Why did my morning run went wong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did my morning run went wong?

I went running early this morning like I always do. When I got back home, I felt very sick. I was nauseous, had severe stomach pain, felt dizzy, fainted and my body was shaking from head to toes. And I had white spots on my cheeks while the rest of my face was dark pink.

What's up with that? I feel mad about it. What went wrong, why?

This never happenend to me before and I am clueless as to what went on. I run every week, about 20 min 5K and walk before and after. I also sprint at the end. I always feel great after, energized and happy for the rest of the day.

The only thing that was different today is that it was very humid, raining a little. I felt like there was no oxyegn to breathe, only water. It was hotter too. Not crazy hot (24C or 75F). I'm not used to running in warmer weather, as it's been cold here forever, usually about 10C or 50F early morning. Also, I was wearing a cap, never do, but it was to keep the rain out of my eyes.

Please, share your toughts/advice.
    Last edited by Waterlily; 06-01-2013, 07:48 AM.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Do you feel better now?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Possible explanations:

1. Mineral/electrolyte depletion. You need adequate sodium (if you are doing VLC you need to supplement through extra salt) Magnesium, Potassium.

2. Glycogen depletion

3. Not enough calories/energy

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpycakes View Post
        Do you feel better now?
        Yes, thanks. It lasted about an hour and a half. I took two extra strenght Advil and lots of fluids. I still have one white spot left on my cheek but I feel fine.

Comment

More carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
            Possible explanations:

1. Mineral/electrolyte depletion. You need adequate sodium (if you are doing VLC you need to supplement through extra salt) Magnesium, Potassium.

2. Glycogen depletion

3. Not enough calories/energy
            I do take a lot of magnesium. I did read something about potassium and runners.
            I will look up the other explanations you are suggesting. Sure don't want to experience this again.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpycakes View Post
              More carbs.
              You think?
              I eat a lot of carbs... love fruits and honey! Don't mind eating more!
              I went on an empty stomach, I always do, it's my prefered way for running.

Comment

I dunno, low-carb is usually to blame for problems on here, so I just guessed. Try starches?

Comment

Hypoglycemia maybe, or what Graycat says...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

It appears that you are running a sub 7 minute mile which is quite good so I'm assuming you are fairly lean and fit. Stomach cramps, fainting and nausea can be symptomatic of many things including low blood pressure, dehydration, electrolyte deficiencies, even heart problems. It could even be the early onset of the flu which would manifest itself over the next day or so. I suggest that if this happens again you should get an exercise stress test done just to be safe. See how your heart response to stress, you could have a congenital condition you are not aware of. But my best guess is that its electrolytes, you may be drinking a too much water which would dilute your electrolyte ratios.
                    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Thank you Canuck!

I'm not very fit yet. I used to be. I'm 5'3'' 110 lbs, lean not skinny. I've strated jogging again a few monts ago and love it like I used to. My guess, after reading about a few things so far, is dehydration. I've never experienced this before so I don't think it's a heart thing. Better not be. I think it was too hot and humid outside for me. The change in temperature is very drastic. I will be very careful next time I run in hot/humid weather.

And, I have very low blood pressure. Don't know what to do about it. My Dr always jokes about it: I don't know how you can stand up! She says... but no tips on how to improve it!

Comment

I think it's the lack of junk food. You need more pizza and donuts. Lord knows that if you start eating real food that it's a risky venture and anything negative that happens to you healthwise after such a reckless endangerment of your health MUST be to blame. Get some cookies and McDonald's in you right away!
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yes... immediately when I read your post I said, she is dehydrated. It happens to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterlily View Post

The only thing that was different today is that it was very humid, raining a little. I felt like there was no oxyegn to breathe, only water. It was hotter too. Not crazy hot (24C or 75F). I'm not used to running in warmer weather, as it's been cold here forever, usually about 10C or 50F early morning. Also, I was wearing a cap, never do, but it was to keep the rain out of my eyes.

Please, share your toughts/advice.

I lived in Florida for a few years & found that humid weather, particularly Hot Humid Weather just sucked the energy right out of me and seemed to lead to dehydration (sweating) really fast so my guess would be that it may be a lot to do with that,
                            ie dehydration & loss of electrolytes.
                            Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by JulieRUNS View Post
                              Yes... immediately when I read your post I said, she is dehydrated. It happens to me.
                              It happened to you?
                              Please share!
                              I feel like an idiot who can't take good care of herself. I shouldn't have put myself at risk for it. I should know better.

Comment

Working...
                              X