Moving TOO slow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving TOO slow?

For my "move frequently at a slow pace" activity I usually walk 2 to 3 miles at a 24 min per mile pace. I do this 3x per week. Do you think this is too slow or too short of a walk?

Originally posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    For my "move frequently at a slow pace" activity I usually walk 2 to 3 miles at a 24 min per mile pace. I do this 3x per week. Do you think this is too slow or too short of a walk?
    Of course not.
    You will gain pace, time and distance, if you want to.
    9 miles a week is a lot more than I'm doing at the moment.
    Well done.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Comment

If you want to be a marathon runner, yes, too slow, too short.
      What DO you want?
      “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
      Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
        If you want to be a marathon runner, yes, too slow, too short.
        What DO you want?
        To lose body fat.

Comment

Originally posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
          To lose body fat.
          You're heading in the right direction!
          How much do you want to lose?
          How old?
          Male?
          Give some stats and I'm sure people will be able to guide you.
          FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Comment

All depends on your fitness level. Consider a heart rate monitor to gauge your effort.

For fat loss I would say what your doing is excellent though! The heart rate monitor thing is just if your looking to somehow make it more efficient or gauge your aerobic improvement. I think seeing your aerobic capacity improve is another data point that could help keep you motivated.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-16-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Walking at a slow pace for me makes me work harder. This is due to not using the arm swing for momentum. Also, walking up hills at a slow pace will give you a great workout! I have seen some studies saying to try and walk 10k steps a day but I don't reach that number everyday. Good luck!!!

Comment

I think seeing your aerobic capacity improve is another data point that could help keep you motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol blackcat View Post
                  You're heading in the right direction!
                  How much do you want to lose?
                  How old?
                  Male?
                  Give some stats and I'm sure people will be able to guide you.
                  M late 30s
                  215 lbs.
                  6' 1"

I think about 20 lbs or so. According to BMI tables I should be under 195.

Comment

all of you are going about this the wrong way IMHO (no offense meant)
                    the question is: do you enjoy it?

walking is not exercise, and getting into the "do I do it correctly? I need a monitor and need to compare 243547280 data points against cumulated averages taking into account the moon cycles" mentality just spoils the whole fun of doing something thouroughly enjoyable: walking!

so quit thinking it over too much, just enjoy what you do!

Comment

Usually I do enjoy my walks, or enjoy how I feel after them, though today it was pushing 90°F and very humid so maybe a little less…

Whether it counts as exercise or not it's part of Mark's program.

Comment

Regardless of pace, if it feels vigorous, it is vigorous. Forget numbers and go with what feels good to you.

Comment

The guideline is to get your heart rate to between 55% and 75% of your theoretical maximum (220-age). You should feel a little breathy but be able to talk
                          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I think that's a good pace for a beginner.

Comment

Just keep walking. Walking fixes everything. If you start to get a little bored of it, try walking for transportation. Walk to the grocery store for some odds and ends. Put your laundry in a big backpack and walk to the laundromat. Walk to the post office to buy some stamps. Years ago I lost 35lbs doing this. I also got really fast after a while.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X