Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hey Carbdodger!

With your history I'm gonna make a few recommendations.

1. Don't go grabbing a kettlebell. It just makes normal lifts more complicated, so if you are on the low end of the coordination scale it would be a very bad place to start.

2. Don't do crunches on the floor. Actually just don't do crunches. Do planks, or if you must do crunches do the myotatic crunch 4-Hour Body - Six Minute Abs . Kinda like this. Just be sure you are coming from a slight hyperextension to ONLY slight flexion/neutral. Full on flexion in this position is bad on the back.

3. Given your history I'd recommend starting with either the Primal Fitness program (all bodyweight) at the appropriate level OR getting "Body by Science" and following that approach (you can use this with machined, bands, or bodyweight). Both are more appropriate than less stable workouts right now IMO.

My recommendation and not mentioning "Starting Strength" as an option is me erring on the side of caution. I don't know your current capacity for balance and coordination so don't know if barbell work is even an option.
    +1 Neckhammer gives excellent advice. I second this, as a personal trainer who mostly works with women.

Re; wrist weights. Great for wear & tear on your joints. Absolutely useless for gaining strength. Stick to bodyweight or dumbells.

A great book for women is Strong Women Stay Slim by Miriam Nelson, PhD. You can probably find a used copy easily. Great illustrations and a good place to start. Ignore any dietary advice in the book, of course!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Hey CD! One thing I have is body strength. I love feeling and being strong. What I do is use the machines at the gym (Body by Science ideas) 1-2 a week (depending on when I am in town), and do the exercise until I just can't anymore (8-12 reps x 2-3). It takes at least 3 and usually more for the 'aches' to subside and then I feel I am ready again. I feel stronger and love it. I highly suggest Body by Science.....

Comment

Congratulation for your progress but I would instantly join a gym if I were you and start with a basic 3 times/week full body routine.

Calculate your caloric intake and eat slightly over maintenance while training.

Use full body workouts along with compound exercises to dissipate any imbalance you might have
        I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Getting fit is also about managing your mindset:
        http://getfitmindset.com

Comment

Working...
        X