Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question.......

Or maybe not,

How do you know if you are a 'fat burning beast' as mark puts it or if you are still functioing on carbs and still adjusting?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

no silly question, just silly answers

My take on this: there is no such thing as "fat burning beast", we are all sugar and fat burners. If you are morbidly obese, OK, you are not efficient at burning fat. But otherwise, you always do it (at rest, when you sleep, etc). Sugar (or glucose) burning is when you do anaerobic workouts, where brief but intense muscle activity takes place. When your insulin is at fasting levels, free fatty acids are released from fat cells. Your muscles may use them (not necessarily but they are available). As soon as your insulin level goes up, past a certain level free fatty acids go back to fat cells (storage mode). If you burn some energy at that stage, chances are you will burn glucose rather than fat but it is not clear cut.

Comment

Thankyou for your reply. Didnt think of it like that. And I've read the books

Comment

I noticed a change when I was able to go a long duration and still perform at a high level: work, weight lifting, walking, basically anything without eating. When I was a pure "sugar burner" I required something every three hours or I'd get dizzy and the shakes. In my early 20's I had a doctor inform me of my hypoglycemia. What a joke.

Comment

This has been asked frequently. So here is the posts on it:

What Does it Mean to Be Fat-Adapted? | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Become Fat-Adapted and Other Questions Answered | Mark's Daily Apple

And here is a testimonial on it:

What Does It Mean to Be a Fat-Burning Beast? | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Good reading. Im now late for work

Comment

Working...
            X