Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, why men won't lift weights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'd like to see the exact quote.
    He said it in this video, but it's an hour long and I don't remember when he said it. He's interviewing a creationist who says that a Darwinian society would be awful, and he agrees, but he says let's understand how Darwinism works so we can instead create the kind of society we want to live in. He might have said he believes in socialism, I'm not sure.

    Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Altruism is a biological reality, and not just for humans. It's a product of natural selection, and if you had read the book you would understand how altruism can actually have a positive influence on the ability of genes to replicate and survive.
    Let me take a stab at it. There's some animal (it might be prairie dogs) where an individual will sacrifice itself by screaming to warn the others of predators. Why would that behavior evolve? Well, it turns out that the likelihood of it happening is proportional to how closely related the animal is to the others around it. It appears as altruism to us, but really the individual is just trying to ensure the survival of its genes, whatever animal they happen to be in. Is that the right idea? (If it's too much to explain, don't worry about it.)

    Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I remember seeing a quote where Dawkins had wished he had named the book "The Altruistic Gene" or something like that. I think you're misjudging a book by its cover.
    I'm not judging it at all, at least not negatively. I think Dawkins is the man.

    Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I don't know what NationStates is.
    I thought I was the last person on earth to discover it. It's just an online nation simulation game where you're presented with issues and you have to decide how to handle them. It's interesting because it really shows how there are legitimate points on both sides of everything.

    Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    This is a retarded idea.
    I'm surprised to hear you say that, as much as you hate pussies who don't get under the bar. If you don't want to glorify physical weakness, why glorify economic weakness? I'm not saying we should actually execute homeless people, but it's arguably better than socialism. As with most things, the best option is probably somewhere in the middle.
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

    Comment


    • Real quick question perhaps outdated at this point in the thread.. I know skinny jeans are apparently a no-no for dudes, but where is the line drawn for the skinniness of the jeans? Are 'slim fit' jeans okay?

      Because personally I like how slim-fits show off my meaty man-quads that I've acquired with months of relatively low (past parrallel but probably not 'ATG' by strict standards) squatting.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by PrimalHunter View Post
        Let me take a stab at it. There's some animal (it might be prairie dogs) where an individual will sacrifice itself by screaming to warn the others of predators. Why would that behavior evolve? Well, it turns out that the likelihood of it happening is proportional to how closely related the animal is to the others around it. It appears as altruism to us, but really the individual is just trying to ensure the survival of its genes, whatever animal they happen to be in. Is that the right idea? (If it's too much to explain, don't worry about it.)
        That's certainly part of it. Certain insects have even more complex examples, especially in cases where individuals are effectively clones.

        Originally posted by PrimalHunter View Post

        I'm surprised to hear you say that, as much as you hate pussies who don't get under the bar. If you don't want to glorify physical weakness, why glorify economic weakness? I'm not saying we should actually execute homeless people, but it's arguably better than socialism. As with most things, the best option is probably somewhere in the middle.
        How are people who choose to make a go of things on their own, with less reliance on infrastructure analogous to people who would rather watch American Idol and eat ice cream? I fail to see the correlation.

        Originally posted by JamesTheIdolStevens View Post
        Real quick question perhaps outdated at this point in the thread.. I know skinny jeans are apparently a no-no for dudes, but where is the line drawn for the skinniness of the jeans? Are 'slim fit' jeans okay?

        Because personally I like how slim-fits show off my meaty man-quads that I've acquired with months of relatively low (past parrallel but probably not 'ATG' by strict standards) squatting.
        Wearing skin-tight "skinny jeans" to show off complete lack of muscle tone ====> man fail
        Wearing tightly fitting, normal-cut jeans (slim fit, et al.) to show off quads from squatting ===> acceptable
        Being unable to fit in slim fit jeans at all due to massive legs ===> commendable
        The Champagne of Beards

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          Wearing tightly fitting, normal-cut jeans (slim fit, et al.) to show off quads from squatting ===> acceptable
          That's a bit of a contradiction. If you've been squatting some reasonable weight, "slim" and your legs don't mix.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            That's certainly part of it. Certain insects have even more complex examples, especially in cases where individuals are effectively clones.



