Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to start lifting weights...1st step: find a coach/trainer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Thanks…so far so good! It feels amazing immediately afterwards but then the day after I was feeling super sore. In fact I was worried I wouldn't feel up to doing today's session but after the warm up it was fine.
    The delayed soreness gets better over the course of a few weeks in my experience. Your body gets more used to the new stresses.

Comment

Just to post an update: I've kept up with doing SS so far and I am enjoying it. I keep going back to videos, reading the book, and getting form checked on the SS forum. So far so good. The weight starts out light with SS so there is time to correct technique.

It's true some lifts are technically trickier than they looked so I just try to improve a little each time and fix problems little by little. My number one goal is avoiding injury.

My gym has tried to convince me to do their CF on-ramp (big bucks) but after seeing some of the bad form that gets by there (even I the total newb can notice it after reading Mark's book) I think I'll pass.

I would consider a coaching session with a certified SS coach by otherwise I'm not impressed with trainers.

Comment

Just to post an update: I've kept up with doing SS so far and I am enjoying it. I keep going back to videos, reading the book, and getting form checked on the SS forum. So far so good. The weight starts out light with SS so there is time to correct technique.

It's true some lifts are technically trickier than they looked so I just try to improve a little each time and fix problems little by little. My number one goal is avoiding injury.

My gym has tried to convince me to do their CF on-ramp (big bucks) but after seeing some of the bad form that gets by there (even I the total newb can notice it after reading Mark's book) I think I'll pass.

I would consider a coaching session with a certified SS coach by otherwise I'm not impressed with trainers.
        Right on!!!

What's your username of SS Forums? I'd like to check out your videos.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

It sounds like you're doing just fine. Keep working on form and adding weight to the bar!
          In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

I received some hands on and theory training in general fitness, and later got a PT (a few years into lifting). Money well spent, both. But i had to refuse a trainer the center assigned to me first. Now I look with envy at folks who train together, I think they are prepping for competitions. Their buddy system is very nice.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

So maybe I want to revise my previous statement a bit as I got to a point where squats are quite difficult now and I think it's because I've increased weight too fast without nailing the form down...I was speaking to one of the trainers at my gym and he suggested dropping down to an easier weight and increasing reps and frequency of sets (instead of doing 3x5). It makes sense to me. Wouldn't this help me build up muscle memory for the proper feel of the movement? I wonder if doing the SS program without a coach sets you up for injury if you're not careful. (Because of the emphasis on increasing weight by 5 to 10 lbs each squat workout).

Comment

I think I mentioned Pavels Power To The People protocol before. You could modify that, one major exercise per day and one secondary one, so dead lift and a press, or squats and weighted chins etc. 2 sets of 5 for main lifts.

Start light ish and lift 4-5 times a week. The volume is there but spread over more sessions.

Add weight to main lifts every session if you can. After 10 sessions, start again a little up from original start point, for 10 more sessions. So it's a cyclical linear progression.

Cool thing is, it adds poundage, but then a lot of the time is spent lifting lower poundage as you cycle back up.

Plus points - short sessions
                Plenty of relatively low intensity 'practice'
                You get very strong
                Less chance of overtraining

Negatives - none I can think of. The PTTP program only focussed on dead lifts and a press, but adding chin-ups, squat, perhaps hanging knee raises would work well

Comment

You could always reduce the added weight on SS to suit you, or just start with the bar a la Stronglifts

Comment

So maybe I want to revise my previous statement a bit as I got to a point where squats are quite difficult now and I think it's because I've increased weight too fast without nailing the form down...I was speaking to one of the trainers at my gym and he suggested dropping down to an easier weight and increasing reps and frequency of sets (instead of doing 3x5). It makes sense to me. Wouldn't this help me build up muscle memory for the proper feel of the movement? I wonder if doing the SS program without a coach sets you up for injury if you're not careful. (Because of the emphasis on increasing weight by 5 to 10 lbs each squat workout).
                    Are you afraid of success, man? Video tape your next work sets and post them in the SS Coach's forum. The "frequency" you need for nailing the form down is called your warm-up sets. Don't make excuses to deload. DON'T MAKE EXCUSES TO DELOAD.

1. Correct your form (post videos)
                    2. Use warm-up sets to "practice" correct form
                    3. CONTINUE making progress
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

No, but I did reduce the weight and start working the weight up again and I think it really helped me...OK so I lost some time but so what, I'm no longer in pain. I should hit 200 tomorrow. I know that's not a lot, but it would have been unimaginable to me a month ago.

I think I probably started with a weight too high at the start, so at +10lbs per workout I quickly got into a situation where bar weight was too much for where I was form/coordination-wise.

Comment

Working...
                      X