Scenario based fitness 1. Zombies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario based fitness 1. Zombies

You have 6 weeks to physically prepare yourself for the zombie outbreak.
    Your starting point is at your residence, so base your training off where you live, and for those 6 weeks, what equipment you have access to,
    The zombies will run at a average jogging pace, but will NEVER tire. As usual, a kill shot to the brain is the only way to permanently kill them and bites and scratches, that result in the transfer of zombie blood, turn you into a zombie.

Go.

Hmmmm wonder if I can get a flamethrower & a Gatling gun on freecycle?
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I would rather become a zombie. Much higher rate of survival.
      Few but ripe.

Comment

I would load up my back pack with weight and go to the park, run hill sprints every other day. Every day I would climb trees and my house and fences to have insane climbing strength, I would lose weight so I could stay lite, and I would do Squats with whatever I could, and pushups, and swing a heavy sledge hammer every day....rest and prepare....

Comment

Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post
          I would rather become a zombie. Much higher rate of survival.
          Lol. Yeah as much as I would LOVE to be a badass, I can't even sustain a comfortable jog, so there's that, according to these rules! 6 weeks would not be long enough. They'd catch up in about 120.26599 seconds. Plus I'm a certified wimp when it comes to horror films (and anything running towards the person in horror films, especially zombie/infected fasties), I can't imagine if it happened IRL.

Comment

This is a funny post! I would definitely be the person to trip and not be able to get up for 5 minutes 😝

Comment

Zombies are why I started doing crossfit to supplement my Wendler 5/3/1 lifting!

I'd start doing all exercise wearing a weight vest, wrist and ankle weight bands, and a rucksack. I would drop 5/3/1 and focus on bodyweight (plus the extra weight being worn) exercises.

Once the zombies arrived, I'd armour up to reduce likelihood of zombification through minor scratches. My 6 week training would hopefully allow me to move (especially climb) wearing armour, a pack (containing essentials), and carrying weapons.

Comment

What is the goal here? If the zombies came, you would survive longer by turning your house into a fortress rather than leaving. If the goal is to be physically prepared to run from your house, where are you running to? Regardless of how fit you are, you will get tired and the zombies won't.

Now if I had one of these, now your talking!

Randal
                AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

I'm going to drive to FL and then hide behind Cori and take orders.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                    What is the goal here? If the zombies came, you would survive longer by turning your house into a fortress rather than leaving. If the goal is to be physically prepared to run from your house, where are you running to? Regardless of how fit you are, you will get tired and the zombies won't.
                    This very serious question relates purely to physical training. Yes, you would fortify your home and stockpile goods (although that would be dependent on where you lived e.g. an apartment in a high rise would not be worth defending unless you protected the entire building, not to mention the increased risk of being in a more densely populated area with limited open space...), but in terms of long term survivability, you would need to be able to move efficiently whilst carrying additional weight over varied terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by maclrc View Post
                      you would need to be able to move efficiently whilst carrying additional weight over varied terrain.
                      Not to be argumentative but, again, move where? I can see leaving your fortress to forage for food and that would become more difficult when the fuel supplies became unusable and you had to do it on foot but in this scenario of a zombie outbreak, unless you are moving to a deserted island, moving over long distances on foot will do nothing more than get you killed.

Again, regardless of how good a physical condition you are in, you will tire, the zombies won't.
                      Randal

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                        Not to be argumentative but, again, move where? I can see leaving your fortress to forage for food and that would become more difficult when the fuel supplies became unusable and you had to do it on foot but in this scenario of a zombie outbreak, unless you are moving to a deserted island, moving over long distances on foot will do nothing more than get you killed.

Again, regardless of how good a physical condition you are in, you will tire, the zombies won't.
                        Yes, the varied terrain training would be utilised whilst foraging for food. I agree that a nomad type existence would lead to a quick and grisly death, and then undeath.

Comment

Seeing as I started this post ill pitch in.

I would continue my barbell training for for 1-2 days per week, cycling between sledgehammer (shovelglove) training and barbell, ABA BAB sorta deal, with bodyweight work thrown in.

On the off days, except 1 complete rest day I would dedicate it to any form of cardio. Intervals, Sprints, running.

Comment

this sounds fun.

i'd definitely live in a weighted vest or backpack for six weeks. i would do sprints, but only as part of persistence running. actually, the Zombies, Run! app (iphone...not sure about other devices) is great for this since you randomly get chased by zombies and have to speed up to outrun them. i'd do lots of hill and trail work, since i assume the zombies don't have the best agility.

oh, all running would be done carrying an axe.

for strength, i'd go with sandbags, rocks, logs and plyo bodyweight work...plus plenty of sledgehammer slams (axe training). just keep lifting, pushing and pulling heavier and harder.
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I would focus my training on working with weapons that I would need given this scenario. Since guns are noisy and ammunition would be limited, I would train for using things like machetes and swords. Shovelglove would be a good one for that type of training.

I would also build up my endurance on a bicycle. A mountain bike with a cargo trailer would be good for foraging, not as prone to break down as a car and would give you more range than walking would. I would load down the cargo trailer with something like sandbags, to simulate carrying a load of provisions back and high speeds. Then could use the sandbags for physical training in other ways.

However, this is also predicated on if you had the fast zombies (Resident Evil types) or slow zombies (Night of the Living Dead). Being exposed on a bike might not be the best option with the fast zombies, but would work with the slow ones pretty well.
                              Randal

Comment

Working...
                              X