Dumb Question regarding the Dead lift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandstone View Post
    how about trap bar DL's? Aren't they meant to be among the safest variety.
    Trap bar dl is more of a squat than a true dl.

Doing dls properly is safe, so not sure what you are really asking in terms of safety

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post

That doesn't justify abandoning the movements that have produced all the strong people in the history of ever just because they're hard. .
      How long? The history of ever.

I've never seen a photo of any old time strong man doing a back squat. They lifted heavy things from the floor to overhead any way they could and they were far superior athletes than modern power lifters.

Don't confuse a number on a disc with being strong.

Comment

Possibly longer. But we won't know for sure until we figure out how to travel faster than the speed of light.

I've never seen a photo of any old time strong man doing a back squat.
        Schwarzenegger did them. He's old. Therefore, you're wrong.

Steinborn was doing his goofy-ass version of back squats in the 1950's.

Imagine how many anvils and chubby ladies those guys could have hoisted overhead if squat racks had been invented. They could have been as strong as Doug Young. Well, maybe that requires chemistry that didn't exist as well...

They lifted heavy things from the floor to overhead any way they could and they were far superior athletes than modern power lifters.
        Yeah, they were superior in a way because they pressed and most modern power lifters don't. That's a corollary to my original point.

But this is kind of like saying A-Rod is better than Babe Ruth. Apples and onions, my friend.

Also, your point about people lifting things overhead any way they could being better athletes isn't relevant to the question of who's stronger. Who can clean and jerk a heavier weight, somebody whose max deadlift is 200 lbs or 500?

Sure, the olympic lifts are more athletic in nature than the powerlifts. But, like almost any athletic endeavor, being stronger makes you better at them. You know, like the Russians. The ones who repeatedly humiliate us on the international stage. Are they consistently better athletes than our lifters? Or are they just stronger?

Wait, are you saying that force production isn't a proper metric of strength? Because that's actually the definition of strength.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I've never seen a photo of any old time strong man doing a back squat. They lifted heavy things from the floor to overhead any way they could and they were far superior athletes than modern power lifters.

The barbell is historically a newbie compared to other strength equipment and the back-squat is basically a post world war 2 invention same as bench press...The old strongmans in the beginning of the 20 century, like Warren Lincoln Travis trained a bit different:

1. Take a 100 pound barbell from the floor with both hands, and press it overhead 10 times while seated (must be done in 30 seconds)
          2. Take a pair of 90 pound dumbbells from the side of the body to the shoulders, and press it to arms length overhead.
          3. Teeth lift from the floor, hands behind neck, 350 pounds.
          4. Finger Lift from the floor 350 pounds with one finger, eight times in five seconds.
          5. Finger lift from the floor 560 pounds with one finger once.
          6. Two hand grip lift, straddling the weight, 700 pounds twenty times in ten seconds.
          7. Hand and Thigh Lift 1600 pounds once.
          8. Back Lift 3660 pounds once.
          9. Harness Lift 3580 pounds once.
          10. Back Lift 2000 pounds, 250 times in seven minutes.

And don't confuse the back lift with the back squat LOL:

Warren Lincoln Travis and the Back Lift | USAWA

Warren Lincoln Travis with his 2150 pound dumbbell:

Last edited by Gorbag; 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM.
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
            Well... if you batter your thumbs in to oblivion, you won't be able to hitchhike
            You don't need a thumb to hitchhike. Especially if you are an old man. You need a sign, obviously printed from a computer, with a one-word destination on it. The computer printed sign says "I have money, I am computer literate" and the destination lets passersby know where you want to go so they can decide if they want to sit in a car with a strange old computer literate graybeard for that long a time.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              You don't need a thumb to hitchhike. Especially if you are an old man. You need a sign, obviously printed from a computer, with a one-word destination on it. The computer printed sign says "I have money, I am computer literate" and the destination lets passersby know where you want to go so they can decide if they want to sit in a car with a strange old computer literate graybeard for that long a time.
              you've given this far too much thought

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                you've given this far too much thought
                I actually was explained this in painful detail from a man who used this method and swore by it. Being female, all I had to do was smile and I could get a ride.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I actually was explained this in painful detail from a man who used this method and swore by it. Being female, all I had to do was smile and I could get a ride.
                  I believe hiking up your skirt to show a few inches of leg is the accepted convention for the ladies.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    I believe hiking up your skirt to show a few inches of leg is the accepted convention for the ladies.
                    ... If you want to be picked up by a rapist.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                      ... If you want to be picked up by a rapist.
                      Hey some fellas can just enjoy the view without going all Bobby Brown on em...

Comment

I can't imagine anyone swearing by a hitchhiking method. in this day. not me. not unless I was carrying concealed. and open.

Comment

Working...
                        X