Your max heart rate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your max heart rate?

I went for a run tonight aiming for a steady aerobic workout. Anyway I. Had the urge to try and measure my max heart rate. Towards the end of my run I sprinted as hard as I could for about 60 to 70 metres and as soon as I stopped counted my heart beats in ten sexonds then multiplied by 6. Max heart rate of 204 give or take a beat or two! Seems a little high if you go by the 220 minus age thing in marks book. I'm 33 and reasonably fit. Ran 2 half marathons last year. Should I be worried or is that ok?
    Adam

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

220 minus your age is a rule of thumb for all humans... so there's a pretty big curve on that.

There is nothing to be worried about at all.

Before I had heart damage from an antibiotic and had to go on beta blockers, I had a very high average heart rate over half-marathons (I wore a monitor). I looked into it because a friend was very worried, and it means nothing. Again, the normal curve is pretty big.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

In my 30's doing step aerobics where we tested heart rate several times a class(usually after a particularly hard part) I was regularly over 200 and was in really good shape fitness wise. If you didn't feel like you were going to pass out I just think you are an outlier for that formula.

Comment

No I didn't feel like passing out, sick more like!!! I guess I just felt that clicking above 200 was a bit dodgy. Was expecting around 180 to 190 I guess. Thanks for your replies.

Comment

I did a bike ride with a monitor, and my max was around 202 bpm. I don't think it's necessarily a problem. At least I haven't had any issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by snoops View Post
            In my 30's doing step aerobics where we tested heart rate several times a class(usually after a particularly hard part) I was regularly over 200 and was in really good shape fitness wise. If you didn't feel like you were going to pass out I just think you are an outlier for that formula.
            Be careful with that talk of passing out, my buddy went down to officer training and told them he gets dizzy some times after working out and they sent him home to get his heart tested!

He was upset because he yelled at the doctors and told them that "if you don't get dizzy when you're working out you're doing it wrong!".
            Yes, I'm a real person.

Comment

Originally posted by adam204 View Post
              No I didn't feel like passing out, sick more like!!! I guess I just felt that clicking above 200 was a bit dodgy. Was expecting around 180 to 190 I guess. Thanks for your replies.
              What's the deal here: Are the forums being invaded by the Brits or is it just a fad to add 'ou' and use British words like 'dodgy' nowadays?
              Yes, I'm a real person.

Comment

I'm 54 and recently clocked 181 during a stress test. Cardiologist was pleased that I could get it higher than the prediction.

BTW, 220-age is a rough estimate only. There are more accurate formulae but they are all just estimates based on population averages
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

heart rate is too high around 180 beats per minute

Comment

Originally posted by Choleslo View Post
                    heart rate is too high around 180 beats per minute
                    Go on?
                    Yes, I'm a real person.

Comment

Going by memory here.... but the problem with a high heart rate (above 200) isn't that it's bad for the heart. The problem is that it loses it's pumping efficiency because it can't fill up fast enough to pump enough blood to meet the demads of the body. This is in the averge person.... average meaning couch potato, basically. Physical fitness would push that limit back a bit, but eventually you hit a limit on how much blood can get in and out of the heart when it beats that fast.

Comment

I do not use the HM any more (I have one that can be tied around the chest for continuous monitoring), but when I run elliptical in the gym, the HR that the device measures often goes over 200, but oscillates in the 150 to 210 range. I am almost 38, and I think it's normal, and the whole idea of intervals is that you push and then give back a little, which I think will happen when running as well. I doubt anyone who is not motivated by a 'do or die' situation or an external influence will rake up HR beyond capacity during the routine workout without noticing that it's getting insanely hard? No?
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I've understood that 220 bpm is the highest possible rate. The max rate for an individual is determined by their heridity. Unlike resting heart rate that can be trained lower as fitness improves, max heart rate is what it is for the individual. You need an understanding of what it is for you to know what your training zones are. I've approximated mine before by racing 5k at a hard effort, with redline effort finish. Take the average heart rate for the third mile an add 5 bpm and that will be close to what your max heart rate is.

Comment

I've found that I need a little warmup before achieving max heart rate on my bike. I get mine going by doing a final sprint for last few minutes of a decent hill climb.

Comment

Origin of 220 minus age MHR formula

For something about the origin of the 220 minus age formula for max heart rate, try this link at the Dr. Mirkin web site: Maximum Heart Rate Formula. It also gives what he considers the best age related MHR formula.

After reading that a long time ago, I no longer worry too much about MHR. It'll be whatever I can make it be.

Comment

Working...
                              X