Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Were Your Top 5 Newbie Lifter Mistakes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't realize at first that I am as old as I am and that 3x a week would be hard to recover from. I also thought I could do more things so as to spend more time getting exercise. But I could not do so much and had to cut back to the basics and little else and only lift 2x a week. I have improved my ability to recover over time so I can add a few more things now and then, like training for a pull-up (I'm so close!) or taking an Oly lifting class.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Do you have the 0.5 or 0.75" Do-wins?
      I have the .75" ones. If .5" was available at the time, I probably would've bought those instead. That being said, mine have served me well. I wear them for everything, even deadlifts.
      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775
        I have the .75" ones. If .5" was available at the time, I probably would've bought those instead. That being said, mine have served me well. I wear them for everything, even deadlifts.
        I have the Adidas Powerlifts, which are .5" or .6" and I'm actually feeling like .75" might be the way to go when I replace them. Haven't even tried deadlifting in them, but I do all my squats, power cleans, and presses in them. Some people say they compress more than "real" weightlifting shoes, but I don't notice it, possibly due to the fact that my bodyweight and the weight on the bar are feeble compared to most people who wear weightlifting shoes, and might not be enough to squish the EVA soles to any significant degree. What kind of belt do you wear?
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I have one from Best Belts (athlete type, I think). It pinches my gut some during deadlifts, but it's been a big help for them and my squats. It's going to last a long time.
          In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
            I have one from Best Belts (athlete type, I think). It pinches my gut some during deadlifts, but it's been a big help for them and my squats. It's going to last a long time.
            I have my eye on the 3" Best Belt, which is the same as the athlete belt single-prong, just an inch narrower. I am hoping that my 5'6 stature will render 3" sufficient for squats yet narrow enough not to get in the way for pulls from the floor. Do you clean with it? Some people (T-bone, I think) feel the buckle gets in the way of keeping the bar close on the Oly lifts/derivatives. I am wearing a crappy 4" nylon Valeo belt that I bought on Amazon for like $15 until I save up for a Best Belt. What color do you have?
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I have my eye on the 3" Best Belt, which is the same as the athlete belt single-prong, just an inch narrower. I am hoping that my 5'6 stature will render 3" sufficient for squats yet narrow enough not to get in the way for pulls from the floor. Do you clean with it? Some people (T-bone, I think) feel the buckle gets in the way of keeping the bar close on the Oly lifts/derivatives. I am wearing a crappy 4" nylon Valeo belt that I bought on Amazon for like $15 until I save up for a Best Belt. What color do you have?
              I’d imagine that a 3” belt would be very helpful for pulls from the floor. It should work fine for squats, too. I only use my belt for squats and deadlifts. I’ll probably start using it for presses and cleans when I get closer to my BW on them. T-Bone is probably correct about the buckle. She does specialize in the Olympic lifts, after all. Heck, I just do power cleans because their fun . I just checked my email receipt for the color. It’s chocolate, haha

Comment

I’d imagine that a 3” belt would be very helpful for pulls from the floor. It should work fine for squats, too. I only use my belt for squats and deadlifts. I’ll probably start using it for presses and cleans when I get closer to my BW on them. T-Bone is probably correct about the buckle. She does specialize in the Olympic lifts, after all. Heck, I just do power cleans because their fun . I just checked my email receipt for the color. It’s chocolate, haha
                I was hoping you'd say Rust. I have yet to see a photo of a Best Belt in Rust and their color chart leaves much to be desired. How do you like the looks of the Chocolate?
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

It's a dark brown. I like earth tones, so it works for me. You could probably email the people at Best Belt and ask for some pictures. They seem to be very helpful.

Comment

It's a dark brown. I like earth tones, so it works for me. You could probably email the people at Best Belt and ask for some pictures. They seem to be very helpful.
                    Yeah, I don't want to ask them over and over and I keep changing my mind. I've asked a few guys on the SS forums to post photos of theirs. I've seen orange, maroon, blue, and a couple of other colors. When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'll ask for a few photos from Mr. and Mrs. Best if I'm still undecided.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Not sure they sell weightlifting shoes at REI, etc... I'd personally be ordering the 0.5" heel Rogue shoes now if I needed a pair.
                      REI doesn't have any weightlifting shoes... at least not the one in my town.
                      Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

After reading about the lady with the corset and the 16" waist in that other thread, I think it might be best not to use a belt unless the weight is heavier than the human body can handle. I can't see myself ever lifting that much weight.

As for shoes, I got a pair of Stem/Lemmings/Lems. They're perfectly flat, minimalist shoes but they hug my foot nicely and have good traction on the floor. I don't know if weight lifting shoes would make a whole lot of difference for me.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Listening to a certified personal trainer about how "machines" are the only way to go.

Comment

Newbies resting on machines between sets is a horrible, horrible, thing to observe! They should move around to keep blood circulating and attack the equipment fiercely to beat the hell out of it, instead of sitting on their ass glancing empty into the air or listening to soft music on headphones…
                            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                              Newbies resting on machines between sets is a horrible, horrible, thing to observe! They should move around to keep blood circulating and attack the equipment fiercely to beat the hell out of it, instead of sitting on their ass glancing empty into the air or listening to soft music on headphones…
                              Newbies on machines is already a bad start...

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                                After reading about the lady with the corset and the 16" waist in that other thread, I think it might be best not to use a belt unless the weight is heavier than the human body can handle. I can't see myself ever lifting that much weight.
                                But you're comparing apples and oranges. Her corset allowed her not to have to support her trunk using her abdominals. The belt allows you to flex your abdominals harder than you otherwise could without the external resistance.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                                As for shoes, I got a pair of Stem/Lemmings/Lems. They're perfectly flat, minimalist shoes but they hug my foot nicely and have good traction on the floor. I don't know if weight lifting shoes would make a whole lot of difference for me.
                                I was a skeptic too. Hope you get to try a pair on sometime soon. They really make a difference.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X