

                        So that's just how I do it. I don't write it in stone. I just go by feel. Like I said, I have to start out light and force myself to hold back, otherwise I burn out too quick. I'm 35 years old and I just don't like to work heavy ALL the time anymore.

                        But if you think about it, it actually makes a lot more sense to do it that way. For example, if a 275x5 squat is hard for you, you're going to burn out on it if you jump right into it, and in addition a 280x5 squat might be noticeably harder. But if you approach 275x5 slowly over many workouts by 5-10 lb jumps, you'll eventually creep past it and you'll be hitting 315x5 instead. But like I said, if you approach it too fast, it isn't going to happen.

                        That's just my experience at this age. I know the gains can happen faster for a newbie. But when you already gained most of your size and have some age on you, it's different. Also, I think low-moderate volume 5x5 routines are different anyways. You won't get as strong as fast as you will on some other routines. But they still work, it just takes longer. And they work better in the long run because you avoid burnout. 5x5 is like the turtle that wins the race.

                        Originally posted by Davidil View Post
                        You do the big three plus chines only or anything else?
                        I like chins and I've worked them in. But I've tried different styles.

                        One time I did a workout for a while, 2 workouts per week, each consisting of squats, bench, cleans, and chins. Eventually due to lack of time, I dropped the chins for a few months.

                        I also did the 2 day workout in the book "Dinosaur Training" by Brooks Kubik. That routine was A LOT more fun due to the variety. And it worked pretty well.

                        So, just pick one you like best or make up your own, and go with it. I can promise you, that if you stick to basic lifts and 5x5 as your main workout, let that be full body or split, the gains will come. Without a doubt.

                        Chins are a great exercise, but I don't think it's something that you HAVE to have. It's your choice, as long as you are getting all of your muscles worked. That's fine.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Ripped View Post
                          He doesn't offer any specific routines. But through his literature and seeing some of the workouts he's had his clients doing, you can gather that he's a big fan of sets of 5 for example. He likes the reverse pyramid training though.

                          He also mentioned in there somewhere that he'll typically use full body 3 times per week for clients that are newbies or our of shape, then eventually progress to each body part as little as twice or even once per week for more advanced trainees. It makes sense because if you're out of shape you need both the work and practice and you can get away with a higher frequency because you aren't strong enough yet to require more rest days. When you're lifting heavier (because you're stronger), it makes sense that you'd need more days to recover.

                          So that's simple enough. Right? Realize there is no perfect routine and as long as you keep it simple it will do. Personally I tried working out with different variations of 5x5 all last year and it gave me great results. My experience told me that results come slowly but surely with that method. You end up peaking and having to cycle back through. But after enough cycles, you end up stronger again. It just takes time and patience. Just lift heavy and be progressive and you should be just fine.

                          I never did the eating part specifically the way he says. But I did use intermittent fasting and it does help A LOT to get rid of the fat and keep it off. The thing you have to realize with the leangains eating protocol, is that there isn't any proof for the necessities for some of what he does to make it work. So while it is "supposed" to be a more rational approach than other typical old school bodybuilding practices such as 6 meals per day, and it is a step back from excessive compulsive dieting, it still has you doing things that are unnecessary without the actual proof that it works or is necessary.

                          With that being said, you very well could just train hard and cut calories as necessary, and you'd likely get the same results. That's the simple truth. If you can do that and stick to it for a few months, you'll surely see results. If you can't, then you won't. Simple as that.

                          And as a side note, fasting helps A LOT in reducing calories and providing a more flexible diet. That's why I do it. And in my opinion, that should be the #1 premise of all the intermittent fasting literature that is actually science based. An additional note from Brad Pilon's literature is that you don't need the massive amounts of protein that is typically touted in bodybuilding communities. 60-120 grams per day is good for muscle growth. Any less (on average, meaning you can miss a day) hinders the growth process, and any more doesn't provide any additional benefit even if you're on steroids. But that doesn't mean for health, just muscle growth. The positive thing to note however is the satiating affect of protein, and that's a good thing.

                          I hope that helps. Lift hard, be progressive, eat less if you have to, and you'll be set with a good body. Simple as that.
                          This is a really great post. I'd just like to add three points:

                          1.) Stick to the routine. Don't make excuses. Did you work late? That's not an excuse to skip the gym. I guess that means you'll be eating a later dinner. Don't worry, you can DVR The Walking Dead and watch it later! I do a Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Saturday split. Sometimes life happens and I can't make Monday. Well, now it's a Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday/Saturday split. I always get my workouts in.

                          2.) Develop a routine you love doing. Shoulder presses are great, but if you hate going to the gym to do them, you'll eventually quit. I love going to the gym, and I love my routine. I look forward to it all day! Some days, it's the highlight of the day. Love what you do and you'll love the results you get. Find movements that are fun and challenge you.

                          3.) Get to the gym! Sometimes, I know, you just don't feel like going. I find the hardest part about working out is just getting there. I joined a gym on the way home from work. I never have to go out of my way to get there. Once you get inside the doors, the rest is easy.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X