Calling All Crossfit Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think it would be cool if more places just offered straight up group weightlifting classes that focused on squats, deadlifts etc. That's the part I enjoy. If I go do that on my own at a gym, without a coach, no way will I push myself to go heavy. I looked for personal trainers, and around here, I didn't find anyone that did that type of lifting, nor were they affordable. My friend used to go to a place around here and pay something god awful like $500 a month to run on a treadmil and do bicep curls and bodyweight squats.
    I'm in same boat, wanting a trainer to help with or correct form. I think I could go much heavier on my lifts but don't for fear of injury. I've never seen a trainer at my gym EVER put a woman in the squat rack, or hold a dumbbell over 10 lbs! Bodyweight lunges are very common. I doubt they even know what a deadlift is!

For now I study a lot of youtube videos trying to figure it out on my own.

You need to find a good "black iron" gym and hire a trainer there. Or find a good partner and do a program on your own. I think you can search for Starting Strength certified coaches on that website as well.
    A "Black Iron" gym would be great, if only I lived by one

Comment

You need to find a good "black iron" gym and hire a trainer there. Or find a good partner and do a program on your own. I think you can search for Starting Strength certified coaches on that website as well.
      I know the type of gym of which you speak, there used to be one across the street from me. They closed. But they had a basement of dumbbells and barbells and big ass guys. Plus a sauna and a steam room. I used to go and do the elliptical for an hour then hang out in the steam room and talk to the stripper that was always doing pull ups. This town is DOMINATED by the YMCA and boutique gyms (I think we have like 6 places to Pole Dance, 3 or 4 of the "Aerial Silk" places etc.). That and the Planet Fitness that has free pizza every Thursday (judgement free!).

Maybe I should just start a gym. LOL, I have a friend who is a bodybuilder. Maybe he could be the trainer.

That said, I enjoy where I go for Crossfit, and like it enough that I hope they don't close down.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I was going to write up proper pros and cons for CF from my experience, but I think I'll just note a few key points instead:

1) Check what the WOD is beforehand and decide if you want to/should go. For example, if you are sore having worked shoulders a lot recently and it is another shoulder heavy workout, don't go. IMHO far too many people blindly follow their box's or HQ's programming without thinking for themselves.

2) High rep complex lifts done for time are problematic, regardless of how much form is stressed over speed. Simply put, you will get fatigued and however hard you try, form will suffer unless you start taking long breaks during a WOD, which kind of defeats the point. The risk of injury is reduced somewhat, however, by the relatively modest weights being used. Again you need to think for yourself, use a weight you can handle.

3) Kipping-pullups. This is a tricky one and often opens a can of worms, but here goes. Kipping is cheating, whatever anyone tries to tell you. However, that doesn't mean they can't be effectively incorporated into a workout. The problem is that people often use kipping-pullups when they can't do deadhangs. This makes injury more likely as they probably lack the strength and stability to execute the exercise under control.

There's a lot more you could say for and against CF, but I think it is well worth having a go as long as you always question what you are doing and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          What are people's thoughts on Crossfit being geared more toward strength or more toward fitness?
          CrossFit is definitely not a strength program. Strength training cannot be effective done long term without careful programming.

In my opinion, for "fitness", I think the best approach is appropriate strength training with heavy weights a few times a week, high intensity conditioning training a few times a week, such as hill sprints and prowler work, some mobility training, if there are problem areas, and lots of walking and such. This type of training is actually quite in line with Mark Sisson's approach, sprint, lift heavy things, etc.

I think if you took two twins, put one through CrossFit for 2 years, and the other through Starting Strength (to completion! none of this "tried it for a month" crap), followed by an intermediate lifting program and prowler conditioning 2-3 times a week, he would end up with much higher strength, bone density, lean body mass, and a high level of physical conditioning. In fact, I bet the lifter/prowler guy would beat the CrossFitter at CrossFit, with the exception being not knowing how to do things like kipping pull-ups (which is a plus in my book), muscle-ups, double unders, and some other things popular in CrossFit which require specific technique.

Look up how strong people do in CrossFit. Almost always they end up quickly progressing to the top of the pack because being able to press 185lb and do deadhang pull-ups with 45lb makes Fran a heck of a lot easier than just trying to do Fran faster.

Comment

I think though, Crossfit is a huge step up for people in terms of strength training. When you consider so many people are sedentary, then you have people who work out and just do jogging or cycling, getting people to do any type of weights is great. I already see a big difference in my body after 8 weeks. Much stronger in the core and broader shoulders, plus god bless them, my thighs are bigger but leaner.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              I think it would be cool if more places just offered straight up group weightlifting classes that focused on squats, deadlifts etc. That's the part I enjoy. If I go do that on my own at a gym, without a coach, no way will I push myself to go heavy. I looked for personal trainers, and around here, I didn't find anyone that did that type of lifting, nor were they affordable. My friend used to go to a place around here and pay something god awful like $500 a month to run on a treadmil and do bicep curls and bodyweight squats.
              Check out Catalyst Athletics. They post Olympic lifting workouts and are a fantastic resource for everything having to do with Olympic lifting. Right now they are on week 8 of a 9 week cycle. They also have programmed cycles that you can follow. I'd check with the owners/trainers at your box and see if they'd be okay if you did your own thing. I have no problem with my more experienced members working independently.

Comment

Thanks so much everybody for the helpful info.

The whole "fitness" vs "strength" concept is interesting has come up in a couple of responses. I don't really feel the need to bench press double my body weight but I am very fit. I climb mountains and do long distance ocean swimming.

