No announcement yet.

5/3/1 Big But Boring - what the government doesn't want you to know

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just finished my first cycle of 5/3/1 and am a little iffy about the next wave. Do I add the 2.5 and 5kg increases to every set from the first three weeks, or my calculated training maxes for the big lifts?

Eg:

Cycle 1, Week 1.
    BP: 70 x 5, 75 x 5, 80 x 8.

Cycle 2, Week 1.
    BP: 72.5 x 5, 77.5 x 5, 82.5 x ?+

Is that right?
    Last edited by MrLabaLaba; 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

You add the extra weight to the training maxes, not to each individual set.

Comment

So if 94.5kg was 90% of my 1RM for first cycle, my new training max is 97kg and I go from that?

Comment

It's like $20 to download the guide just do it .

From London England UK

Comment

Originally posted by colobb View Post
            To say you hate a well thought out training plan is just plain stupid when most people who work out have no plan, no idea of where there strength is, and no real goals. God forbid someone go into the gym and hit prescribed numbers in a progressive fasion...
            So no other programs work. Only 5/3/1. Westside Barbell training didn't work, and neither did Metal Militia, because neither one of them prescribe specific numbers for every workout.

You also HAVE to workout 4 times per week, otherwise you won't make gains. I mean, you could workout twice per week, but your gains won't be as good as 4, even though Metal Militia athletes only workout twice per week and so did Arthur Saxon.

As for the workout styles Brooks Kubik talked about where you might get to the point where you're only adding 5 lbs per month, none of them ever worked either. Only 5/3/1.

PS.
            What is Jim Wendler doing with crossfit? Prescribing 5/3/1 to old ladies?

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped View Post
              So no other programs work. Only 5/3/1. Westside Barbell training didn't work, and neither did Metal Militia, because neither one of them prescribe specific numbers for every workout.

You also HAVE to workout 4 times per week, otherwise you won't make gains. I mean, you could workout twice per week, but your gains won't be as good as 4, even though Metal Militia athletes only workout twice per week and so did Arthur Saxon.

As for the workout styles Brooks Kubik talked about where you might get to the point where you're only adding 5 lbs per month, none of them ever worked either. Only 5/3/1.

PS.
              What is Jim Wendler doing with crossfit? Prescribing 5/3/1 to old ladies?
              You apparently have little programming/training knowledge, and have not read the 531 book(s). There are multiple templates to do the program from 2 to 4 days per week, templates for bodybuilders, powerlifters, CrossFit, weekend warriors, ect.

531 is not the pinnacle of training programs, other systems work too (as I mentioned in my earlier post). Personally I prefer Russian/Bulgarian style programming for pure strength athletes, but I can also appreciate 531 without hating on someone who is making money giving out solid information to strength athletes and the general public.

Some, if not most people need actual numbers to hit when they go to the gym. A very small percentage of people have a concept of their strength or how to progress. It's not like I have been a personal trainer and then a strength coach for the past 7 years, and have seen all of this firsthand....

But whatever man, you seem to have a personal vendetta against a guy who put out a simple strength program that a huge population can follow with success.... and makes a little money off of it... keep on hating...lol

Comment

Originally posted by colobb View Post
                You apparently have little programming/training knowledge, and have not read the 531 book(s).
                I benched 410 lbs in a upa meet because I had training from some of the best bench pressers on the planet from the Metal Militia team. I benched 495 lbs in training.

But I guess you're right. I need to read 5/3/1. I'm buying it right now.
                LOL!!!

Comment

is Bench press 5/3/1 just mean 3 sets (5 reps, then 3 reps, then 1 rep)
                  ie: Going VERY heavy with low reps?

Comment

I benched 410 lbs in a upa meet because I had training from some of the best bench pressers on the planet from the Metal Militia team. I benched 495 lbs in training.

LOL!!!
                    good for you. You are obviously bias, so a conversation with someone who can't objectively veiw other types of programming is worthless.

Carry on with the 531 conversation, sorry I detracted from it.

Comment

LOL!!!
                      Aren't you just fantastic?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghshl View Post
                        Aren't you just fantastic?
                        Nah, I don't think anyone cares.
                        LOL!

BUT, it is a nice feeling when you've done something you never thought you could do.

Comment

Working...
                        X