Strictly kettlebell workout..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's cool FF.
    Are you able to do all 10 x 10 swings with the 16kg one handed comfortably in 5 mins now?

I started out with 2 handed swings with a 24 kg kb only able to do 1 or 2 one handed swings and was amazed how quickly i was able to increase the number of one hand swings. If need to go through my journal to check but iirc doing s&s 5 or 6 times a week i got up to all 100 swings one handed in around 4 weeks.

The TGUs on the other hand, i had to start with about a kg and work up from there. But again, i found the Speed with which i progressed very surprising.

For both movements the heavier weight felt easier each practice.

Maybe try adding some extra practices each week and see if you progress more quickly.

Don't forget, you shouldn't be aiming for the test times each time you do it, you can take longer to complete on most days
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I hope to get back to S&S soon myself. Crap going on at home that makes sessions difficult to impossible. But when I WAS doing S&S on a somewhat regular basis...

I'd have to check my logs, but I used the 16kg for my first session and just made the "time goals", so I started working in the 24kg right away, a set here, a set there, as laid out in the S&S program. At first with swings, I couldn't even do 10 one-handed swings with the 24kg, so I had to do sets of five, and go up from there.

My sessions have always been very sporadic due to home life. I might be consistent for 2-3 months, getting 2-4 sessions per week, sometimes I might only get 1-2 sessions in a week, and sometimes I might go 2-3 months with no sessions at all. I mean, VERY sporadic.

Given that, in my last "regular" sessions, I was using the 32kg for all but one set in both swings and getups. So, I was *this* close to using the 32kg exclusively for all sets in both drills.

This was a big deal for me. Strength gains have always come slowly, and I honestly never thought I would even need a 32kg because it would be too heavy. However, due to the progress from S&S I have worked through the 24kg and was using the 32kg almost exclusively.

One thing that I think helped me move up in the TGU was simply holding the kettlebell overhead. Sometimes it would be the 24kg for time. I would either just stand there holding it overhead, walk while holding it overhead (waiter's walk), or hold positions in the TGU. Sometimes I would do the same with the 32kg, but just hold it for shorter times, after push-pressing or jerking it overhead.

I think these isometric holds helped me progress faster to using the 32kg in the TGU.

Also, I agree with Misabi regarding the timing. The idea isn't to meet the time goals in every session. Just test yourself periodically.

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
        That's cool FF.
        Are you able to do all 10 x 10 swings with the 16kg one handed comfortably in 5 mins now?

Don't forget, you shouldn't be aiming for the test times each time you do it, you can take longer to complete on most days
        Thanks for the comments & encouragement!

I'm now on week 9 of S&S and I can easily meet the time goals with 16kg for both swing and TGU.
        In fact I've been doing the 1-handed swings with 20kg lately and switching down to 16kg for TGU.
        This week I tried one rep TGU with 20kg and it can be a bit shaky, especially left handed. I then did the remaining 4 reps with 16kg.

My plan is to work towards swings + TGUs with 20kg in about 2-3 weeks, and probably towards the end of that period meeting the 60s time-goal for 10R+10L swings as well as 60s+60s for R+L TGU will be possible too. I hope I've understood the timing of S&S correctly?
        I might have to get a 24kg bell soon - 2-handed swings would be quite doable right now I think.

Comment

Personally, I'd skip straight to the 24kg and start of with two handers. You'll get more overall benefit than you will from working the 20kg into your one handers.

Basically, if i understood your question, yes.
          The test is 10 x 10 one handed swings in 5 mins, 1 min rest followed by 10 TGUs (5 with each arm) in 10 mins.
          But this is a test and shouldn't be your aim for every practice.

As i understand it (it had been over a year since i read s&s, so i may be wrong) but after a set of 10 swings you should be waiting for your heart rate to drop back half way to normal. I generally use my breathing as a proxy for heart rate rather than wearing a heart rate monitor, so the time between sets would get a little longer towards the end of the session as I'm getting more out of breath during a set and it takes for my breathing to settle back down to roughly half way to normal.

