No announcement yet.

So, why men won't lift weights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had to play hero on several occasions. It's fun.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Being stronger makes one better at pretty much everything.
      Not for nothing, but I think the likes of Bill Gates would disagree with you there.

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        You guys are one step away from cave man reenactments...

Why can't you just admit that you lift because it gives you a confidence boost? Chances are most of you would crap your pants before running into a burning building.
        It gives me a confidence boost because it gives me an ability boost. The burning building thing is mostly a rhetorical example, obviously. What about moving furniture, or Magnolia's example of being able to manhandle your lady friend (in a mutually enjoyable way, of course)?

Originally posted by Slacker62 View Post
        Not for nothing, but I think the likes of Bill Gates would disagree with you there.
        Okay. I'll stop worrying about being useful when I have a couple trillion dollars and can pay someone to be useful for me. In the meantime, I still blame the hipsters.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Okay. I'll stop worrying about being useful when I have a couple trillion dollars and can pay someone to be useful for me. In the meantime, I still blame the hipsters.
          Ha ha... great comeback! My point of course is simply that we now live in a society where brains often triumphs over brawn... neither of which should be considered a good or a bad thing. It just is what it is. Adaptability is something that I consider to be one of the most important of human traits.

Comment

• My whole thing about being strong, much like training in self-defense/firearms, etc. is:

You might well go your entire life without ever NEEDING to be strong. But that one time you REALLY need it...you'll be really glad you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              My whole thing about being strong, much like training in self-defense/firearms, etc. is:

You might well go your entire life without ever NEEDING to be strong. But that one time you REALLY need it...you'll be really glad you are.
              I agree with the sentiment, but I also feel like strength is inherently useful on a day to day basis. And it's a skill that we can all cultivate. Glorifying weakness is something that truly bothers me, because weakness doesn't do anything for anyone. Even Bill Gates would find it useful if he were stronger. It may not be a priority for him, but it would benefit him.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Glorifying weakness is something that truly bothers me, because weakness doesn't do anything for anyone. Even Bill Gates would find it useful if he were stronger. It may not be a priority for him, but it would benefit him.
                Perhaps, but do you really think that Bill Gates glorifies weakness? Or do you think that he just knows his strengths and capitalized on them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slacker62 View Post
                  Ha ha... great comeback! My point of course is simply that we now live in a society where brains often triumphs over brawn... neither of which should be considered a good or a bad thing. It just is what it is. Adaptability is something that I consider to be one of the most important of human traits.
                  But it's not a dichotomy. You don't have to choose one or the other. You can read a book in between your sets of squats if you're so worried about training taking away from your intellectual development.

Of course being smart is useful. If I were a proponent of stupidity, wouldn't you tell me that I'm pushing a choice you don't agree with and can't get behind? How is that not what Mr. Anthony and I and canuck and several others have been saying for 21 pages of this thread? It's not a virtue to be dumb. It's not a virtue to be weak. I don't support actively pursuing either.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I agree with the sentiment, but I also feel like strength is inherently useful on a day to day basis.
                    Yeah, I almost added:

"Plus, it just makes life easier" to the end of that post.

Being strong, knowing you can defend yourself, having money in the bank...it all just makes you move through life more easily. It trickles into everything you do.

Comment

Perhaps, but do you really think that Bill Gates glorifies weakness? Or do you think that he just knows his strengths and capitalized on them?
                      No, I'm not saying he glorified weakness. I was saying that your example of Bill Gates was a glorification of weakness. Isn't that why you chose him? Because he's intellectually and financially successful and not big or strong?
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

No, I'm not saying he glorified weakness. I was saying that your example of Bill Gates was a glorification of weakness. Isn't that why you chose him? Because he's intellectually and financially successful and not big or strong?
                        Of course that's why I chose him. It's the Bill Gates of the world who are ultimately successful, not the strong but stupid type... and that has always been the case.

Comment

Of course that's why I chose him. It's the Bill Gates of the world who are ultimately successful, not the strong but stupid type... and that has always been the case.
                          True, they may be more successful, but they won't likely be able to save your life. And, yes, there are times that you need your life saved or to save someone else, even if you live a very blasť life. For example, Knifegill and I were out looking at property to build our house on, and one of the properties was at the top of a very steep hill. In some places this hill was sheer like a cliff, though still covered with trees and ferns. At one point, Knifegill pulled ascended the hill by grabbing a tree and hoisting himself up. While holding onto the tree with one arm, he pulled me up with the other arm. In effect, he curled 130 pounds of me up a cliff. Now, I admit I should have been strong enough to hoist myself up the tree, but I wasn’t, and it was Knifegill’s strength that got us out of that pickle.

Strength allows you to save people, to do things that you otherwise would not have been able to do. If we were not able to climb up that hill (our real estate agent couldn’t—he was overweight and out of shape), we would not have been able to get a look at that property. Strength, just as riches and brains, has its advantages. If you can have all three, why not? If you can only chose one or two, then you have to decide your priorities and what is most advantageous to you. But, strength, nevertheless, has its advantages.

Comment

• But would Bill Gates be the same man and have been as successful if he had spent his spare time at the gym working out rather than writing code? I honestly don't think so. He's a nerd and he got where he is today by being a nerd. That's all I'm saying. The expectation that all men should lift weights to be successful in life is just not true.

Comment

• Originally posted by quikky View Post
                              Having a great strength-to-weight ratio is good for things that involve you doing things to your own body. This relative strength, however, won't help you carry a 250lb man out of a burning building if you can't carry a 250lb man. A 90lb box won't become lighter. Those lug nuts stuck on your car's wheel won't unscrew themselves.

Absolute strength matters. If I'm hurt and need someone to carry me, I'll take the 250lb guy that can deadlift 400lb, rather than the 140lb guy that can deadlift 280lb, even though he is a lot stronger for his weight. My body won't scale itself down to his body.
                              What about our brains? Tough lug nuts are no match for me when I have leverage on my side. Maybe the real goal here is for us all to be as light as possible. That way it will be easy to carry each other to safety, you know, because we won't weigh as much.
                              The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by aliphian View Post
                                What about our brains? Tough lug nuts are no match for me when I have leverage on my side. Maybe the real goal here is for us all to be as light as possible. That way it will be easy to carry each other to safety, you know, because we won't weigh as much.
                                I'd recommend brain usage as well. Brains + brawn is an excellent combination, and rare in modern society.

You can hope for others to be light. I train in case they are not. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst type of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X