No announcement yet.

Children's Fitness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids (3 and 5) ride bikes in the house, we set up obstacle courses, run around inside, practice gymnastics on a futon mattress placed on the floor, and this year I plan to introduce them to yoga to help them relax more. They are both enrolled in gymnastics and 1 other sport nearly year round as well.

Comment

I try to get outside with mine (9 and 11 y.o.) every day--to the park, woods, pool, beach...and they do the rest. Climb trees, climb anything else, swim,run...play! In the winter, it's dance classes and swimming, but those get expensive. We also set up an indoor swing (big piece of lycra from the fabric store attached to eye-bolts in a wide (6'/2m) door frame that they swing from. My son (11) sees me getting fitter and has decided he's going to get muscular--so he's been working out...the kid can do about 5 clean pull-ups, 1 minute plank, pushups...it's great to see. Once his testosterone kicks in, look out! Point is, they really do look up to us, and if we're active, improving, enjoying it, they will too. Well, maybe until the teenage years...

Comment

Do you have much space indoors?
        Get some old clothes and costumes for dress-up (along with props like swords, shields, wands, instruments, trucks, stuffed toys...etc) and indoor-friendly ball-games. Kids do the rest on their own.

PS: Also, try putting a couple of pullup bars in a door at varying heights, so everyone has to step on, climb over or duck under them when moving in and out of the room and so the kids can climb and/or swing around on them.
        --
        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
        I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Just put him on the mat with this kid everyday:

Comment

Tough to peak at age 8... ;-)

Comment

I take my 5 year old hiking and we both pick up rocks and throw them into a stream.
              I build up the excitement gradually and slowly make him lift bigger rocks (interesting to see how he adopts a deadlift like stance to pick up something heavier).
              Few but ripe.

Comment

Working...
              X