Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to lift?

Hello all!
    I am wondering how long before lifting again if my muscles are really sore? I am wanting to lift every other day, three days a week but on the day of lifting my legs and arms are still really sore. Should I wait? Can I lift anyway?

You may and actually should lift anyway. It will help the soreness in the short term, and you won't find this is as much of a problem in the long term.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

every other day, 3 days a week is a decent schedule. honestly, I think everyone is different. personally, i'm pretty much always sore somewhere from my lifts. and I usually only lift twice per week. that's just my body. some people don't get very much DOMS at all.

Comment

Don't be afraid of some soreness, it will very often go away after a good warmup...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

It depends on you. If you lift without consideration of your body's responses and recovery, you could mess up your training.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            It depends on you. If you lift without consideration of your body's responses and recovery, you could mess up your training.
            That's true, of course. But soreness is a poor indicator. Extra warm-ups are the order of the day, not skipped workouts.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              That's true, of course. But soreness is a poor indicator. Extra warm-ups are the order of the day, not skipped workouts.
              Why would someone skip a workout? Finding the ideal workout frequency should be the first thing one does when starting training.

If I exercised sore, I'd have ended up quitting not long after I started. That wouldn't work for me at all.

Comment

Why would someone skip a workout? Finding the ideal workout frequency should be the first thing one does when starting training.

If I exercised sore, I'd have ended up quitting not long after I started. That wouldn't work for me at all.
                Well, you can choose to do something that's not optimal because you find it more enjoyable, but I was answering the question (which asked about working out while sore vs skipping a workout in the 3-a-week setup the OP was interested in) from a results-oriented standpoint.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Another method to get less sore; train more often! Athletes that train twice a day seldom get sore...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Well, you can choose to do something that's not optimal because you find it more enjoyable, but I was answering the question (which asked about working out while sore vs skipping a workout in the 3-a-week setup the OP was interested in) from a results-oriented standpoint.
                    You can make decisions on what you are going to do for a workout. But you can't change your body's need for recovery based on what works for someone else. That's what my answer was based on. Just because I wanted to do your workout doesn't mean I could make it work for me.

There really isn't anything in that question that talks about skipping workouts. Longer rest when sore is also a reasonable interpretation.

Comment

You can make decisions on what you are going to do for a workout. But you can't change your body's need for recovery based on what works for someone else. That's what my answer was based on. Just because I wanted to do your workout doesn't mean I could make it work for me.

There really isn't anything in that question that talks about skipping workouts. Longer rest when sore is also a reasonable interpretation.
                      And my point was that soreness is a poor indicator in where one is in the recovery cycle. Recovery's a biochemical issue, not a "how your muscles feel" issue.

I'm assuming the OP is a novice lifter (or he'd already have figured out the answers to his question). Novices get really sore, and stay that way. And the best cure for soreness is another workout, like Gorbag alluded to. The worst thing he could do for progress is decide to wait until all soreness is gone before working out again, because it would fail to take advantage of the optimum point in the supercompensation cycle to provide his muscles an additional stimulus.

Please see the following: Stress (biology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure what distinction you're drawing between longer rest and skipping a workout. If I'm supposed to work out 3 times in a week, but I decide to get some "longer rest" and only work out 2 times in a week, I call that skipping a workout. If you call it something else, that's fine too, but not necessarily informative.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

And my point was that soreness is a poor indicator in where one is in the recovery cycle. Recovery's a biochemical issue, not a "how your muscles feel" issue.

I'm not sure what distinction you're drawing between longer rest and skipping a workout. If I'm supposed to work out 3 times in a week, but I decide to get some "longer rest" and only work out 2 times in a week, I call that skipping a workout. If you call it something else, that's fine too, but not necessarily informative.
                        this. very much this.

Comment

Training twice a day sounds good. How to go about putting together a routine for that? I tried downloading apps and going to different websites to put together routines and it was an over load of info.

Can I repeat what I'm doing twice in one day?

Squats
                          Bench presses
                          Bar rows bent over
                          Good Mornings

I couldn't figure out how to load the bar on the floor so no dead lifts.
                          I can only do squats until I can no longer lift the bar and weights over my head. Squat racks are spendy.

I have great weights/olympic bar and some dumbbells. I just didn't/don't know what to do with them besides what I do now.

Comment

Sounds like you're a novice lifter, and I'd recommend a novice linear progression. The idea, unfortunately, is not to minimize soreness, but to maximize progress. I personally like Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. Buy the book regardless of what program you choose, however. It will help teach you how to perform the barbell lifts correctly.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Also I'm a woman and yes, very new to lifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X