No announcement yet.

Ack! Sprints are making me RAVENOUS!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ack! Sprints are making me RAVENOUS!!!

Hi everyone,

I've been doing sprints or other high intensity workout most mornings this week, and I'm STARVING! I usually IF until around 8pm on mondays so that I can do my yoga class in a fasted state.

Well, around 4pm I was shakey and dizzy and so hungry I wanted to cry! I was totally caught off guard, so I ate... sigh... french fries. I wanted one of those new KFC double down thingies, but Canadians are not privilaged enough to get these and my kiddos were already so excited about french fries (big time treat in this house) so I caved. I know not earth shattering or anything, but it really was strange to me as IF'ing is something I've been able to do with ease since begining the PB.

So... any tips? Is it the sprinting? Should I fast and THEN sprint?
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

I love sprinting in a fasted state. I always feel lighter. I usually sprint at 6am and then eat around noon. Personally, I find that it supresses my appetite pretty good for a little while. I usually just top myself up until noon with water. Then I feast! I love to 'earn' my meal!!!
    I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Maybe you're putting too much effort into planning an 'intermittent' fast! I understand the benefits, but with sprinting and hard work, your body does, after all, want fuel.

-写
      Little Saiyan

Comment

Is it close to that time of the month? I'm always A LOT hungrier.

Comment

Hmmm, good point unchatenfrance...

good point ikaika! I am just used to fasting before yoga, because it's recomended to do yoga on an empty stomach.

I ate at 7:3pm the night before, worked out at 8am, and then almost died around 4pm, so I think I took it too far. I'll take your advice lovestoclimb and fast, then sprint, then eat instead of sprint, fast and pass out! Ha ha!!!
          -John Lennon

Comment

Most mornings? Your probably need more relaxation days. I would think sprinting along with HIIT would require even longer to recover from than traditional weight lifting.
            My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

I feel so great doing something active every morning though to start my day. It's just been this week that I've started sprinting most mornings. Maybe I should alternate yoga and sprinting. How many days do you think I should rest?
              -John Lennon

Comment

One to two depending on how you feel. You can always walk and do yoga like you mentioned on off days.

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
                  One to two depending on how you feel. You can always walk and do yoga like you mentioned on off days.
                  Thanks for the advice strom. I will definitely start alternating and see how it goes. And no more extended IF's on the really active days!!!
                  -John Lennon

Comment

Move around slowly often. Sprints are a once a week thing.

Comment

Hey,

I had a problem with unending hunger; it might be because I do more exercise than the average Primal recommendation, but it is a mixture of LOVE (I love dance, ballet, weights, racketball) and necessity (I live in a mountainous city without a car and have to get around!). Anyway, I am an nutrition / exercise physiologist and have this theory that ravenous hunger, *assuming* that you are generally eating enough calories and fat and getting a good nutrient balance (I don't see carbs as necessary even for pretty long / intense exercise...) is due to your body being unable to replace some of the muscle you are breaking down. Regardless of what you eat, the body is constantly breaking down your muscle (although the rate varies) and what people refer to as 'burning muscle for energy' is somewhat that, but also an inability to replace as quickly as you are burning it up.

Anyway, when I could not control my hunger, I tried adding fat, but it didn't help.. What did was 1) adding in more protein (I must confess to the odd unsweetened whey protein shake made with unsweetened almond milk, which is not super primal but super delicious!) and 2) (and I think this is most important) supplementing with amino acids which are needed for protein synthesis (so help rebuild) and have anti-catabolic effects (so stop breakdown a bit). I take glutamine, as I am not too sure about creatine as a supplement for me.

Anyway, this has made a huge difference - I no longer crave sweet stuff all the time (which I did even after months of primal) and my hunger is better controlled. So, if you are comfortable with supplements, I would recommend trying this...

Let us know how you do,

Lekki xxx

Comment

If your doing a ton of activities your going to have to eat more, so your not starving your body. Otherwise the body starts rebelling and causes you to be sluggish and fatigued. This is to conserve enough energy to power everything else I believe. The more calories (fat and proteins mainly) you take in when doing intensive fitness, the more energy you tend to have. Also you recover much faster. Well this is my experience with Brazillian Jui Jitsu and MMA.

Comment

Thanks for the tips Lekki! I have noticed my protein numbers creeping up since I started being more active. I will look into those suplements.
                          -John Lennon

Comment

i am ravenous on days i do some sort of "loss of breath" intense activity... eat more!
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X