No announcement yet.

Another Gem from Rippetoe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno, I like having Gorbag around. He's kind of like the nutty uncle who keeps talking about chemtrails and how 9/11 was an inside job, etc., but then every once in a while drops some good life knowledge on fiscal responsibility or some funny story about avoiding hookers. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
      I dunno, I like having Gorbag around. He's kind of like the nutty uncle who keeps talking about chemtrails and how 9/11 was an inside job, etc., but then every once in a while drops some good life knowledge on fiscal responsibility or some funny story about avoiding hookers. Good times.
      I think he's more like the nutty uncle who just gets drunk and knocks over the buffet table and manages to offend everyone without actually contributing to the party.

Comment

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
          Yeah, but the clock usually has the courtesy to just keep its stupid mouth shut.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Yeah, but the clock usually has the courtesy to just keep its stupid mouth shut.
            Except in Gorbag's case, the cuckoo keeps coming out and annoying the shit out of everyone around.

Comment

Hehe, the usual bunch of fan boys accusing me, for “hating” their guru – which is not true either! But who is the real “TROLL” here – the proclaimed “strength guru” writing an article that shots blindly from his hip against everybody with a different view on strength training, including the complete group of physical therapist professionals, and somebody like me that respond modestly to some of the nonsense? Does Rippetoe even believe in what he is throwing out in his articles, or is he a “cynic” that knows his strength searching fan boys too well, including their limited intellectual capacity to separate out the prejudiced hogwash of his writings - that swallows his rhetorical baits completely with head and tail? Does RIP write whatever that that he thinks his followers want to hear, that fits their shallow muscle head prejudices? If so is the case, then he has something in common with certain political cynics…
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Much like the old "if a tree falls in the forest" adage...if a gorbag types on a forum, does anyone care?

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                  Much like the old "if a tree falls in the forest" adage...if a gorbag types on a forum, does anyone care?
                  Funny thing is, he types a lot, yet I have no idea what his argument even is. He's been blithering about Rippetoe/Starting Strength countless times, without making a single logical argument. Amazing trolling prowess.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                    Funny thing is, he types a lot, yet I have no idea what his argument even is. He's been blithering about Rippetoe/Starting Strength countless times, without making a single logical argument. Amazing trolling prowess.
                    That's the thing...he is so bent out of shape about hating rip and anyone who has anything good to say about him, that all he does is ramble on and sling insults at us.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                      That's the thing...he is so bent out of shape about hating rip and anyone who has anything good to say about him, that all he does is ramble on and sling insults at us.
                      He also says we (the "Rippetoe worshipers") are on his ignore list, and yet here he is, reading our posts, throwing his troll feces at us every chance he gets.

Comment

Tell you what I can totally agree with:

If you have a problem performing any of these lifts.... its not the lifts..... its you. Something is inherently jacked up with you.

So I do think a goal have having the ability to perform these lifts is necessary. How you go about getting there is a tenuous subject. For instance right now I can't rack a clean. Separated shoulders, torn pec muscle, and 16 years worth of wrestling kinda prohibit the positioning necessary to rack it without hurting myself. That makes me the problem not the lift.

Anyhow, all in all I see where RIP's going with it. "Functional work" and "not firing" and whatever else are definitely just buzz words or analogies. Either way it ain't real. I went through my whole life without doing dead lifts. I weight 160 and could bench over 315 at one point.... but never did a deadlift. When I started deadlifting 7-8 months ago 225 was tough.... my glutes werent "firing". Whatever that means right.... but its as good a word as any. To me that means I didn't know neurologically how to access their power to increase force in the movement..... and/or they were just f'ing weak. A bit of each most likely. But working the deadlift is improving that aspect. I do wonder though if I had or would now throw in some glute/ham raises if things would have progressed more quickly.

Either way I still have a bit of problem with squats, but I'm thinking that after sufficient deadlift work to stabilize some long time ignored areas I'm eventually going to be able to squat some weight without issue. Hey 20 years of ignoring your lower body probably creates a shit ton of "imbalances" even if you don't like that word.

What the hell am I ranting about?

I dunno. Just that I can see how detrimental a bodypart reductionist view can be in the long view, but how it may be necessary in short time spans. You can strengthen a "part" very adequately and have verifiable (by increasing weight) gains that you can then translate to training the whole (like post ACL surgery). The silly stuff is having that ACL person do a bunch of crap that isn't measurable. I.e. you don't know if the therapy is producing result.

Ok, I just brainstormed this incoherent mess out. Its a good thing this is just a forum and I'm not a blogger or anything.

Comment

An interesting take on the article: Strength of Evidence Podcast: Episode 7.5
                          My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

^Yeah, a PT makes a reasonable response there about pain related weakness. Obviously there are neurological loops related to pain and injury that inhibit a muscles ability to contract. Its a protective mechanism. So until the tissue that is injured is addressed it's gonna be hard to train for strength in those instances.

I'm pretty sure Rippetoe knew his article as a bit over the top, but hey in some contexts (not all) he makes a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              I'm pretty sure Rippetoe knew his article as a bit over the top, but hey in some contexts (not all) he makes a good point.
                              Yeah, a lot of people are taking this as Rippetoe just trying to get attention, but I didn't see it that way at all. He really believes in everything he says, which is what makes him so popular. Although some of his beliefs are untrue/aren't backed by scientific evidence, they work in a practical setting for the most part and he deserves a ton of respect for this.
                              My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

It doesn't matter if your are Mark, Dr. McDuff, or Rippetoe what they all have in common is a system that they market. They are not out to sell everyone... just a following of people that buys into their program.
                                What I see that give Gray credibility is that fact that when Michelle Wei was injured in 2008 it was Gray Cook who was called in. The 2007 Colts and Bears both used Gray in 2007 to keep their athletes on the field. They both made it to the Super bowl and now all the teams are using his protocols.

For me it is pretty hard to ignore decisions made by teams and individuals that have millions of dollars riding on the health of their atheletes

Comment

Working...
                                X