Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martial Arts/Self-Defense DIY Sources/Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts/Self-Defense DIY Sources/Advice?

I am taking a hap ki do class once a week, and love it. I can try to repeat what was done in the class on my own during the rest of the week. Sort of. Or just box & kick against the boxing bag (love it). But the self defense portion, it absolutely scrambles my brain.

I was wondering if someone can recommend a book or a website source that will have simple stuff I can do on my own to keep from forgetting from one week to next WTF we did.

Or should I sign up for additional Aikido lessons? Will Aikido make it more, uhm, comprehensive where to turn what and be complimentary or will it only mess up my brain even further?

Or is it better to stick to the same teacher/style and try for 2 classes of Hkd a week?

And, for a final idiotic question - one of my wrists is very weak (capral t), and all those grabs and twists really hurt. Should I even bother with worrying about trying to get SD, and just suffer these 15 min session?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

If you're serious about learning self-defense, you should find a gym/instructor whose style fits your needs. I'm not familiar with hapkido, but I took martial arts classes for a while. It wasn't one of the traditional schools--my instructor made up his own by mixing different schools. Most of the focus was on self-defense; less focus on the sporting aspect. I loved it. But you're right. You're liable to forget things, and that's why repetition and long-term training is important. I don't think going once a week is enough. I think I made the most progress when I went three times a week. When things got busy at school and I only managed twice a week, my progress slowed.

My journal

Comment

Thank you, that helps. I feel that the instructor is good. But I might look into another MA school in my neighborhood to see if they offer better # of classes a week and at a better time. The aikido (that will add 2x a week to my 1x a week hkd) is available through my rec centre is at 7-8:30 pm on weekdays, and I usually get up at 4 am. While I can give it a shot in the summer, I won't be able to keep it up come fall

How is MA usually organized? I wish it was more like yoga studio with kindda drop in when you want if you paid join in fee.

Comment

See if you can find any Western Martial Arts groups in your area that study ringen or dagger. That was my hand-to-hand gateway to self defense.

Remember the elbow as a good target, should anyone ever accost you. Note the way it wants to bend and help theirs bend the other way.

Running is a good tactic. I can't do that, so I try my best to harden up.

Shoot me a PM, I have some literature I can share with you for idle reading.

M.

Comment

Sounds good, thank you! I don't really expect to get into any street fights, but I like the idea of improving my balance and coordination & sparring against another human being, it is really something different. It would be great to be able to practice on my own so I am a bit more receptive in the class!

In my neighborhood we have hap ki do, aikido (rec centre) and taekwando (separate studio, 99$ month intro for up to 3x a week).

I think I will try the Aikido for the month of August to see if I like that or hap ki do more. Three classes a week sounds a bit intimidating, but I think I can manage for 4 weeks.
          Last edited by Leida; 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Aikido is quite nice. And yeah, in spite of being a "fight student guy", I never want to get into any kind of struggle. I'm not some kind of bravo. I would -much- rather convince the guy to go home and rethink his life. Haircut, suit, tie, girlfriend. That kind of thing. However, I can't run for crap, so I try and harden up best I can. There isn't anything in my wallet to take, no promises he'll buy that excuse. I knew someone who got beat the piss out of -after- he handed over his wallet. Rather not be that guy.

M.

Comment

Look for a school that does sparring. What you "learn" is useless without trying to apply it against a thinking, non-compliant opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                Look for a school that does sparring. What you "learn" is useless without trying to apply it against a thinking, non-compliant opponent.
                Shhhh. They like their flowery dance forms. They like their punches in the air in front of a mirror with their hands at their sides. Let them have it. Some day, they'll realize what you're saying and they'll show up at a Thai boxing place or a Judo club or Jiu Jitsu academy. Until then, let it go.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Sir please take one half step to the left and reach like you wanna grab my wrist.... but like not too fast.... haha! Gotcha! Now I shall unleash my 5 palm death strike combo!

