Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast can your body realistically get stronger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yes you are sure. It's because it makes it hard for everyone to feel like a special little snowflake.

Rippetoe's point was that people were mis-using the chart he and Lon Kilgore had published (it's up again now on startingstrength.com, but he re-named the categories because it was causing confusion).

The charts do you no good for planning purposes if the game plan is always to get stronger. But they let you compare a little guy to a big guy for relative strength, and they remind you that you're still weak, at least up to the point where you're a competitive national-level powerlifter, in which case the people who beat you at meets will serve as reminder enough.
    yup. snowflake syndrome is an epidemic nowadays. i'm not sure why people can't just be ok with the fact that someone is always going to be bigger, stronger, faster, etc. too much bad parenting/everyone gets a trophy/you're my little princess stuff being told to children. really sets them up for failure down the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
      yup. snowflake syndrome is an epidemic nowadays. i'm not sure why people can't just be ok with the fact that someone is always going to be bigger, stronger, faster, etc. too much bad parenting/everyone gets a trophy/you're my little princess stuff being told to children. really sets them up for failure down the road.
      Good post, buddy. You get a gold star!
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Good post, buddy. You get a gold star!
        everybody is a comedian

Comment

• I enjoy that someone has at least put down "what is elite?" at certain lifts....but I like the site for some of it's other metrics that will give you an idea of your overall fitness. I keep in mind on those standards that "advanced" is about all I am likely to get with any lift, because genetically I am no powerlifter for sure. With that said, I use a more rounded approach to track how I am doing. I think that if you were to get these all down for someone, you'd have a real idea of their overall fitness.

- Maxes on the 4 major lifts (No cleans or snatches, take training to teach)
          - Speed at 40m, 100m, 2 miles
          - Speed of 10mile ruck walk c 75lb pack (similar to military metric)
          - Vertical jump
          - Max reps in 3 min of pushup, pullup, situp

They have most of these on the site as well....so for me, sacrificing all of one to have nothing on the others defeats the purpose. I know a guy I play rugby with that hits advanced on most of those lifts, runs a 4.7s 40m, does 2mi in under 13min, and is 230 pounds. For me, THAT is impressive.
          Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 07-02-2013, 08:29 AM.
          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

too much bad parenting/everyone gets a trophy/you're my little princess stuff being told to children.
            What are you saying, I am not my mommy's little princess?

Comment

• Originally posted by quikky View Post
              What are you saying, I am not my mommy's little princess?
              are you the heir to a castle/throne?

Comment

are you the heir to a castle/throne?
                Yes.

Comment

Yes.
                  Is it pink?
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Is it pink?
                    Barbie castles do not count

Comment

• Dude, every princess I know lives in a pink castle, and rides a pony/unicorn that craps glitter.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Dude, every princess I know lives in a pink castle, and rides a pony/unicorn that craps glitter.
                        I met a few princesses in my life and they all lived in mcmansions in westchester county, drove bmws and land rovers, and crapped cocaine and marlboro lights. oh wait.. different kind of princess...my bad

Comment

• My unicorn craps whey protein powder, which I consume while riding him in my glittery pink dress. Is that wrong?

Comment

My unicorn craps whey protein powder, which I consume while riding him in my glittery pink dress. Is that wrong?
                            step away from the lsd

Comment

step away from the lsd
                              I can do what I want, mother!

Comment

My unicorn craps whey protein powder, which I consume while riding him in my glittery pink dress. Is that wrong?
                                Concentrate or Isolate?
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X