Assist me in my lower back pain!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assist me in my lower back pain!

Generally speaking, since starting heavy lifting with barbells I have a much stronger lower back.

The only problem is now things are starting to get really heavy my back does not seem to enjoy it. It's annoying because I'm only 19.

Basically, today I did my deadlift. Got up to my work set of 105kg and when I finished, my low back was sore. Not the good kind of pump sore but it seemed more to do with my spine. This usually happens and after a few minutes goes away and It never bothers me again until the next workout.
    I got home and did my own self traction work for my spine by hanging off the pull-up bar. Alternating between that and the grok squat for like 5 minutes and my back felt great. Now, there is just a little bit of soreness.

My right leg feels a bit sore too but not sure if that's nerve pain (pinched disc) or just general pain from effed up form.

I'm gonna go to a doctor to get a proper check up but I thought I'd mention here because you guys know exactly what I'm talking about

I got rid of a lot of back problems by switching to a trap bar for deadlifts. Also, try lowering the weight and moving a bit slower. It helps to keep better form and you will be amazed how quickly you can build back up to the weight you are currently using moving at a faster speed.
    The blog: Lean Ape

100 Steps To YOUR perfect Body

Comment

I got $10 that says you're rounding your lower back, either when you pull, or when you put the weight down. Post a form check video.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I second what Rich said. It sounds like it is a form problem more than anything. Though for curiosity's sake, what sort of rep scheme are you using? And are you changing where your head is pointing and eyes looking?

In addition to hanging off of the pull up bar for decompression, I've had good luck with just hanging out on a dip station (sometimes even with a weighted belt on).
        turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          I got $10 that says you're rounding your lower back, either when you pull, or when you put the weight down. Post a form check video.
          I agree.

Both the great thing and the worst thing about the dead lift is that you can not get away with poor form.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            This

Comment

Rich is 100% correct on this. You probably need to work on your form.
              In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Do the Plank and build up your stomach muscles and also the side muscles. It could be that your back's too strong for the rest of your torso. Restore the balance.

Randall

Comment

Originally posted by randallfloyd View Post
                  Do the Plank and build up your stomach muscles and also the side muscles. It could be that your back's too strong for the rest of your torso. Restore the balance.

Randall
                  Well at least you recommended planks instead of something silly like sit-ups.

Here is some relevant info with a couple of useful exercises:

Comment

Originally posted by randallfloyd View Post

Randall
                    I doubt that. I would of thought it was the other way around. If anything.

Comment

Ill get a few videos of form next workout. I'm probably rounding on the way down.

Another thing, when I take in my gulp of air to fill up my belly to protect by back, am I tensing/engaging my abs at the same time?
                      Once over, I was just engaging my gut, without taking that gulp of air. Then I started taking that gulp of air without tensing the abs. Should I be doing both?

Comment

Ah ok, so after looking at form videos and techniques. I think my problem had to do with using to much of my back and not my legs. So once it got past knees, instead of thrusting forward with my hips I pulled with my back.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                          Ah ok, so after looking at form videos and techniques. I think my problem had to do with using to much of my back and not my legs. So once it got past knees, instead of thrusting forward with my hips I pulled with my back.
                          My spine is crying just thinking about this. Form is paramount on barbell lifts. You will get hurt if you don't have it nailed down.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            Well at least you recommended planks instead of something silly like sit-ups.

Here is some relevant info with a couple of useful exercises:

Interesting video, Mr. Steward is one of the best spinal doctors !
                            I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Getting fit is also about managing your mindset:
                            http://getfitmindset.com

Comment

Okay, So I squatted 90kg today and the same thing. I had a bit of "spinal soreness" (as best as I can describe) for a few minutes then it went away to a nice lower back pump. As if it got a good workout. I checked my form with one of the trainers who thought nothing seemed wrong with it.

Could it simply be too much weight? I'm always near failure on the last rep on the last set. Where is takes a lot of push to get the weight up and a lot of constipation looking faces.

My stick my arse out, chest up, lower down, bend the knees, I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong.

Everyone says to take a deep breath in and keep it in your belly, while some say just suck your gut into your spine. Which one? I take a breath in my gut and perform the movement, and I simultaneously supposed to be tensing, or engaging my core??
                              Last edited by Lockstock; 07-08-2013, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X