What are people's thoughts on Crossfit being geared more toward strength or more toward fitness?
                Overall, CrossFit is geared more towards overall fitness. I think that you'll find both your mountain climbing and your swimming will improve with CrossFit. Some people use CrossFit as their sport. However, the original intention was for CrossFit to help improve your sport. For you, that would probably mean more CrossFit in the winter months when you can't get outside as often and less CrossFit during the summer.

Comment

This is extremely helpful information. Thank you. I have a choice of three boxes in my area. Perhaps I can get in to try each out for a day and then decide.
                  That's what I would do.

As for the cost, yes, CrossFit is expensive. We charge $150 with discounted rates for students, military, law enforcement, etc. However, I believe it's totally worth it. Most of our classes have fewer than 10 people in them. Between the trainers and the more experienced members, you're pretty much guaranteed to get some one-on-one training.

Comment

Originally posted by MathFit View Post
                    Overall, CrossFit is geared more towards overall fitness.
                    Crossfit is geared more towards random circuits, completed for time, without any logic behind the programming

I think that you'll find both your mountain climbing and your swimming will improve with CrossFit.
                    ...for a little while if you're a rank novice. Kind of like how riding a bicycle will make your bench press improve if you're a rank novice.

Some people use CrossFit as their sport.
                    although, oddly, I understand that most of the top competitors use Outlaw training to prepare for CrossFit competition, not CrossFit. Or you could say that's not odd at all...

However, the original intention was for CrossFit to help improve your sport.
                    The original intention of CrossFit was for Greg Glassman to make millions of dollars by selling circuit training to the masses as if it were something new or revolutionary.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Crossfit is geared more towards random circuits, completed for time, without any logic behind the programming
                      That is not necessarily true for all CrossFit gyms. My programming is very well thought out and while it may appear random from the outside, it is not without logic.

...for a little while if you're a rank novice. Kind of like how riding a bicycle will make your bench press improve if you're a rank novice.
                      Again, not necessarily true. Yes, people who are new to CrossFit, or any fitness program, will see great improvement at the beginning with the rate of improvement decreasing over time. However, I've been doing CrossFit for 4 years and I continue to see improvement in both my strength and metabolic conditioning.

although, oddly, I understand that most of the top competitors use Outlaw training to prepare for CrossFit competition, not CrossFit. Or you could say that's not odd at all...
                      Outlaw is based on CrossFit. It's just not the main site programming. Many CrossFit gyms don't use the main site programming.

The original intention of CrossFit was for Greg Glassman to make millions of dollars by selling circuit training to the masses as if it were something new or revolutionary.
                      That probably wasn't the original intention. However, if I were to open my own gym now, I would not pay to have CrossFit in the name. I do, however, believe in the philosophy behind CrossFit and don't see any reason to stray from what is working quite well for me and everyone that I train.

Comment

That is not necessarily true for all CrossFit gyms. My programming is very well thought out and while it may appear random from the outside, it is not without logic.
                        Okay, so in what way is non-CrossFit sanctioned programming CrossFit? Did Greg Glassman invent circuit training?

Again, not necessarily true. Yes, people who are new to CrossFit, or any fitness program, will see great improvement at the beginning with the rate of improvement decreasing over time. However, I've been doing CrossFit for 4 years and I continue to see improvement in both my strength and metabolic conditioning.
                        Do you think you're stronger and more metabolically conditioned than you would be if you'd spent 4 years training for strength and an appropriate amount of time training for whatever you're referring to as "metabolic conditioning?" I vote for no.

Outlaw is based on CrossFit. It's just not the main site programming. Many CrossFit gyms don't use the main site programming.
                        Again, if you make the term CrossFit nebulous enough, you can say any training is CrossFit. Is an Olympic Weightlifting workout CrossFit that doesn't follow the main site, or is it something different entirely? I obviously see it as the latter.

That probably wasn't the original intention. However, if I were to open my own gym now, I would not pay to have CrossFit in the name. I do, however, believe in the philosophy behind CrossFit and don't see any reason to stray from what is working quite well for me and everyone that I train.
                        Well, I see the philosophy of CrossFit as inherently flawed. Here's a good article for those that care to know why:
                        T NATION | The Biggest Training Fallacy of All
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I like how people who defend their CrossFit programming always point out that it is not the programming from HQ.

It's like saying Starting Strength has great programming as long as you don't listen to what Mark Rippetoe says about it.

Comment

Well, I see the philosophy of CrossFit as inherently flawed. Here's a good article for those that care to know why:
                            T NATION | The Biggest Training Fallacy of All
                            I read that article, and it makes perfect sense. But I don't understand why you think that Crossfit does not provide people with progressively greater stressors that stimulate adaptation.

My journal

Comment

Crossfit isn't for everyone. Just as paleo/primal has haters, so does Crossfit.

I do it because it's fun, and makes me better at the other sports I do... ski, snowboard, hike, mountain bike, swim, Lift Heavy Things (like rocks) in my yard. I don't ever intend to compete in anything more than the Crossfit Open, and my workouts help me maintain a fitness level that's much higher than 99% of the rest of the US population. I don't have the genetic gift nor the motivation to be an elite athlete, I just want to be able to do the things I enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by diene View Post
                                I read that article, and it makes perfect sense. But I don't understand why you think that Crossfit does not provide people with progressively greater stressors that stimulate adaptation.
                                Because CrossFit does not provide people with progressively greater stressors that stimulate adaptation. Is Fran incrementally loadable?

Try this one if the last one didn't make that sufficiently clear:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...hrows_down&cr=
                                Last edited by RichMahogany; 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X