Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone designed a workout with kids?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone designed a workout with kids?

I'm thinking that the best way for me to start doing PBF in a more focused way (as opposed to just trying to remember to do some pullups at the playground) is to have exercises I do with my kids, specifically. My kids are SO HAPPY if I am just out there running around with them, so they'll do whatever.

I realize that one of my fitness goals is to be able to sprint or pull-up with my youngest hanging onto me (he's 3.5). I'll leave the 7yo for my husband I feel like it's an important survival tool to be able to escape an emergency situation while assisting my kids (since that would be a priority).

Do you have any specific exercises that you do that include your kids?

Originally posted by banjosal View Post
    I'm thinking that the best way for me to start doing PBF in a more focused way (as opposed to just trying to remember to do some pullups at the playground) is to have exercises I do with my kids, specifically. My kids are SO HAPPY if I am just out there running around with them, so they'll do whatever.

I realize that one of my fitness goals is to be able to sprint or pull-up with my youngest hanging onto me (he's 3.5). I'll leave the 7yo for my husband I feel like it's an important survival tool to be able to escape an emergency situation while assisting my kids (since that would be a priority).

Do you have any specific exercises that you do that include your kids?
    I have bear crawl or crab crawl races against my 3.5 year old son.....

Comment

Fun! I was racing with the elder this am and that went pretty well. I get all excited when I start doing something new I know I can go with the flow...

Comment

take your children, some balls, skipping ropes, bikes, scooters etc-and let them make an obstacle course (aka circuit) which you all have to do
        We did this on the field today, lots of fun and really just playing which is kind of the whole point isn't it?

Comment

My 7 yo loves stretching together, so I am hoping to do proper partner stretching with her eventually, beyond simply pulling on one another for fun.
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

All 3 (ages 9, 7, and 4) of mine go with me to workout in our family barn and pasture area. They swing on ropes, climb up and over the partitions, do pull-ups, handstands, "obstacle" type runs that they make up (we work the imagination, too! LOL), jump rope and then copy a lot of what they see me doing.

Their all-time favorite is sprint time. That's when we are running for ours lives from all the bears, tigers, dragons, and T-rexes they can think up.

Lately they are stuck on the American Ninja Warrior show so I see a lot of "that" in their activities. We also have a family soccer game in the evenings usually so plenty of play time, too.

Does using them as "heavy things" to lift count as exercising with them? lol

Comment

How to work out with kids

Yup as long as they are small enough you can use em just like dumbbells or kettlebells. You have to teach em to curl up in a ball so they don't throw off your balance, but it works. Just make sure if you have two kids you manipulate their diets to keep them near the same weight. Then when they are old enough you can fatten one of em up so as to use them for heavy barbell work.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keWCS942iFM
                Last edited by OldSchhool; 08-19-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Good tips! Thanks!

Comment

I do push-ups with my kids on my back. Getting a bit hard now the oldest is nine....
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

You all reminded me of this video

Comment

^haha... nice. And I totally do all those with my two boys. They love it.

Comment

I have my 2 kids (ages 5 & 7) sit in a cheap plastic sled which is tied to a climbing rope. I pull them around the yard and field behind my house until near failure. For "recovery" I turn around and hand-over-hand pull them to me. I then repeat this until I fall on the ground. The kids love this.

I also put them in a wheel barrow and push them around. (My wife makes me clean it first but the kids don't care one way or the other.)

I play kickball with them -- me against the two of them. Being the only fielder requires a lot of sprinting. I always lose but I get a decent workout from it.

My 5 year old hates walking and always wants to be carried. I look at it as a chance to carry a load over a long distance. And hold my beautiful little girl. At first, I was worried that this might make her lazy, but she's not otherwise and I figure at some point she won't want her father carrying her around all of the time so this will be a self-correcting situation.

We also do the obstacle course thing mentioned earlier.

We also go for little "hikes" in the woods a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by mev20 View Post
                            My 5 year old hates walking and always wants to be carried. I look at it as a chance to carry a load over a long distance. And hold my beautiful little girl. At first, I was worried that this might make her lazy, but she's not otherwise and I figure at some point she won't want her father carrying her around all of the time so this will be a self-correcting situation.
                            Good move. The best boy-repellant a teenage girl can have is a warm and affectionate relationship with her father.
                            50yo, 5'3"
                            SW-195
                            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

I do my sprints with my 6 year old! (although the 4 and 2 year old try to keep up meaning they run in a circle )

I have a .10 of a mile path I follow. I will tell my son to start running as fast as he can. At about the time he hits the halfway mark, I began sprinting resulting in me just passing him as we get to the end. We repeat this back and forth for around 6-8 minutes and then I let him pick points in our yard to run to and let him "lead" again, he runs first and I follow afterwards, that way it isn't me blowing past him right as we start!

Comment

Working...
                              X