Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast can your body realistically get stronger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
    total confirmation bias.
    Just wikie'd that and skimed it quick and yea honistly a lot of it fits with a lot of my thinking (not just in this thread)

did chuckle at ..."Poor decisions due to these biases have been found in military, political, and organizational contexts."
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 428 lbs
    06/23/2015 Current weight : 288 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 208 lbs

Comment

• It seem to be a troll gathering around here, so let me get out of this thread before it’s too late…
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        Nothing. All major powerlifting federations require the bench presser's feet both remain on the floor throughout the lift. And your cat is incapable due to its felinimetrics.
        But my cat is dead and has held many pounds of dirt over his head for over a year! Doesn't that make him strong? Can you hold many pounds of dirt over your head for over a year? There by you are weaker than my dead cat.

Comment

• rigor mortis cat vs thin pine plank …think both would hold the dirt fine until decomposition but nether could hold an anvil

And I have more surface area so apron internment will indeed hold more pounds of dirt over my head then your cat. Double size coffin … just need to pimp it out
          Last edited by BigChris; 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Chris, if you think you are strong enough or don't want to train for whatever reason, and just want to lose weight, try PB without all that. Mark says body composition is 80% nutrition. There are numerous posters here who do get good weight loss results by following PB only with respect to how they eat, and don't bother with exercise. (I'm not one of them. I want to do pullups.) Everyone has different goals. And they often evolve over time as you learn what is possible for you. You need to be satisfied with what your goals are and that working on them makes you happy.

For the record, I would ask all of y'all to help me move a couch or a car.
            As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

• Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              but this guy was picked on and ignored by a couple of meatheads a the gym and a couple of the "cool kids" in high school and now he wants a hug. .
              Don’t know that my high school had “cool kids” per say .. There where 30 student in my graduating class most of us started kindergarten together and over half where related in some way.

Comment

• Well Chris whatever you decide to do I'm sure you can. Grok on

Comment

• Jeezus H. Christ on a raft. BigChris you are weak, you are obtuse and dense and you can't spell. But you believe you are strong, smart and the most special snowflake in the universe.

You have a gift that a lot of other guys don't: you have a body ripe with the conditions for growth. You COULD choose to milk those conditions to produce a lot of muscle and be able to lift hundreds of pounds and thus demonstrate strength NOBODY can deny. Instead you'd rather whine about how special you are and try to convince people that since you can waddle around with a little blubber for a few yards here and there that you are super strong. Sorry, there are guys out there who can waddle around with a little blubber AND put hundreds of pounds over their heads.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Jeezus H. Christ on a raft. BigChris you are weak, you are obtuse and dense and you can't spell. But you believe you are strong, smart and the most special snowflake in the universe.

You have a gift that a lot of other guys don't: you have a body ripe with the conditions for growth. You COULD choose to milk those conditions to produce a lot of muscle and be able to lift hundreds of pounds and thus demonstrate strength NOBODY can deny. Instead you'd rather whine about how special you are and try to convince people that since you can waddle around with a little blubber for a few yards here and there that you are super strong. Sorry, there are guys out there who can waddle around with a little blubber AND put hundreds of pounds over their heads.
                    Yeah!

Comment

• Originally posted by quikky View Post
                      Yeah!
                      F%&* Yeah!
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Holy shit, this thread really went off the rails!

Comment

• Chris seems to be an honest person looking for concrete answers in a slippery, artificial, ego-driven world.

Chris, the answers you seek do not exist. There are no real standards, only your own goals. I've asked the same question. "Am I strong enough?" and there really isn't an answer. I'm stronger than most people I work with, and can easily pick up things others get carts for and walk off with them whistling. I can climb trees, climb a rope with just my arms, and do 1 one-armed chin-up per arm on a good day. I see videos of scrawny little legless guys going for dozens of reps with just one arm on a bar, and realize I'd have to intentionally let my legs atrophy to accomplish that. So, no, I'll probably never be a rock star of the pull-up bar. But I can do 15 chin-ups any day and that's good enough for me. I am happy, somewhat strong, and look good naked. Some people have better numbers and some people have worse numbers. Are they all happy? Gosh I hope so. Strength training is only part of fitness which is only part of health. Plenty of stronger people will die younger than me. It's all a wash, it's all meaningless. There are no standards. Just lose that body fat, lift heavy while you do, and calm your mind. Part of being a healthy adult is not giving a damn.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• I don't think BigChris is stupid and he's also not saying he can only squat 45lbs, I think he's just wondering why, ins squat, his body weight doesn't account for anything. And honestly I bet it is tougher for someone of 450lbs to squat than someone of 160lbs, but really that's not the point!

The point is how much you can lift functionally, and it sounds as if he's quite strong on a functional level. Which means what?? He can choose to get stronger or not! If he thinks he's strong enough then maybe he doesn't have to bust a gut to get even stronger.

My goal is to get as strong as reasonably possible, and as I'm female and small that's probably not going to be massively strong, but if I was naturally bigger/stronger I don't know if I would have the same focus.

Comment

• I have a friend who's my height but weighs over 200. I weigh 155. He can do just about as many pullups as I can. I usually do pullups with 70 pounds of added weight. We both think the other person is strong.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                                I have a friend who's my height but weighs over 200. I weigh 155. He can do just about as many pullups as I can. I usually do pullups with 70 pounds of added weight. We both think the other person is strong.
                                When I couldn't deadlift 400#, I thought deadlifting 400# was the definition of strong. Nowadays I think pulling 500# is the baseline. When I pull that, I'll probably still think I'm not strong enough. It's a matter of perspective. I probably need to put on 20 pounds to have any hope of getting my deadlift to 500, although genetically gifted "freaks of nature" like Lamar Gant have pulled far more while weighing far less.

My suggestion is to hang out with people stronger than you. I can walk into most Planet Fatness gyms and be one of the strongest people in the gym, or I can walk into a black iron gym and be humbled. If I walked into Westside Barbell, they'd laugh me out of the room. Literally, I'd be sent away and told that such weaklings aren't allowed to train there.

I happen to do my strength training at home, but I spend as much time on the starting strength forums as I do here, and it keeps me from settling.

TL: DR version: Strength is a journey, not a destination. Surround yourself with people who are better than you at whatever you want to be good at, and never settle for mediocrity.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X