Why Not Lift Every Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not Lift Every Day

I have wondered why we read from knowledgable weight trainers to only train 3X a week when people like farmers etc lift heavy daily? Most of the people I have seen who live a life full of "training" are healthy and have beautiful bodies. I get all of the scientific reasoning of resting and growth but when I see people in real life it seems to not apply.

Cause we (well I and most that are recommending only 3 or less days a week) train at a higher intensity and different metabolic zone than those daily workers. For instance my family has a lot of iron workers in it.... lots of heavy lifting right? Well kind of. Its more like your working in the muscular endurance realm than strength or power. Your endurance fibers tend to recover more quickly than your fast twitch ones associated with higher 1RM and such.

Comment

what he said.

If you lift heavy enough to prompt strength gains you need more rest than 1 day.

Comment

It's all about the dosage. People lifting maximally at very close to the damage threshold are after the large adaptation response that happens when doing this. Ironically this large adaptation response also takes large amounts of time to produce, ie lots of rest.

The farmer however is lifting much further away from maximal and can therefore recover rather quickly, requiring only small amounts of rest ie smoko and lunch. Although this farmer also gains an adaptation response from his daily duties and will eventually have alot of effectual strength as any city slicker will attest to after trying to emulate his daily routine. This adaptation response is less than the gym rat's but is still significant if done over a long period.

Sent from my iPhone
        A little primal gem - My Success Story
        Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

So who in fact is stronger and in better health? The city dweller who lifts 3X a week or the farmer?

Comment

That depends on your definition of "stronger." Is it stronger to lift and throw 70# haybales for several hours at a shot, or to do a 3x5 deadlift of, say, 300#?
            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

It seems that my endurance is nothing while I seem to be getting stronger by the week. So, what can I do to be more like the farmer in terms of stamina? Throwing hay around is hard, I'm sure I couldn't cut it. Dead lifting outside of the gym doesn't mimic a thing I do in real life.

Comment

well train more like the work you do in real life?

Comment

Currently I actually lift 6 days a week. But each body part just twice in that 6 day cycle. For example Chest and Back on Monday and Thursday. However next week I'm switching up to a 3 Day per week muscle endurance program for a couple of weeks (light weights very high reps). I like to shock the system every once in awhile, hit the muscles in a different way with a different form of intensity.

Here's what I'm planning:

2 Circuits (30 second rest between exercises - 2 minute rest between circuits)

50 Squats - 135 lbs.
                  40 Bench Presses - 135 lbs.
                  20 Pull-ups - Bodyweight
                  20 Dips - Body weight
                  20 Seated Pulley Row - 130 lbs.
                  30 Calf Raises - 200 lbs.
                  50 Sit-ups
                  50 Hyper-extensions
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Originally posted by umm7 View Post
                    So who in fact is stronger and in better health? The city dweller who lifts 3X a week or the farmer?
                    Both the same really. Both use their work as their measure of strength. Gym is just there because we don't all live on farms anymore.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

As always it depends on individual set-up and context; you can train and lift every day, especially if having a lazy job and not a stressful life, but you cannot train with very high intensity every day above 90 % of 1 RM! So if you learn to play with intensity and volume i.e. periodization, based on your individual situation, then you may even train and progress on lifting weights twice a day if you prefer...
                      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

It seems that my endurance is nothing while I seem to be getting stronger by the week. So, what can I do to be more like the farmer in terms of stamina? Throwing hay around is hard, I'm sure I couldn't cut it. Dead lifting outside of the gym doesn't mimic a thing I do in real life.
                        If your walking down the path and see a park bench BAMM smash out some incline push-ups. Happen to be under a low branch, see if you can see over that sucker a few times. Faced with a set of stairs? Bound up them like a mountain lion chasing prey. Swim as far as you can next time your near water/pool. See how fast you can dominate that steep incline on your pushy next time.

Along with what you can deadlift all those things I mentioned( and many more) are "feats of strength", you can get a good bearing of your overall strength if you measure it many different ways.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Pick up a farm job

Just do more. Farmers can stack a ton of hay (literally- that's how it's sold), because they've been doing it for years. So have your "workout" days, but on your "rest" days, don't sit on your duff. It might slow down your absolute strength gains, since, as mentioned above, the rest days are where you actually make your gains. However, you will be training your body to expect to do more than just your 30 or 60 minutes at the gym. Go help build things in a park, or cut wood for someone with a woodstove. The more you do, the more your body will get accustomed to doing.
                          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Stronger does not equal better health. Apples and oranges.

Comment

I chase around kids all day, I am a stay at home mother and I have a large family. Getting away from them to do all of the things mentioned above are great ideas, I hope that I can do more of them. I already do many of them. I had just thought maybe lifting more than 3X a week would help me get the results I'm looking for. I have a weight room in my home and it's not impossible to use it often. Going swimming or a bike ride (real not stationary) won't happen in the next five years.

Comment

Working...
                              X