Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast can your body realistically get stronger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigChris View Post
    so I really don’t get the obsession or value in posting weights showing how strong one is and calming lift numbers can be used as actuate measures of heath if two people in the “same column” are not view/treated the same.
    do you want a hug? a handshake? a trophy? shut up and lift already. who cares how people view you? what are you a 12 year old girl? maybe people view you as annoying. because you are. yes, you have some absolute strength. but relative to your bodyweight, you are as weak as a child. how are people supposed to view a morbidly obese grown man who never stops whining? please tell us. if I saw you in the gym, working your ass off (whether you were squatting 45lbs of 450lbs) i'd be impressed. because that's a lot more than most americans are doing. i'd give you pointers, offer to spot you, etc. but as soon as you started flapping your lips about how people viewed you and treated you, i'd walk away. enough of the whining. you're not a victim of anything. be a grownup.

Comment

yes but they are standard ie. the same for everone (within a dozen or so catagey not just one .. ok I can live with that)
      ..not you lifting xxx saying its good and your strong, someone else lift cccc and person 3 zzz claming no they are strong .. which is all I have experianced / seen posted .. shit all over the place with all sorts of differing variables
      so, I was trying to aply a striped down base level physics type approch ... leg muslecs must lift a given weight to be called strong .... anything above them moving is part of "the weight" lifted. sooo, what absoult weight moved equates with strong? thats how I was framing the question. so to arive at a common fixed starting/mesurment point. (better a slight inacurate/simplfied point of referance ... but far far better then none)
      04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
      01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 428 lbs
      06/23/2015 Current weight : 288 lbs
      12/31/2015 Goal weight : 208 lbs

Comment

What, what if he could do pistol squats? Now wouldn't that be badass?
        If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

but thso, I was trying to aply a striped down base level physics type approch ... leg muslecs must lift a given weight to be called strong .... anything above them moving is part of "the weight" lifted. sooo, what absoult weight moved equates with strong? thats how I was framing the question. so to arive at a common fixed starting/mesurment point. (better a slight inacurate/simplfied point of referance ... but far far better then none)
          643.1725 lbs.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            643.1725 lbs.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I saw something so simple made so complicated. There is no magical point at which someone is universally considered strong, just like there's no magical point at which a woman is universally considered hot.

There will always be some people who consider you strong, and some people who consider you weak. There are different measures of strength, and different compensating factors may or may not be considered. The strength standards tables provide nice reference points, but the numbers are probably somewhat arbitrary, there are other ways to measure strength, and strength is not the only goal for many people.

Just do what you can to improve what you care about, and don't worry about what the definition of "strong" is.
              "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalHunter View Post
                I can't remember the last time I saw something so simple made so complicated.
                That's our specialty around here.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalHunter View Post
                  I can't remember the last time I saw something so simple made so complicated. There is no magical point at which someone is universally considered strong, just like there's no magical point at which a woman is universally considered hot.

There will always be some people who consider you strong, and some people who consider you weak. There are different measures of strength, and different compensating factors may or may not be considered. The strength standards tables provide nice reference points, but the numbers are probably somewhat arbitrary, there are other ways to measure strength, and strength is not the only goal for many people.

Just do what you can to improve what you care about, and don't worry about what the definition of "strong" is.
                  Very vise Primalhunter, I agree completely! And also don’t let us forget that “strong” is not the same as “fit” either – some people can be considered “strong” but at the same time unfit, like some big lifting guys that I know that hardly can walk a few stairs without resting…
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

This is a crazy discussion. Are we seriously debating if a guy who can squat 45lb is strong? I don't care how much you weigh, if you squat 45lb, you are weak.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                      This is a crazy discussion. Are we seriously debating if a guy who can squat 45lb is strong? I don't care how much you weigh, if you squat 45lb, you are weak.
                      No freaking joke. My 11 year old, 60 pound girl gymnasts are squatting that much, perfectly.

Comment

many seem to have missed the point that I could have said 100lbs 300lbs 50lbs the number on the bar that I chose was irelivent and arbatry (has no baring to what I can / can't do in real life) I simply used it as a number to try and make a point ... obviosly this consept is beyond you.

Comment

many seem to have missed the point that I could have said 100lbs 300lbs 50lbs the number on the bar that I chose was irelivent and arbatry (has no baring to what I can / can't do in real life) I simply used it as a number to try and make a point ... obviosly this consept is beyond you.
                          What is your point other than the fact that you want us to say you're so strong and wonderful because you can squat your own bodyweight? I showed you examples of strong big guys. Can you do what they do? No. Congratulations, Snowflake.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Your building a robot and are putting hydraulic rams from the knees to the hips
                            The torso of bot #1 weights 300 pounds ---so the rams need to be strong enough to lift that amount of weight.

The torso of bot #2 weights 100 pounds and you add 200lb pack -- so the rams need to be strong enough to lift that amount of weight.

Same strength 300lbs capacity hydraulic ram can be used in both

It real is/was that’s simple
                            Last edited by BigChris; 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Your building a robot and are putting hydraulic rams from the knees to the hips
                              The torso of bot #1 weights 300 pounds ---so the rams need to be strong enough to lift that amount of weight.

The torso of bot #2 weights 100 pounds and you add 200lb pack -- so the rams need to be strong enough to lift that amount of weight.

Same strength 300lbs capacity hydraulic ram can be used in both

It real is that’s simple
                              Robot # 2 can be used to lift a 200# object. Robot # 1 can be used to lift a 0# object. What's the point of strength that can't be used?
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

maybe robot #1 dosent have to lift objects ... maybe thats why robot 2 exists.

hell this got so twisted and blone out of protion that even I don't know what my orgin point was goign to be. .. forget it ... repeta after me .. the fat guy is week the fat guy is week the fat guy is week ..there happy again.... now we can all go back to are normal/other converstions
                                Last edited by BigChris; 06-27-2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X