No announcement yet.

So, why men won't lift weights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all lose lean muscle mass as we age. At some point that in and of itself becomes a health threath. Lifting weights is a way to counter that decline. Most men my age have middles that are larger than their shoulders. That is not only adding fat to the middle it is losing muscle on top. I lift three days a week to avoid that. Arms one day, abs and legs the next, shoulders the third. Keeping that lean muscle mass means sprinting across the street when I need to. Lifting that water bottle and putting in the stand for that lovely young lady. Attacting rich widows who know a hard man is hard to find...

Comment

• Originally posted by Allenete View Post
      Wow this thread is both amusing and horrifying. So many people here are the reason feminism *and* the backlash against it emerged. So many people here are the reasons behind gender stereotypes...
      Feminism emerged because people thought men should be strong?

Originally posted by Allenete View Post
      Saying men should/shouldn't be something...? I get angry at that just as much as I'd get angry at someone saying that a woman should provide her man with a hot meal when he gets home from work. Or that a real woman should have curves. There must be a hell of a lot confused people out there not knowing WHAT they are/should be.... Oh wait, that's actually true!
      You're confusing social expectations with biological ones. Women working in the kitchen is an old societal stereotype/expectation. Men being physically strong is biology. A man is naturally strong, unless he chooses to sit on his ass and not express what his genes intended.

It makes you angry that people here think men should be strong? Why? You think it's okay for men to be weak? Why? What's the positive of men being weak? What's the positive of women being weak too, while we're at it? Was Grok a weakling?

Originally posted by Allenete View Post
      Disgusting.
      What's disgusting is saying weakness is a-okay. Maybe if more people thought it's not, we wouldn't have such a weak and unhealthy society.

Comment

• Originally posted by quikky View Post
        What's disgusting is saying weakness is a-okay.
        +1
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
          some women bathe in placenta to retain youth, i bathe in the tears of weakened men
          I totally laughed out loud at this.
          Originally posted by Green Deane View Post
          Lifting that water bottle and putting in the stand for that lovely young lady.
          I like to do this for the old ladies at work.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• This thread is ridiculous. Jeeze louise - Lift if you want to, don't if you don't. I'll take being down-to-earth over brains or brawn, thanks.

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
            Hey does anyone have a chart of testosterone in the states, 50s to present?

It probably moves inversely with women's rights.
            Right, because as soon as you let women out of the kitchen it demasculates men?

Originally posted by quikky View Post
            What's disgusting is saying weakness is a-okay. Maybe if more people thought it's not, we wouldn't have such a weak and unhealthy society.
            Newsflash: there's plenty of unhealthy people who lift weights.
            Last edited by YogaBare; 06-01-2013, 11:30 AM.
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
              Newsflash: there's plenty of unhealthy people who lift weights.
              ... And your point is?

Comment

• Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                So many people here are the reasons behind gender stereotypes...
                Nature is the reason behind gender stereotypes.

Comment

Right, because as soon as you let women out of the kitchen it demasculates men?
                  Meh perhaps, I wouldn't throw out possibilities just because they go against American conventional wisdom. Everything in nature is connected and changes to one thing change multiple other things.

Yes, I am aware American thought can't entertain that "women's rights" might not have been a good thing. For example there's a study out of Wharton called "the paradox of declining female happiness"; as women's rights increased, women's happiness decreased. Nature not falling in line with mans-kinds plan pisses people off.

I'm just pointing out what has happened in the United States; for decades there has been an odd maculating of woman, with constant propaganda and positive reinforcement for being "a strong American woman" happening simultaneous with constant emasculating of man with wussy characters flooding TV and movies (see Jessie Eisenberg). Life imitates art.

I'm not saying that Americans recognize this is happening, as most people don't normally see their own culture.

I'm just saying its so odd dammit!

Well there's my weird morning coffee thoughts, feminists and rabid nationalists may now proceed to go crazy...

Comment

• Originally posted by quikky View Post
                    ... And your point is?
                    Didn't you just say:

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                    If more people lifted weights, we'd be healthier as a society?

Not the case. Not everyone who lifts is smart and well-informed like the majority of people on MDA who lift. More people lifting could just equate to more bozos injuring themselves (or taking things to help them get "big"). And (stating the obvious here) exercise is only a component of health. Stress is probably the main culprit of ill health. People lifting when stressed = not a good idea.

Anyway, saying that strength is the most vital tool is a Paleolithic attitude. "Survival of the fittest" applies to the eco system the organism belongs in. Our ecosystems are cities, where it's more likely to be sued than to be trapped in a burning building. In which case Bill Gates' money would come in more useful than someone muscles, however pretty they may be.

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                    Meh perhaps, I wouldn't throw out possibilities just because they go against American conventional wisdom. Everything in nature is connected and changes to one thing change multiple other things.

Yes, I am aware American thought can't entertain that "women's rights" might not have been a good thing. For example there's a study out of Wharton called "the paradox of declining female happiness"; as women's rights increased, women's happiness decreased. Nature not falling in line with mans-kinds plan pisses people off.

I'm just pointing out what has happened in the United States; for decades there has been an odd maculating of woman, with constant propaganda and positive reinforcement for being "a strong American woman" happening simultaneous with constant emasculating of man with wussy characters flooding TV and movies (see Jessie Eisenberg). Life imitates art.

I'm not saying that Americans recognize this is happening, as most people don't normally see their own culture.

I'm just saying its so odd dammit!

