No announcement yet.

Doing a Flip at 30+?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be awesome, but looks really hard and scary. I can't even get over my stupid mental block (aka, fear) of handstands.

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by diene View Post
      Would be awesome, but looks really hard and scary. I can't even get over my stupid mental block (aka, fear) of handstands.
      I'm 31, fit and have the same mental block regarding handstands... I'm working on it.

Comment

Where are these tutorials I was promised?

Actually I looked up "back flip tutorial" but I dont think that was anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          Where are these tutorials I was promised?

Actually I looked up "back flip tutorial" but I dont think that was anthony
          I have a write up and video linked in my first post in this thread, if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
            I have a write up and video linked in my first post in this thread, if that helps.
            Ahhh, was reading on my kindle and the hyperlink didn't show. Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by LuisNabais View Post
              I'm 31, fit and have the same mental block regarding handstands... I'm working on it.
              I love handstands. I just have a fear of coming down on my head in case of a more complex maneuver.

Comment

Alright. I've never done a standing on ground backflip, but I'm in. I will post a pic within the next 30 days .

Comment

Alright. I've never done a standing on ground backflip, but I'm in. I will post a pic within the next 30 days .
                  Yeah! Let me know if you need a hand with anything. Be safe. But bold.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

Totally landed the first one! ..... with my face.

Comment

Not ground flips, but have you seen the 80 yo gymnast? She's amazing!
                      Johanna Quaas - oldest active Gymnast of the World! - YouTube
                      In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
                      Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Totally landed the first one! ..... with my face.
                        Get more height, stay in your tuck longer. If you want to post a video I'll talk you through it.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                          Get more height, stay in your tuck longer. If you want to post a video I'll talk you through it.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
                          May give that a shot. Both those are issues I'm sure.... other thing is my tendency to extend my head and neck to find the ground before ever going into tuck. Its a fear based movement I'm sure cause when on the trampoline (even doing the back flip without bonce) I can do it without the head movement. Then again the trampoline also throws off the timing of the real thing I'm sure.

I'll keep at it. That first landing (more hands and chest than complete face) was still rough enough that I called it quits for the day. This weekend I'll give the ground a few more shots.

Comment

May give that a shot. Both those are issues I'm sure.... other thing is my tendency to extend my head and neck to find the ground before ever going into tuck. Its a fear based movement I'm sure cause when on the trampoline (even doing the back flip without bonce) I can do it without the head movement. Then again the trampoline also throws off the timing of the real thing I'm sure.

I'll keep at it. That first landing (more hands and chest than complete face) was still rough enough that I called it quits for the day. This weekend I'll give the ground a few more shots.
                            It's a lot of discipline when you're trying to learn one on your own; your body tell you "Holy hell we are NOT meant to be upside down right now!", so you're fighting that. If you hit your positions and stay in them you'll make it fine, but you have to overcome your natural reaction to freak out. Good mental stuff.

Comment

I want to flip, too. I'll be 30 in November. I wonder if I can do one by then...
                              The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

There's a lot of videos on YouTube giving various progressions for this.

If I had a coach and facilities like this one, I'm sure I could learn it.

Last edited by eKatherine; 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X