The benefits of running?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The benefits of running?

Hi I was wondering if running gets rid of stored glycogen reserves and clears your system? What other benefits does running have

You are always burning a mix of sugar and fat, harder you run, the more sugar you burn and the less fat, and vice versa.

Endurance running probably doesn't have many upsides on the health front, but building/maintaining some sort of aerobic base is a good thing most likely. That said, I would favour fast 5k runs over long slow distance stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by thriveful View Post
      You are always burning a mix of sugar and fat, harder you run, the more sugar you burn and the less fat, and vice versa.

Endurance running probably doesn't have many upsides on the health front, but building/maintaining some sort of aerobic base is a good thing most likely. That said, I would favour fast 5k runs over long slow distance stuff.
      Thanks went for a run on the reason ill today. Started off with a slow jog at 10 for 10 minutes and then for the remaining twenty minutes I was doing 15 for one minute and 9 the next followed by 15 again (you get the picture) is that good?

Comment

Originally posted by Buster11 View Post
        Thanks went for a run on the reason ill today. Started off with a slow jog at 10 for 10 minutes and then for the remaining twenty minutes I was doing 15 for one minute and 9 the next followed by 15 again (you get the picture) is that good?
        Yes. HIIT will get you the fat burning benefits, (if that's what you are after), more so than long runs at steady pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
          Yes. HIIT will get you the fat burning benefits, (if that's what you are after), more so than long runs at steady pace.
          Cheers for the info, great to hear as I killed it on the treadmill today. Thanks

Comment

Hi I was wondering if running gets rid of stored glycogen reserves and clears your system? What other benefits does running have
            Right intensity helps up regulates GLUT4 pathway. A way for your muscles to take in glucose without having to crank up insulin so you get double benefit... reduced blood glucose circulation and lower insulin need. But this is in no way relevant just to running. Weight lifting, wrestling, climbing.... ect. all would do the trick.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-14-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              Right intensity helps up regulates GLUT4 pathway. A way for your muscles to take in glucose without having to crank up insulin so you get double benefit... reduced blood glucose circulation and lower insulin need. But this is in no way relevant just to running. Weight lifting, wrestling, climbing.... ect. all would do the trick.
              great thanks, just had goji berries and blueberries with full fat natural yoghurt so basically it will have less effect on my body?

Comment

great thanks, just had goji berries and blueberries with full fat natural yoghurt so basically it will have less effect on my body?
                Which type of effect? I mean I wouldn't worry bout it either way ..... sounds like you had a good workout, enjoy.

Comment

It makes me feel super great when done at will. I do prefer swimming but I find no shortage of parks 'round here and a complete absence of a warm ocean. coastal folks are lucky! Erm, running is still better than sitting on ye butt.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

So endurance running is fine to build a large aerpbic base, im well versed with the work of Phil Maffetone etc, did a lot of heart rate work myself on the past.

There has beem quite a bit of research suggesting that a shitload of cardio over time has detrimemtal effects on the heart wall, so I think that chronic cardio for the sake of it is not advantageous unless it os your sport or you love it. Running 50-60 miles a week left me skinny fat and knackered all the time

I think that running is fine, but shorter distances are preferable for me. Other than the sport element, how often do u need to run 10 miles? For base building, I think that mixing walking, jogging, sprinting, crawling etc into a workout more mimics our ancestral behaviour than jogging for 2 hours at 150 bpm.

Horses for courses

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by thriveful View Post

Do both. Endurance running likely has alot of health benefits, with direct connection back to our wild man days.

The key here is that after any stress is placed on the body (endurance running in this case) enough time is allowed for both recovery and adaptation before embarking on repeating the stressful event.

It's the time between runs/ lifts/ stress events that's important to health, not the particular event.

Sent from my iPhone
                      A little primal gem - My Success Story
                      Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

Leaving aside the physical, running can have a lot of mental benefits. It can connect you to nature, be meditative and help clear your thoughts, enhance the music you listen to etc. These days I only run occasionally and mainly just for the pleasure of it.

Comment

Being able to run a few a few miles cant be a bad thing. Just working up to endurance level events and over training/only training running is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                            Being able to run a few a few miles cant be a bad thing. Just working up to endurance level events and over training/only training running is bad.
                            Totally agree

Comment

It'll help you stress less, fight cancer, and boost your bones. Running reduces the risk of stroke and breast cancer.Running is one of the best activities most people can do to improve their health. It raises HDL (or “good”) cholesterol, reduces the risk of blood clots

Comment

Working...
                              X