Plantar fasciitis and weightlifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plantar fasciitis and weightlifting

I squat and deadlift heavy, and for the past few months have been experiencing plantar fasciitis in my left foot recurringly (noticeably after I took up front squats, cleans, and push presses regularly, since I haven't made gains on my lift much). I have flat feet (used to run in cushioned shoes) and after 1.5 years of heavy lifting am still flat-footed. Does anybody have any tips on how I should go about healing my inflamed tendon, and strengthen the area at the same time? I would like to continue to lift heavy in the future.

Thanks in advance!
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

I've had success working the trigger points in my calves to help PF.

Check the video here:

Plantar Fasciitis: Heel Pain | Foot Pain | Running Injury
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Esther Gokhale's book has a bit in there about proper foot position that really helped my wife out with her arches. Something about kidney-bean shaped feet, but I don't remember the details.

Comment

Calf raises with the weighted barbel on your back, same position as you would for back squats.

Comment

Originally posted by Huarache Gal View Post
          I've had success working the trigger points in my calves to help PF.

Check the video here:

Plantar Fasciitis: Heel Pain | Foot Pain | Running Injury
          Wow! I am definitely going to do this. I am glad I read this now versus before using the orthotics I just bought over the long-term. Thanks!

Originally posted by pace2race View Post
          Calf raises with the weighted barbel on your back, same position as you would for back squats.
          Will do.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
            Esther Gokhale's book has a bit in there about proper foot position that really helped my wife out with her arches. Something about kidney-bean shaped feet, but I don't remember the details.
            Buying a book? :O Travesty!

Comment

Try doing squats and deadlifts with flat soled shoes such as Chuck Taylor's. If you buy high tops, leave the top part unlaced. I have flat feet and they help out.
              Last edited by Paleo0731; 07-09-2013, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I had something similar that I got because of my running. I found foot taping to be very helpful because it helps you with the pain and keeps the foot from further injury. If you need some more information about taping you can go to: Plantar Fasciitis Taping

Comment

get a tennis ball and put it under the sole of your foot and roll it back and forth. You can also put a thin towel on the floor and curl your toes to pick up the towel. Do a set of 3x12 3 times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
                    get a tennis ball and put it under the sole of your foot and roll it back and forth. You can also put a thin towel on the floor and curl your toes to pick up the towel. Do a set of 3x12 3 times a day.
                    I had a pretty painful few years with plantar faciitis, orthotics didn't help, the above mentioned exercises relieved the pain temporarily. I finally just started spending more time barefoot and started buying less stylish work shoes in favor of shoes with wider, less pointed, toe boxes. I have no issue today and I run more than I ever did and I lift barefoot (or socks at the gym). In effect I was unknowingly moving towards minimalist shoes! Let your feet move as nature intended.

Comment

I own a lacrosse ball and after rolling a few times, it ended up being more painful because I'm forcing the stretch even more. I think it might just be an over-stretching and over-straining thing caused by calf muscle weakness.

Comment

Tennis ball stretches are only good for temporary relief but actually cause the issue to worsen. Plantar Fasciitis is a result of the Plantar becoming over stretched, it's supposed to be tight. Any calf exercise that helps increase the blood flow to your feet in the short term and increase circulation in the long term will help to heal the injury. Blood repairs all damaged soft tissue through the oxygen and nutrients within it. If you are having a flare up then what you want is a cold wrap for the temp pain relief rather than stretching which worsens it. If you really want to speed up the recovery get a blood flow stimulator, one that uses a gentle approach, this is the one I used:

Plantar Fasciitis Treatment by King Brand

Comment

I myself came down with PF some months ago. Before that I didn't know what it was, had heard the name but didn't think I would ever get it. Then one morning the bottom of my foot hurt.
                          I do weights too which tend to build up a lot of tension in my feet. I remember a few days before the PF happened that I got severe cramping in the bottom of my foot and I just sat back and felt the pain and didn't try to stretch the bottom of the foot out against the cramp. Then I got the Plantar Fasciitis. I scoured youtube for answers. Here's what works for me:

And notice I said works--I don't think you ever get over PF once you have it. It may go away but always comes back. I stretch out my foot pulling the toes back with one hand and pushing down on the heel with the other. Then I take the hand I'm using to press down and massage the bottom affected part lengthwise. Relax, and repeat over and over. Then I massage crosswise. That tissue on the bottom feels grainy and bumpy. I also use a heavy duty electric massage in which I use vibration on the bottom tissue while stretching it.

The cause of it? I don't know and I had a very hard time finding out why. It's just a part of the body that is breaking down and degenerating. I know you don't want to hear that but there it is.

good luck with that,

George
                          Fellow PF sufferer

Comment

Working...
                          X