No announcement yet.

Better Fitness without Hard Training!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Fitness without Hard Training!!!

I started PB beginning of Feb because I was so tired all the time. I am a 53 yo woman, heading into 'the change", and starting to lose all energy to workout. I used to mix it up with weight training, bike riding, and running. I had participated in 3 triathlons in previous years, most recently in 2008. But in the past year I just completely ran out of steam and let it all go. I am a RN working 12 hour shifts - on my feet most of that time - and was starting to feel like I was going to have to quit my job as well.

The first month of PB, all I did was walk 2-3 miles a day. I rested as much as I felt I needed. By month two felt enough better to start adding in a weight workout once a week. As my energy allowed, I started sprinting up hills whenever I came to one on my walks (this was pretty intermittent). The past few weeks, I added an additional weight workout. I haven't done any running or biking beyond riding a mile to the grocery store. This doesn't feel like any kind of tough training regimen AT ALL. My energy level at work has gone back up so that I am maintaining my focus and energy throughout the day.

The biggest, most pleasant surprise to me came yesterday when I took my bike out for a spin. My partner and I had signed up for a 40 mile organized ride that is next weekend (May 8). I thought I had better log some time in the saddle,fearing I might not be able to do the 40 miles since I am so "out of shape". We live on top of a hill - a 500 ft climb to get home at the end of any ride. At the beginning of the season, I have always struggled to get up that hill and I have measured my improvement in fitness by the increasing ease of getting up the hill. Well, yesterday, after a winter of virtually NO bicycling and NO other "cardio" training, I just climbed up that hill in a higher gear and with less difficulty than EVER, EVER, EVER before!!!!!! I actually enjoyed myself. I also did not get hungry for several hours after my ride, did not have any carbo cravings.

Mark is right - if you follow the PB training recommendations, you will be fit enough to go out and bike up a hill or run a race or hike up a mountain, or participate in probably any number of activities with more ease than you think possible. I am getting OLD - definitely not a spring chicken - and after just 3 months of PB living, my fitness is better than it was when i was younger doing conventional cardio. How freeing to know one can just go out and do things without having to "get in shape" for them!

Yeah, great for you Barb! But get that "I am getting old" thought OUTTA your mind. Healthy 53 is NOT old.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Comment

What a wonderful feeling, Barb! And so inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

This belongs in the success story section of the forum. Congrats!
        ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

Comment

Thanks Willow! Hey, does anybody else have any experiences like this they would like to share?

Comment

Working...
          X