Once I'm up to doing all 10 sets of one handed swings comfortably with good form and full power throughout, I work on reducing the rest time between sets to approx 5 breaths or 10 secs. every week or 2 I'll throw in a test and go full bore to see how quickly i can do it, while still maintaining form and power. It works out to basically be a tabata plus 2 extra sets of swings (ie. 20 secs of swings with 10 secs of rest).
          When you can do that without getting gassed is time to work in a heavier bell.

TGUs
          Don't rush them. Concentrate on good form performed slowly with pauses at any sticking points. Say you can get wobbly in the kneeling position with the bell overhead, work up to that point and then go back down. After a few sessions you will find you will be stable enough in the kneeling positing and able to progress standing.

To get better and stronger do them slower with pauses at each transition point. This will highlight any issues you have with the movement which may get missed when doing them quickly eg. Imbalances etc.

Once you can do a TGU in a controlled stable manner, reduce the pauses to make the transitions smooth which will in turn make you TGU quicker without you rushing.

For the TGUs, remember "slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

I highly recommend have a session with a SFG or RKC certified KB instructor to iron out any kinks in your technique. While both are fundamental movements there are many intricacies which could be missed by learning from watching videos which could show you down at best or injure you at worst.
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

There is a loooong interesting thread going on about heartrate during swings, Pavel is in there.
            My S&S Swing and heartrate | StrongFirst - Forum for Strength

Comment

Yes I have, I've been doing strictly KB workouts for a few months now and I am happy with my results. This is because kettlebell workouts tend to use full body so I raise my metabolism and burn alot of fat while building muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by gergirl View Post
                There is a loooong interesting thread going on about heartrate during swings, Pavel is in there.
                My S&S Swing and heartrate | StrongFirst - Forum for Strength
                Thanks gg, I haven't checked in there for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                  Thanks gg, I haven't checked in there for a while
                  They gave the forum a face lift. Unfortunately, I cannot log in anymore
                  Last edited by gergirl; 09-24-2015, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gergirl View Post
                    They gave the forum a face lift. Unfortunately, I cannot log in anymore
                    Pretty sure others had this problem as well - including myself.

I just had to reset my password, using the "Forgot password" link or whatever it was. Working fine now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Paul View Post
                      Pretty sure others had this problem as well - including myself.

I just had to reset my password, using the "Forgot password" link or whatever it was. Working fine now.
                      I will try. Thank you
                      I have tried. Login ok, jut no permission to see/read the forum, which I can, when I am logged out. Weird.
                      Last edited by gergirl; 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

It's weird.

The forum works fine for me.

I can also read the main site fine.

However, if someone in the forum links to an article on the main site, I can't click on their link - it asks me to register and log in. But if I just copy/paste the URL, it works fine.

All that said, I like the new format there - and it works very nicely on my phone (though I haven't tried to post).

Comment

I do not get any emails with new password. I remain logged out obviously.
                          Well, then I just read along.

Comment

Originally posted by lmoya83 View Post
                            I was wondering if anybody has had success with strictly kettlebell workouts...With wight loss..
                            I don't really have the body type or genetics to get "ripped", but ever since I incorporated the odd "KB only" workout into my regime of body weight stuff + deadlifts and squats, I've certainly inched closer to the ripped end of the spectrum.

Many times that KB workout is swings only, or swings plus squat thrusts in between , and less commonly it is a variety of things. I guess the best "getting ripped" combo that I've discovered so far is the KB swing squat thrust combo... but because of the squat thrust it isn't a KB only workout, but the KB is the only piece of equipment that you need.

Comment

Also, I find that KB swings are way more about the technique than how much you are lifting. And that "how much" you are lifting is more of a technique sweet spot than a desire to swing as much as possible. I guess that goes for all weight training, but for some reason, with KB swings, you can pick a weight that is too heavy OR too light for good form. It really is about understanding the technique and finding that sweet spot weight that is magic. And that sweet spot does go up with time, but I say never force it... your body will know what feels right. And with KB swings, that seems to be my end point - not the amount of weight I lift, but how it affects how my body feels. Hard to describe. sorry.

Comment

There certainly is something magical about swings for body comp

With as little as a few 5 min sessions of swings a week I can see the difference pretty quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X