Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stronglifts 5x5 question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • stronglifts 5x5 question.

    Howdey..


    I gave in.and started doing stronglifts 5x5. Im making good progress and im 6 weels in. My goals are strength and muscle.
    The question i have is, alot of people have a problem with stronglifts volume, and because of that, i should switch to starting strength. But SS is a but different to SL and their forum borders on cultish sometimes...
    So I was thinking on switching SL 5X5 to 3x5 and continuing from there.
    Or should i just continue as is?
    Im a 19 yo male

  • #2
    Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
    Howdey..


    I gave in.and started doing stronglifts 5x5. Im making good progress and im 6 weels in. My goals are strength and muscle.
    The question i have is, alot of people have a problem with stronglifts volume, and because of that, i should switch to starting strength. But SS is a but different to SL and their forum borders on cultish sometimes...
    So I was thinking on switching SL 5X5 to 3x5 and continuing from there.
    Or should i just continue as is?
    Im a 19 yo male
    You don't want to do the Starting Strength program because of the forums?
    The Champagne of Beards

    Comment


    • #3
      Its not that, I worded that wrong.
      But, its hard to get a reliable, no BS opinion on the difference between the two because the SS members are incredibly one sided riptoe worshippers. Plus I dont know how to do power cleans, i like pendlay rows and im literally THAT POOR that i cant afford the SS books.
      Look, im happy with SL but im starting to doubt it due to all the hate it gets.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
        Its not that, I worded that wrong.
        But, its hard to get a reliable, no BS opinion on the difference between the two because the SS members are incredibly one sided riptoe worshippers. Plus I dont know how to do power cleans, i like pendlay rows and im literally THAT POOR that i cant afford the SS books.
        Look, im happy with SL but im starting to doubt it due to all the hate it gets.
        The book is $10 on Kindle. You can find the format of the workouts presetned accurately on blackironbeast.com

        Barbell rows are a great exercise, but make a poor substitute for power cleans. No substitute at all, really. But if you don't want to do them, don't.

        What would your current routine look like if you switched from 5x5 to 3x5? Maybe we can make suggestions for other useful modifications in addition to dropping the last 2 sets.
        The Champagne of Beards

        Comment


        • #5
          I would just progress with SL and switch to 3x5 or 3x3 once you stall... 3? times, I forget when Mehdi suggests switching.

          FWIW I think both forums can be a bit cultish, but I've never really bothered with either.

          Comment


          • #6
            My current routine is exactly as SL prescribes.

            A
            squat 5x5
            bench 5x5
            row 5x5

            B
            " "
            press 5x5
            dead 1x5

            Ontop, occasional isolation exercises.
            The reason for the switch to 3x5 is to simply hold of stalling for aslong as possible. Plus it leaves me more time in the gym for assistance stuff IF NEED BE.

            other then that, my diet is good as is sleep.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by boomingno View Post
              I would just progress with SL and switch to 3x5 or 3x3 once you stall... 3? times, I forget when Mehdi suggests switching.

              FWIW I think both forums can be a bit cultish, but I've never really bothered with either.
              Me neither, I prefer MDA

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                My current routine is exactly as SL prescribes.

                A
                squat 5x5
                bench 5x5
                row 5x5

                B
                " "
                press 5x5
                dead 1x5

                Ontop, occasional isolation exercises.
                The reason for the switch to 3x5 is to simply hold of stalling for aslong as possible. Plus it leaves me more time in the gym for assistance stuff IF NEED BE.

                other then that, my diet is good as is sleep.
                I like the idea of switching to 3 x 5 if you still have novice (linear) gains available. What are your current lifts and bodyweight?
                The Champagne of Beards

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just switch to 3x5. Keep doing rows if you like them.
                  In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

                  This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    I like the idea of switching to 3 x 5 if you still have novice (linear) gains available. What are your current lifts and bodyweight?
                    Bodyweight - 78 kg.

                    Current lifts in KG
                    Squat - 52.5
                    dead - 70
                    row - 47.5
                    bench 37.5
                    press - 35

                    keep in mind these arent 1 rep maxes. Just the latest weights ive moved on the program.
                    I think i will switch to 3x5

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                      Current lifts in KG
                      Squat - 52.5
                      dead - 70
                      row - 47.5
                      bench 37.5
                      press - 35

                      keep in mind these arent 1 rep maxes. Just the latest weights ive moved on the program.
                      I think i will switch to 3x5
                      I like 3 x 5 better, but even 5 x 5 of these shouldn't be knocking you out too badly, unless you weigh 40 kg. Lots of room for linear progress, just make sure you keep eating and sleeping and adding weight to the bar.
                      The Champagne of Beards

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        switching rep schemes to reverse pyramid training is another option

                        say you bench 185x5 as your 5RM

                        you would warmup properly then bench 185 x 5. Take as much rest as required to recover then

                        Remove ~10% of the weight (I like to round down to keep intensity) So 18.5 = 15 lbs.

                        Bench 170 x 6. Because you've removed the 10%, it is right around the amount required to get one more rep than previous set.

                        Continue... 150 x 7. 135 x 8.

                        You want to have sufficient volume to grow... 24-30 reps is a good "sweet spot". With this method, you've completed 4 sets, all to your 5/6/7/8 RM, and hit that volume sweet spot for growth (26 reps total).

                        I prefer this over straight set reps, but the exercises themselves that stronglifts recommends are still crucial

                        Finding your 5RM to start is important obviously.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You guys are awesome, this forum is awesome.
                          What I plan to do is switch to 3x5 but stay on SL and keep it up for aslong as possible. Then start getting a bit more creative with the rep schemes in due time.

                          My goals atm are Strength with a secondary focus on muscle mass, but that generally comes with the territory if i eat well right?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What I like about SS vs SL is that on SS you're moving heavier weights quicker.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by H2ODawgs View Post
                              What I like about SS vs SL is that on SS you're moving heavier weights quicker.
                              How so? is it because of less volume?

                              If I were to drop to 3x5, I'm practically doing SS minus the power cleans and instead rows. So, isn't that a good thing right?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X