Squats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    They can be in healthy individuals, but when you're dealing with pain, you have to take a more comprehensive approach. I don't buy into the Rippetoe cult laws that the three compound lifts are all you need. It's nonsense.
    The Rippetoe cult laws? Three compound lifts? What?
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      The Rippetoe cult laws? Three compound lifts? What?
      Don't feed the trolls.

Comment

Who's the troll? Not I! :-)

Comment

Oh the guy Rich was addressing.
          What's wrong with Rippetoes approach?

Comment

Originally posted by umm7 View Post
            Oh the guy Rich was addressing.
            What's wrong with Rippetoes approach?
            Well, it relies on the assumption that you're not a precious, special little snowflake and that the type of programming that has worked for novice lifters for decades will work for you if you're a novice lifter. Some people take offense to that, but I can't exactly understand why. I just pat the snowflakes on the head and go squat my junk off.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Alrighty then.
              Why snowflake? (not being facetious)

Comment

Because every snowflake is precious and unique. You know the type, every discussion involves them saying something like:

"Everyone is different, what works for someone, might not work for you!"

... Except it does. Every person in existence who is physically capable of working with barbells, will get stronger the most efficiently with barbells. Millions of people, all over the world, for decades, have used barbells to build a lot of strength. ... But not you. You're different. You're unique. You will just do some push-ups, and curl some dumbbells, and you'll be strong, because barbells are not for you, not for your gentle snowflake body. It's too unique...

Comment

Lol this forum is great!

Comment

Hi umm7

You could try a couple of weeks of daily greasing the groove with Hindu or bootstrapper squats. I also warmup with deep supported squats, arse to the floor.

Just started lifting again and flexibility is limiting my rom, especially ankle flexibility. Up to mt 2nd week of squats and slowly building weight and ROM. Keep at it and don't be afraid to back off the weight to get form dialed in.
                    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

Wow, quite a bit of backlash on my comment, I probably should have clarified what exactly I meant.

I never once said anything against the three compound lifts. In fact, they create the basis of my training (as they should everyone else's who is capable of performing the lifts properly). However, you have the bigots who speak of Rippetoe like he's the second coming, and say if you don't squat you're a pansy, so on and so forth.

No one has to squat. It's not some sort of magical exercise that makes the world go 'round. Squatting is excellent, but if someone has injuries/physical limitations that don't allow them to squat correctly, they shouldn't worry about squatting.

Calling me a troll because I don't worship Rippetoe is absurd.
                      My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

What would one do in place of squatting should my knee issue not resolve? I use weights at home and have no access to a gym.

Comment

However, you have the bigots who speak of Rippetoe like he's the second coming
                          Bigots? Dictionary much?

and say if you don't squat you're a pansy, so on and so forth.
                          If you want to get strong, and you can squat, and you don't squat, you're either uninformed or a pussy.

No one has to squat. It's not some sort of magical exercise that makes the world go 'round.
                          It is some sort of (practically) magical exercise. Nothing allows you to move as much weight over as great a range of motion involving as many joints and utilizing the amount of muscle mass as a full-ROM back squat. It has CNS effects that even the deadlift can't match. The squat zealots are right and you are wrong on this point.

to the OP: If you can't make the squat feel right, I'd recommend getting a qualified coach to try and help you get the mechanics down, since you won't post a form video. If you can't or won't take the steps necessary to perform the single most important exercise for strength development, you'll have to settle for second best. Not gonna sugar coat it.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post

It is some sort of (practically) magical exercise. Nothing allows you to move as much weight over as great a range of motion involving as many joints and utilizing the amount of muscle mass as a full-ROM back squat. It has CNS effects that even the deadlift can't match. The squat zealots are right and you are wrong on this point.
                            I thought this was universally accepted? that squats and deads (movements that recruit the most muscles) have the best effects on the body. One of which being testosterone production.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                              I thought this was universally accepted? that squats and deads (movements that recruit the most muscles) have the best effects on the body. One of which being testosterone production.
                              But squats, probably because of the fact that the barbell is held on your back, create a unique CNS response that even the deadlift can't match. But yeah, all of what you're saying is pretty well documented, in my opinion.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I love squatting anyway and really don't want to give it up. I will post anon like you suggested. I can feel a difference in my well being when I do them. Better than that, I feel kinda awesome :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X