            How are people who choose to make a go of things on their own, with less reliance on infrastructure analogous to people who would rather watch American Idol and eat ice cream? I fail to see the correlation.



            Wearing skin-tight "skinny jeans" to show off complete lack of muscle tone ====> man fail
            Wearing tightly fitting, normal-cut jeans (slim fit, et al.) to show off quads from squatting ===> acceptable
            Being unable to fit in slim fit jeans at all due to massive legs ===> commendable
            I read this is in the voice of those old "priceless" MasterCard commercials

            Obviously I'm not attracted to a skinny man over a built man based on his skinniness, but I've spent the year in the Netherlands and there are some beyond-lanky guys with little stick legs (like I could wrap my hands around the thigh) and little pants who look damn fine, and it never enters my mind that they're in any way less manly (or less-of-a-man, if that makes a difference) than more muscular men.

            I was at a cross-dressing party the other day. This tall Indian guy showed up in spandex tights. I mean his lower body could've belonged to a female model were it not for the bulge. Sorry but my heart was a-flutter. No homo (female).

            Comment


            • Originally posted by quikky View Post
              That's a bit of a contradiction. If you've been squatting some reasonable weight, "slim" and your legs don't mix.
              Fact: Men should strive to hulk their damn legs straight through any "slim fit" jeans. But wearing baggy jeans before you out-squat your slim cut jeans is no good either. Because baggy jeans look terrible.
              The Champagne of Beards

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Fact: Men should strive to hulk their damn legs straight through any "slim fit" jeans. But wearing baggy jeans before you out-squat your slim cut jeans is no good either. Because baggy jeans look terrible.
                However, due to economic concerns, if one were to spend money on jeans while doing squats, baggier is always better. Baggier means you start with too much fluff, but will fill them out. Slimmer means you start with some tightness, and will need new jeans.

                Speaking of tightness, my adductors have become monstrous. Me at a clothing store:

                Clerk: "May I help you?"
                Me: "What jeans do you recommend with extra room in the inner thigh?"
                Clerk: "...Uhm" ::looks between my legs awkwardly::

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Fact: Men should strive to hulk their damn legs straight through any "slim fit" jeans. But wearing baggy jeans before you out-squat your slim cut jeans is no good either. Because baggy jeans look terrible.
                  Additional fact: Saying the size of a t-shirt is "men's small" is an oxymoron
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by quikky View Post
                    However, due to economic concerns, if one were to spend money on jeans while doing squats, baggier is always better. Baggier means you start with too much fluff, but will fill them out. Slimmer means you start with some tightness, and will need new jeans.
                    Maybe he already had the slim fit jeans.
                    The Champagne of Beards

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Maybe he already had the slim fit jeans.
                      Then he is finally hitting puberty and can buy jeans from the men's section

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by quikky View Post
                        Then he is finally hitting puberty and can buy jeans from the men's section
                        And he should stop at the grocery store for several gallons of milk on his way home...
                        The Champagne of Beards

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          And he should stop at the grocery store for several gallons of milk on his way home...
                          You're a good man, Rich.

                          Comment


                          • Wearing skin-tight "skinny jeans" to show off complete lack of muscle tone ====> man fail
                            Wearing tightly fitting, normal-cut jeans (slim fit, et al.) to show off quads from squatting ===> acceptable
                            Being unable to fit in slim fit jeans at all due to massive legs ===> commendable
                            Rich, we could be the Primal "What Not to Wear".

                            By the way, if these are your only option:
                            Zubaz.com: Embrace the Awesomeness of Zubaz. Zubaz Pants, Zebra Pants, Striped Pants, Zubaz Shorts, Zubaz Pant, Zoobaz, Zubas, Zoobas.
                            Your quads are plenty big. Go do some bicep curls.

                            http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                            Comment


                            • I think quikky's got a pair of those on right now!
                              The Champagne of Beards

                              Comment


                              • That's why they make SPANDEX fellas... it stretches!

                                It comes in denim flavor too...
                                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X