No announcement yet.

Shin Splints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I have experienced having shin splints before. Some experts call it Tibial Medial Stress Syndrome. I initially felt throbbing pain on my front lower leg. I did put ice on my shin which helped reduce the swelling a little. I didn't know what it was until I did my own research and came across this article. Shin Splints - Self Help Tips, Treatment and Prevention From The Barefoot Running Doctor at Team Doctors - Team Doctors Blog | Athlete for Life!
    This article helped me learn exactly the signs and symptoms of shin splints and how shin splints can be prevented. Also included are self help tips on how I could relieve pain and more!
    I was really thankful that the author, Dr. James Stoxen demonstrated the Deep tissue treatment on a video tutorial which is included in the article. I tried it and it was really effective! I always do it on my feet and legs before running. Itís really interesting to find out that barefoot running helps build up the human spring mechanism. Dr. Stoxen himself is a barefoot runner. Iíve converted and been running barefoot for 8 months now. NO MORE shin splints!

Comment

Run more on your toes, if you can.

A lot of times shin splints are caused by that shin muscle controlling the descent of the toe, after the heel has struck the ground. This is an eccentric motion for that muscle, which will just tear them up. Running on your toes means there will be no more eccentric motion there, but your calves will be destroyed for a little while. Fortunately, your calves have the capability to adapt to that stress better than your shins.

Comment

Get your feet checked by a podiatrist. They can be caused by foot problems. I see many people with them who get relief once their feet are properly aligned

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Gigi-

First off.. I love your site. You are hilarious.

Secondly.. I used to have a major problem with shin splints when I ran for a few days in a row. Adding one single stretch to my pre-run routine has TOTALLY fixed the problem:

1. Find the nearest staircase, and stand on a step, facing down the stairs (like you are walking down).
          2. Put your heels on the step, but let about half of your feet extend outward (toe first)
          3. Keep your legs straight and holding onto the rail, do the following with both feet simultaneously.
          4. Point your toes downward as far as you can, and hold for a few seconds.
          5. Now point your toes upward as far as you can and hold for a few seconds.
          6. Repeat this about 5 times.
          7. Repeat the whole process again, except this time do it with bent knees.

It will take about 2 minutes total, but it truly works. Try it.

Comment

Originally posted by pjefferson View Post
            Gigi-

First off.. I love your site. You are hilarious.

Secondly.. I used to have a major problem with shin splints when I ran for a few days in a row. Adding one single stretch to my pre-run routine has TOTALLY fixed the problem:

1. Find the nearest staircase, and stand on a step, facing down the stairs (like you are walking down).
            2. Put your heels on the step, but let about half of your feet extend outward (toe first)
            3. Keep your legs straight and holding onto the rail, do the following with both feet simultaneously.
            4. Point your toes downward as far as you can, and hold for a few seconds.
            5. Now point your toes upward as far as you can and hold for a few seconds.
            6. Repeat this about 5 times.
            7. Repeat the whole process again, except this time do it with bent knees.

It will take about 2 minutes total, but it truly works. Try it.
            THANK YOU so much for this, I really appreciate it! I am going to actually bookmark this and keep it on hand when my splints return... Wait, not when - that would imply that they will, lol.... IF they come back Happy New Year!

Comment

Originally posted by sonialanc View Post
              Get your feet checked by a podiatrist. They can be caused by foot problems. I see many people with them who get relief once their feet are properly aligned

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
              I really should do this because over the holiday I suffered from an INTENSE stress fracture in my foot! Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X