The No-Nonsense Way to Build Strength

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vick View Post
    If I was allowed only one resistance exercise it would be the Turkish Get up. I think that one covers it all.
    lol.... how could I forget that.... we just talked about it!

Comment

So he determines that because the ACSM has failed to sufficiently support a bunch of their claims (a point on which I'd agree wholeheartedly), that the right course of action is to do what's easy and fun as opposed to taking clues about what's effective from all strong people ever?
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

If I was allowed only one resistance exercise it would be the Turkish Get up. I think that one covers it all.
        Heresy!!!!! Barbell squat is king. Find me a guy who got as strong as Doug Young or Konstantin Konstantinovs by Turkish getting up.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          Heresy!!!!! Barbell squat is king. Find me a guy who got as strong as Doug Young or Konstantin Konstantinovs by Turkish getting up.
          On pure strength you are probably correct. However, most injuries occur due to muscle imbalances. Properly done, the TGU is probably the best exercise for restoring muscle balance, mechanics and strength.

Comment

On pure strength you are probably correct. However, most injuries occur due to muscle imbalances. Properly done, the TGU is probably the best exercise for restoring muscle balance, mechanics and strength.
            I actually like the TGU, but this is a load of unmitigated B.S. The squat outdoes the TGU on every count, and muscle imbalances is a nebulously defined buzzword used to justify the expense of largely useless physical therapy and/or bad personal training.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Actually, I believe and practice all of those things - and also get lazy and sometimes go weeks without a workout. And I look okay. This clearly isn't for people who want to compete, it's for general health and body comp with reasonable strangth for living, and it's good.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                Actually, I believe and practice all of those things - and also get lazy and sometimes go weeks without a workout. And I look okay. This clearly isn't for people who want to compete, it's for general health and body comp with reasonable strangth for living, and it's good.
                As usual, I agree with Knifegill. Nobody's arguing about whether this type of protocol is far superior to skipping strength training entirely, just whether it's the optimal way for a novice lifter to program strength training.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  Only if your doing a clean and press

Really I'm trying to think of any other single exercise that does hit everything??? Anyone got another one? Deadlift leaves out the tris and shoulders and chest. Chins and dips leave out the legs. Squats are good, but not gonna count that for chest shoulder or arms. Is the clean and press the only one?
                  Well, okay, how about if my body part is MOST of the whole body and then I just fill in the parts missing with other MOST of the body exercises?
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

If you enjoy complex, time-consuming muscle building routines, this piece is not for you.
                    Exactly! Let me get out of this thread then, thanks for warning me...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Well, okay, how about if my body part is MOST of the whole body and then I just fill in the parts missing with other MOST of the body exercises?
                      Sounds like what I do so it must be the best way

Comment

Working...
                      X