Well there's my weird morning coffee thoughts, feminists and rabid nationalists may now proceed to go crazy...
                    Okaaay. I didn't say anything about whether women's lib was a good thing. But actually, I agree with you: a lot of women didn't want to go out to work and were pressured into it by "the movement". They should have been allowed to do what they wanted, same way as the women who did want to work should have been allowed to do that. Same way that men who are naturally sensitive and want to write poetry should do that, and men who want to box should do that...

You get my point?

And there were "effeminate" men since the beginning of time. Look at ancient Greece. Look at the Renaissance. We need the Leonardos as much as the Tokugawa Ieyasus.
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• i would say this:

if more people, regardless of sex/gender, were lifting (body weight or weights or odd objects) correctly, then we would be a healthier lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                        what totally blows my mind is why men won't lift weights
                        I think that a better way of phrasing that would have been "why won't some men do any strength training?" Lifting weights, despite what some may think, isn't the be all end all.

I lifted weights for many years, (always found it excruciatingly boring). When I was training/competing in mma I stopped lifting and focused primarily on bodyweight exercises along with the grappling/mma training. After a while my wife asked me if I was still lifting weights anymore, when I told her that I hadn't been for some time, she told me to keep doing whatever it was that I had been up to because she said that I never looked better.

As far as why you often see a lot of skinny, skinny/fat, sloppy fat, etc. guys who won't work out hard and who would rather plod along on a treadmill rather than do any kind of strength training I suspect that they don't know where to start, don't want to work hard, or quite simply just don't care.

The feminization of men in this country in recent years is the thing that I just don't get. When I owned my grappling/mma gym I remember the first time that I started to see some guys coming in who were competently shaved down. Trimming down excessive chest hair with an electric clipper is one thing but these guys obviously took a razor and shaved off everything, arms, legs, even the backs of their hands?! Some of them were pretty hairy too so I can just imagine how much time and effort it must have taken them every week to shave down.

I thought that I had seen it all but then I started to see guys with nail polish on, and not long after that guys with their toenails painted. I remember joking around with one of the guys at the gym saying "Pretty soon we'll be seeing some of these guys wearing dresses and carrying a purse, and then I started to come across pictures like these:

Funny Pictures at WalMart WWIB: Two Dudes, No Skirts

Funny Pictures at WalMart WWIB: I Feel Pretty

Funny Pictures at WalMart Peace Out Dawg

And then there's this (which really deserves it's own category):

Euro-bags | D Bagging

Welcome to dbagging.com | D Bagging

Another collage some douche made of himself | D Bagging
                        Last edited by Goldust; 06-01-2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Didn't you just say:

If more people lifted weights, we'd be healthier as a society?

Not the case. Not everyone who lifts is smart and well-informed like the majority of people on MDA who lift. More people lifting could just equate to more bozos injuring themselves (or taking things to help them get "big"). And (stating the obvious here) exercise is only a component of health. Stress is probably the main culprit of ill health. People lifting when stressed = not a good idea.
                          So if society as a whole embraced strength training, it would not become healthier because some people would injure themselves? Should people maybe stop getting out of their house too, you know, because some bozo will fall down the stairs or get hit by a bus? Anything done improperly, or by an idiot, has the potential for negative effects.

Also, strength training is awesome for stress. In fact, almost any exercise is awesome for stress. I don't know anyone who feels worse after exercising when they're stressed out. I don't know what you're talking about here.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                          Anyway, saying that strength is the most vital tool is a Paleolithic attitude. "Survival of the fittest" applies to the eco system the organism belongs in. Our ecosystems are cities, where it's more likely to be sued than to be trapped in a burning building. In which case Bill Gates' money would come in more useful than someone muscles, however pretty they may be.
                          No one is arguing that strength is the only thing important in life. That said, strength is important, and almost everyone could benefit from having more of it, especially modern men.

Comment

• I don't think the fashion choices of men are "feminization" per se. We really see a change in men's fashion -- in terms of both color and shape -- at the turn of the 19th century (1800s).

Prior to this era, men wore wigs, make up, lots of lace and fine fabrics, a wide variety of colors, designs, and combinations thereof, fancy shoes, etc. They were not considered "less men" because of how they chose to dress -- this was simply "how men dress" (of course, largely of the upper classes).

There's a shift in the colorways that men wore in the 1800s, and it's pretty much stayed that way since then for the most part, with some groups of men breaking out into more color.

The reality is that none of these things makes a man more or less masculine. Shaving or not shaving (or, in many cases, waxing), nail polish or make-up or none, having a bag or not, wearing skirts (kilts anyone? traditional samoan wraps? etc?), and so on are not less masculine "inherently." it doesn't mean that these men are "feminized."

what it means is that men -- finally -- have choices. you keep just narrowing the gender description. to be a "real man" you have to A. lift, B. be strong, C. be useful to your friends/loved ones/community, D. dress a certain way, E. groom a certain way, etc.

none of this is actually true, any more than this list is true:

Real women: A. have curves; B. wear skirts and dresses, covering most of their bodies from elbows to knees at least; C. need long hair, but must also shave underarms, as well as trim/groom/wax all pubic hair, as well as shave their legs; D. wear make up; E. bear children to be useful to society; etc.

Instead, men who are cis-gendered or trans-gendered men decide what is masculine, what makes them "real men" -- and it may be entirely different than what another "real man" has decided for himself (cis/trans). Likewise, women who are cis/trans gendered decide for themselves -- as individuals -- what makes them 'real women' and it may be entirely different than what another "real woman" has decided for herself.

Got it?

Comment

• Guys also carried swords then...

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

• so if ai guy wears nail polish but carries a weapon, he's a man, but if he doesn't carry a weapon, he's not a man?

do you see the problem here?

Comment

Working...
                                X