Lunge variations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunge variations

i love lunges. i do heavy lunges at the gym with a pair of 21-24kg dumbbells so i need to work out some more challenging body weight variations i can do at home. what are your favourite lunge variations, body weight or weighted ?

I was looking for a good, all-around leg exercise, and lunges are it! I'm going to start using dumbbells soon, but 21kg (roughly 45 pounds) is a bit much for me. I like the cardio of lunges and I'm up to about 25 per leg. As a variation, I hold the lunge (or down) position of the lunge for a second or 2. That really gets the burn and heart rate going for me.

Comment

Rear foot elevated split squats (AKA Bulgarian Split Squats) are my favorite single leg exercise.
      My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

i've tried bulgarian squats before and they are doable but relatively hard. i also remembered i do body weight lunges on the beach where you reach over and touch your front toe with your opposite hand. then when you've done 20 or so, you do a sumo squat and crab walk 10 forward and 10 back.

Comment

put on a 40 pound weight vest and do them! it's tough! or do lunges with 40 pound weight vest and holding something some what heavy above your head. or put some waterbottles or books or something in a back pack and do them.

Comment

at home i have a set of 10kg dumbbells, a set of 6kgs, some 5kgs and some 3kgs, 2s, 1s and 500gs. plus 6kg and 4 kg clubbells. i cant afford a weighted vest but then 40lbs is only like 18kgs? and i do have a diving belt. it isnt anywhere near 18kgs or i would sink forever to the bottom of the sea but i could poss combine it with some dumbbells.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
              i love lunges.
              Has anyone told you that you are a sick woman! lol.....

Comment

Has anyone told you that you are a sick woman! lol.....
                strangely enuf. NO!!! lol lunges are easy which is why i love them. everyone jumps up and down and raves about how cool i can do such big weights and i sorta wonder what is wrong with them if they cant. it is really only my arms and grip that give out holding 48kgs of dumbbells for 20 lunges. everyone is looking so i cant be doing it wrong. and other stuff i dont find that easy, as in i have to work my ass off to deadlift even 70kgs. so yeah. have to have a party trick.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                  strangely enuf. NO!!! lol lunges are easy which is why i love them. everyone jumps up and down and raves about how cool i can do such big weights and i sorta wonder what is wrong with them if they cant. it is really only my arms and grip that give out holding 48kgs of dumbbells for 20 lunges. everyone is looking so i cant be doing it wrong. and other stuff i dont find that easy, as in i have to work my ass off to deadlift even 70kgs. so yeah. have to have a party trick.
                  lunges kick my a$$....... and you enjoy them, you sick puppy you!

Comment

i think we have discussed love of pain before lol i did some today with a pair of 10kg dumbbells as they were the heaviest weights i had and did the touching the opposite front toe with the dumbbell. that was on a par with the 24kgs dumbbells and normal lunges. curtsey lunges are good fun too. i have found the trick with lunges in general is, as with riding a motorcycle, look where you want to go. also keep your core engaged. both these help with balance i reckon. then the rest is just keeping hold of the weight for the time duration.

Comment

I also love lunges! Have you tried jump lunges? Check out the video:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

I also love lunges! Have you tried jump lunges?
                        no! they look good. i've been working a bit on jumps as i need to teach myself to vault a gate. i will give them a go later.

Comment

They're killers! They used to be called kneeling gun drills in the army, and were banned in the mid 90's because they were allegedly bad for your knees.

I once had to do them for 20 mins as a punishment for swearing at a briefing. U couldn't walk afterwards and felt the pain for days. Good times

Don't you have all of these in your mark lauren book? He uses them all in the smart phone apps yayog.

Side and back lunges hurt in very different ways to front lunges.

Just started another 10 week block of yayog this week and it was a leg session last night
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

i've got BBY not YAYOG. He doesnt do lunges in there at all. i prob should just get YAYOG as it isnt expensive and check it out.

Comment

Can watch Al K exercise all day. Sorry I'm sure that's not useful. Still true...
                              Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

Working...
                              X