That was me suggesting that you find something practical. I agree with RM and weldinghawk. Learning technique is excellent (as long as it translates to real situations). But, unless you just want this to be a way to get a bit more exercise you gotta spar. At the very least you have to find someone that will give you 50% resistance.
                  Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-16-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but is there a difference between sparring and practicing with a partner? That's what we do in hap ki do, but it is only 1x a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakti
                      In all seriousness I agree to the utmost degree that practicality is key, as well is sparring an absolute must. Though, in my honest opinion sparring has it's drawbacks/limitations as well in many ways; mainly not being able to apply much pressure to the most vital target points on the body. If one does not acknowledge/respect this they don't acknowledge/respect when one has "right-away", as such they would continue turning it into a more sport related practice, as to where one could have elimanated them as a threat. thus one would literallyhave to really hurt their training partner or completly shut down the nervouse system. In order to "prove a point". meh!
                      This argument is sort of like the argument that domesticated cattle aren't truly paleo. In a strict sense, you're right, but it's by far the closest thing we have access to.

Your video, by great contrast, is the equivalent of Kraft Macaroni & "cheese" in a box.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                        Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but is there a difference between sparring and practicing with a partner? That's what we do in hap ki do, but it is only 1x a week.
                        Technique drilling is crucial. You really do have to nail the techniques before you can utilize them for real. So its not really one or the other. I use to practice takedown drills on the something like this Grappling Dummy: Training Equipment | eBay. But once you have drilled it thousands of times you have use these techniques in a situation where someone is attempting to stop you. Then you learn how to counter, and counter counters, and so on. The techniques get melded and you come out with your very own "style" even if you and 100 different people learn the same techniques you can still end up with 100 different applications and styles.

Anyhow yes. Sparring is a what you might call a match. A fight with gloves or rules to make sure nobody gets seriously injured, as its still practice. You can create all kinds of situations from wich the "fight" commences. Like "person A has person B in a standing headlock...." GO and you both commence doing your darnest with all the techniques you have learned to win from there. So you utilize all your headlock escape moves while they use all their takedown and choke work just for instance. Thats a bit different than a drill where the opposite person is just a body and does not resist or hinder you in any way.
                        Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-16-2013, 05:52 PM.

Comment

RichMahogany- I'm not sure if it's me not understanding you, or you not understanding me. maybe both?
                          I'm guessing the former.

I'm not argueing that sparing isn't the closest thing. Just stating theirs "flaws" one should be mindful of. Also when one spars theirs generally a mutually agreement. Both participants come prepared and are not caught off guard, like might happen elswhere. Thus the "fight-or-flight" aspect is often blunted. I just think theirs more one can do then just spar, though more time spent sparring the better.
                          You ever step in a cage with a guy who's dead set on knocking you out or breaking your arm? I guarantee the "fight or flight" response happens.

Enlighten me as to what works better than live training/sparring for preparing a person for a real fight. A dude playing patty-cake with a telephone pole?

I'm not so sure I understand you Kraft & cheese line. I would appreciate it if you tried to phrase it differently for the sake maybe I can come to a better understanding.
                          It was an analogy. Like on the SAT. Your video:a real fight what Kraft Mac & cheese:a true primal diet, whereas live training/sparring:a true primal diet what grass-fed beef:a true primal diet. Someone can maybe help more here, but I find this pretty clear...

Most when they think of wing-chun they think of what bruce-lee had to say about it. It being to structured and so on. Most all that I have sparred with that have a "free" attitude with in "all-goes" were crap. Misinterpreted it, lost focus on what matters most; gets the job done most effectivly/effeciently/simply. just been my experience as of yet...
                          I don't know much about Bruce Lee, certainly nothing about his feelings about Wing Chun. How does fancy dancing and tappy toe touching a log "most effectively/efficiently/simply" relate to actually defending oneself in an actual confrontation?
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'm not argueing that sparing isn't the closest thing. Just stating theirs "flaws" one should be mindful of. Also when one spars theirs generally a mutually agreement. Both participants come prepared and are not caught off guard, like might happen elswhere. Thus the "fight-or-flight" aspect is often blunted. I just think theirs more one can do then just spar, though more time spent sparring the better
                            I don't like being a grammar Nazi, but... It's "there's", as in "there is". "Theirs" means belonging to them.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                              I don't like being a grammar Nazi, but... It's "there's", as in "there is". "Theirs" means belonging to them.
                              Translation: your homophone-fu is weak.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X