Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combining strength and hypertrophy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Combining strength and hypertrophy?

    I have done SS for over a year and it's starting to bore me. I thoight maybe it would be cool if I added some bodybuilding stuff.
    I came up with this workout (it's a 10 day split):

    Day 1: Upper body strength
    Day 3: Lower body strength
    Day 5: (Start workout with 3x5 bench press and shoulder press) then hypertrophy: chest, shoulders, triceps
    Day 6: (Start workout with 1x5 deadlift) then hypertrophy: Back and biceps
    Day: 8: Full body strength (basically an SS workout

    So tell me, is this a horrible idea?
    well then

  • #2
    Doesn't sound particularly horrible, but I'd look into doing 5/3/1 with the boring but big accessory workout. I've had good success with that before, and have just started doing it again.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
      I have done SS for over a year and it's starting to bore me.
      Wait, you've added 800 pounds to your squats?
      The Champagne of Beards

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks like too much volume to me, but I'm old (at least compared to you).

        I think your little misguided to think that Adding hypertrophy to your strength work will somehow require Less rest. Cause thats what this program looks like to me.

        But IMO part of the fun is creating a program and running it for a while to see how it works for you. Sure you aren't really qualified and there are plenty of time tested ones out there, but Hell you are young and as long as you get the basics down the worst that really can happen is nothing . So give it a run for 4-6 weeks and see if its worth anything.

        And I will go ahead and agree ahead of time with people saying "What getting strong is boring?" And such, but heck I remember being 16/17... and at that time building a program and doing it yourself had some intrinsic value. Maybe it was the mental work of putting togeather a routine from the ground up and doing it. Thats where the "fun" I'm talking bout comes in.
        Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-15-2013, 05:31 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          Wait, you've added 800 pounds to your squats?
          Hmm you're right. Actually I initially just wanted to seperate my squats from my other exercises. Do you think this is possible?
          well then

          Comment


          • #6
            Yup. Definitely possible. Programs like 5/3/1 are laid out with squats (and their assistance) on their own day (assuming the 4-day/week version).
            The Champagne of Beards

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, remember to stay on Starting Strength until you are "strong enough", adding 800 pound to your squat is a minimum here...
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

              - Schopenhauer

              Comment


              • #8
                My question to you is what is your goal? Speaking as a trainer the program you set up seems all over the place. A little of this with a touch of that and then maybe some new shoes and a gym bag and I'll be jacked!!!

                Sit down, and figure what do I want to be able to do in 3 months and set a program for that goal. Forget about bicep curls and triceps extensions. Pull ups, squats, chest press and deadlift. Get strong, then you get jacked.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Iron Will View Post
                  My question to you is what is your goal? Speaking as a trainer the program you set up seems all over the place. A little of this with a touch of that and then maybe some new shoes and a gym bag and I'll be jacked!!!

                  Sit down, and figure what do I want to be able to do in 3 months and set a program for that goal. Forget about bicep curls and triceps extensions. Pull ups, squats, chest press and deadlift. Get strong, then you get jacked.
                  I'm not sure exactly how strong Gadsie has gotten himself, but he has been doing a pretty strength-focused program for quite a while. I think he wants to maintain/slowly gain strength but add some sort of hypertrophy focus. I think something like 5/3/1 with the Boring but Big assistance work might be appropriate. Don't you?
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    5/3/1 is a great program no doubt and I've had clients that have made nice gains using this program but there are a ton of good ones out there and they really do depend on specific goals and experience.

                    Before suggesting any program or trying to make a goal about lifting a certain weight make the goal to perform the perfect squat. Drop the weight and work the mechanics. You would not believe how poorly people squat. It's one if my pet peeves. Learning proper body mechanics when you're you g will pay huge dividends in the future.

                    That's a great 3 month goal. Learn how to squat with perfect form. It's a bigger challenge than you may think.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here's another vote for 5/3/1. It's such a flexible program. You can keep progressing on the main lifts and add in whatever you want after them. The Boring But Big template would probably work well for your goals, or you can make up your own template. Just make sure to eat and sleep plenty.
                      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

                      This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Yup. Definitely possible. Programs like 5/3/1 are laid out with squats (and their assistance) on their own day (assuming the 4-day/week version).
                        Thanks, that program looks really cool
                        well then

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Iron Will View Post
                          5/3/1 is a great program no doubt and I've had clients that have made nice gains using this program but there are a ton of good ones out there and they really do depend on specific goals and experience.

                          Before suggesting any program or trying to make a goal about lifting a certain weight make the goal to perform the perfect squat. Drop the weight and work the mechanics. You would not believe how poorly people squat. It's one if my pet peeves. Learning proper body mechanics when you're you g will pay huge dividends in the future.

                          That's a great 3 month goal. Learn how to squat with perfect form. It's a bigger challenge than you may think.
                          I know squatting is difficult and I don't want to be one of those guys who says he's a perfect squatter but actually sucks but I literally try to improve my squat every workout for the past year, my squat is at least decent
                          well then

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good for you on the squats G. That's awesome! Just remember knees out don't let your ankles cave in!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Iron Will View Post
                              Good for you on the squats G. That's awesome! Just remember knees out don't let your ankles cave in!!
                              I got a fever, and the only prescription is more knees out!
                              The Champagne of Beards

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X