Another Gem from Rippetoe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Gem from Rippetoe

On T-Nation. Since we love to debate this stuff.

T NATION | Rippetoe Goes Off
    The Champagne of Beards

Just the usual Rippetoe hogwash; - Just shut up you silly physical therapists, you are all fraudulent since you are using inferior isolation exercises for rehabilitation of injuries! What your patients really need is to get under the barbell and squat 600 pound, that will cure everything, LOL…
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
      Just the usual Rippetoe hogwash; - Just shut up you silly physical therapists, you are all fraudulent since you are using inferior isolation exercises for rehabilitation of injuries! What your patients really need is to get under the barbell and squat 600 pound, that will cure everything, LOL…
      Gee, Gorbag. It's almost like Rip knows you.

Originally posted by Mark Rippetoe
      What the hell is wrong with everybody? Has the internet, by enabling everyone to have a voice, rendered everyone with an ear suddenly stupid?
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

leave gorbag alone. i feel badly for a person who he hates rip so much, yet takes the time to read the article and comment on it. gorbag needs a hug and a friend. he just wants to be loved.

Comment

Good article.

PT advice for most people is similar to the typical dietary advice from the medical community.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Gee, Gorbag. It's almost like Rip knows you.
            We are making progress. Gorbag has now identified himself as the King of Trolls (his sig). We are now past the denial stage. Soon, healing might begin...

Comment

Hmm, seem like the usual rat pack of Rippetoe nut huggers has found their way to this thread! Well, RIP get talked about, and all publicity; good or bad, makes his bank account even bigger, so I am indeed doing RIP a favor by commenting his hyperbolic and rhetoric articles that he occasionally writes for square headed wannabe muscle heads, like the posters above…
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

if gorbag keeps up with his aggression and name calling, i will be reporting his posts, and i suggest you all do the same. disagreements are one thing, but they always lead to insults, aggression and name calling. personally, i don't think there is any place for that on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                  so I am indeed doing RIP a favor by commenting his hyperbolic and rhetoric articles
                  For which I'm sure he's grateful. You're too kind.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                    if gorbag keeps up with his aggression and name calling, i will be reporting his posts, and i suggest you all do the same. disagreements are one thing, but they always lead to insults, aggression and name calling. personally, i don't think there is any place for that on this forum.
                    It's pretty much a guarantee that if there's a strength-related thread with the words Starting Strength and/or Rippetoe, that Gorbag will drop in to troll, strawman, and mislead. He's probably the biggest source of misinformation on strength training on this forum. I don't know what it is, but he certainly has some kind of a personal vendetta against Rippetoe.

Like a moth to a flame...

Comment

It really is interesting to read and understand the two paradigms. In fact even though Body by Science is geared more toward machine movements he and many in the strength community tend to be in the same paradigm as Rippetoe is in this article. Stronger muscles = more stability and healthier movement.

This article is a complete contrast to what you will find in books like "Becoming a Supple Leopard", which I have not read, but I have looked at his site and can tell by who he's a follower of what sort of programming he might come up with (People like Gray Cook).

One says that performing the basic compound movements and training for "strength" in general will automatically fix any imbalances or dysfunctions by the course of becoming stronger. The other would break down these patterns into parts to find why the movement as a whole is dysfunctional, painful, or weak in general.

I tend to agree with the general movement and strength as a whole paradigm over the reductionist PT view. There are two instances where I think PT has value... Post surgical and acute injury. After full ROM without pain has been achieved its time to create strength IMO... and that's how I treat it in my office too. Although my focus is a bit different than a PT's is.
                      Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Well RIP surely has some issues with Physical Therapy strategies and I feel he is dead wrong about them or doesn't understand why PT is handled the way it is. Maybe he has had some bad PT experiences. As a heavy user of PT from neck, to low back, multiple MCL sprains, ankle sprains, both shoulders with issues I can tell you it works, and works well just the way it is. No way could there have been any heavy lifting with those injuries. Really, push a few hundred pounds around with the knee days after a Grade 2(bad one) MCL sprain? With a back or neck issue. With shoulder issues that made getting dressed and washing my hair painful? How many have been injured lifting as heavy as possible? I'm one for sure, stuff happens.

I see lot's of really strong people with lot's of nagging injuries, using braces or other support. I have no argument with getting stronger is better than staying weaker.

Comment

^ I actually don't think RIP is arguing against PT in most of those cases pyro. I think he's arguing against the "corrective care" strategies that many employ to "balance" someone who is perhaps dealing with subacute or chronic issues.

Nevermind he is talking at least in part and context of treating an injured segment also it seems.

Like in Gray Cook's book "Movement" and his functional training system there are various breakouts where you treat a part of a motion based on dysfunction rather than just training that entire motion with even more strict care to form. This is corrective treatment or prehab that is not due to a new injury. I believe that this is the sort of treatment from PT's that Rip is bagging on.
                          Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Here's an article Rip featured on startingstrength.com about the subject, written by an actual personal trainer (who's also a starting strength certified coach):

Starting Strength: Article
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

That was a bit easier to read then RIPs. I have to agree that Barbell training for general strength makes way more sense then using the PT exercises I've had over the years. OK, if that is what RIP is bagging on then I can see his point and pretty much agree.

I wonder how many injuries I'd really have or how many other problems I'd have if I hadn't been lifting since high school.

Comment

Working...
                              X